House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hedgefunded

How Can This Be Legal

Hell, I'm not going to buy it. Clearly cheap crap.

You won't find anyone more committed to buying quality than me.

Just don't think they should be allowed to advertise something in such a way.

Guest Noodle

Hell, I'm not going to buy it. Clearly cheap crap.

You won't find anyone more committed to buying quality than me.

Just don't think they should be allowed to advertise something in such a way.

What are you looking for?

Recommend Britool, have a look on ebay - carefully.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7000058.htm

Described as a '500 piece combination drill set' when 470 of the pieces are either rawlplugs or screws.

If it's legal, it shouldn't be.

That's the worst yet. I've noticed this with these tool set. 78 pce socket set turns out to be mostly driver heads.

Always read the label.

Not being a drill head what does all this mean? What should you be getting instead?

I'm struggling with the problem here - should Argos demand wage slips and bank statements at the till to make sure you can afford it as well. To what degree do you want to be infantlilised by regulations?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7000058.htm

Described as a '500 piece combination drill set' when 470 of the pieces are either rawlplugs or screws.

If it's legal, it shouldn't be.

I think the photo, showing lots of wallplugs and screws, and the description " *370 various size wall plugs 100 various size wood screws." makes it pretty clear what it is, unless the buyer has a few screws loose already.

Guest Noodle

I'm struggling with the problem here - should Argos demand wage slips and bank statements at the till to make sure you can afford it as well. To what degree do you want to be infantlilised by regulations?

Oh come on, this one really was a piss take.

Imagine getting the thing home, cracking it open for a load of cheap screws and rawl plugs to spill out over the floor. :lol:

Can I ask for some sage advice re: electrical connectors.

I am using a 30kV power supply and am having trouble getting my high voltage and earth wires to stick to their relative contacts (have been using masking tape, duck tape, insulation tape).

Can anyone offer any suggestions of alternatives such as little crocodile clips? I really don't fancy electricuting myself if the wires come away.

Guest Noodle

Can I ask for some sage advice re: electrical connectors.

I am using a 30kV power supply and am having trouble getting my high voltage and earth wires to stick to their relative contacts (have been using masking tape, duck tape, insulation tape).

Can anyone offer any suggestions of alternatives such as little crocodile clips? I really don't fancy electricuting myself if the wires come away.

:lol:

Oh come on, this one really was a piss take.

Imagine getting the thing home, cracking it open for a load of cheap screws and rawl plugs to spill out over the floor. :lol:

Given, £3.99 is about 40 mins minimum wage labour in this country, I'd be surprised there was anything in the box or it was even of sufficient substance to last the journey home.

Guest Noodle

Given, £3.99 is about 40 mins minimum wage labour in this country, I'd be surprised there was anything in the box or it was even of sufficient substance to last the journey home.

It's still price of a Ginster's motorway sarnie though isn't it? Imagine the crushing disappointment.

:lol:

I'm not sure their products will work, water and silicone are two completely different surfaces. Getting stuff to stick to silicon oil is nigh on impossible, that's why it's used as a lubricant.

Guest Noodle

I'm not sure their products will work, water and silicone are two completely different surfaces. Getting stuff to stick to silicon oil is nigh on impossible, that's why it's used as a lubricant.

Degrease first, glue it, dry it, then lube it.

Degrease first, glue it, dry it, then lube it.

Isn't he just trying to stick something to silicone? or have I misunderstood the problem :unsure:

Have a look on google for a silicone based adhesive, that should work. I think someone, somewhere would have invented it.

Guest Noodle

Isn't he just trying to stick something to silicone? or have I misunderstood the problem :unsure:

Have a look on google for a silicone based adhesive, that should work. I think someone, somewhere would have invented it.

No idea what he's doing.

No idea what he's doing.

I'm trying to stick two copper wires to two pieces of aluminium tape. This is inside a wind tunnel operating at 30m/s and the silicone oil-based paint is used for flow visualisation so is liberally applied everywhere.

I want the wires to remain attached to the tape throughout operation so that it is easier (read less hazardous to my health) to earth the system between tests.

Guest Noodle

I'm trying to stick two copper wires to two pieces of aluminium tape. This is inside a wind tunnel operating at 30m/s and the silicone oil-based paint is used for flow visualisation so is liberally applied everywhere.

I want the wires to remain attached to the tape throughout operation so that it is easier (read less hazardous to my health) to earth the system between tests.

:huh:

Does the wind have to be on at the time?