House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Boom Boom

The Dispossessed: Decent And Hardworking... And Hung Out To Dry By The System

It's not living is it it's existing, and this is the life that millions and millions of people in this country are going to experience. Lot's of them even worse than this. the man cannot even afford to travel to work on public transport.

Edited by miko

It's not living is it it's existing, and this is the life that millions and millions of people in this country are going to experience. Lot's of them even worse than this. the man cannot even afford to travel to work on public transport.

+1

Very sad that we have become what we have!

That was me when I first started work in London! I earned £16k and worked in Old Street. I had to live in a room no bigger than a single bed in a shared house in Hackney and walk to work as I couldn't afford the bus fare! I used to have to steal toilet roll from work because I couldn't afford it!

I was 22 and had just left uni. I clawed my way up over the next ten years to a much more comfortable position.

I can't imagine being 50 and having children in this situation. How awful. We seem to be regressing to the days of victorian slums.

Disgusting. We deserve better than this, enough of the bankers getting richer and everyone else getting poorer.

I'm sure lots of people who frequent this site will simply blame the guy in the article for his situation and suggest

he "start his own business" but I would suggest they not be so smug: this kind of thing is coming to a street near

them soon, perhaps to their own house. "There but for the grace of God go I."

I can't imagine being 50 and having children in this situation.

Neither it seems can that Somali bus driver with seven kids.

Where was he again? - Mayfair? :angry:

Edited by Laura

Oh yeah the unemployed bus ticket collector I think you'll find

Bless his little cotton socks :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by Maddog21

The Somali but driver was an exception , an exception that should not be there and won't . The pity with it is the new government are going to use the exception of the Somali to cut the saftey net from under millions of ordinary people and the sheep will agree with it if it does not effect them and the Somali does not have his house any more.

The Somali was a disgrace theat should not have happend people working full time and living like this is a bigger disgrace that is happening and will be happening more and more it will not be stopped in the same way the Somali will be stopped.

I know it's not helpful, but I really don't understand why they stay in London? £21k between the two of them is a pittance down there, but surely they wouldn't take much of a hit re-locating to the North. Assuming they can find work that is....

It's not really the "25% of people earn less than £17,500 a year" that's disturbing. £17.5k actually quite a lot of money by the standards of almost any country in the world.

As a country GDP per capita* is less than £25k... It's a mathematical impossibility for everyone in the country to earn as much, or even nearly as much, as this.

The disgusting thing about this article is that he's wasting such a huge proportion of his income, well over a grand a month, on rent. There should be many hundreds of thousands more council houses and flats, built for about a hundred grand a go, costing about, oh, call it to keep the numbers simple 6% of £100k so £6k a year, £500 a month. That would massively improve the living standards of someone like this.

As a country we cannot 'magic' more income out of thin air to people make this guy richer [we could try taxing the bankers more of course, and clearly they 'deserve' it in moral terms but the risk of them pissing off altogether if they're pushed beyond a certain point {this point being, roughly, where the value of thje very big taxes they pay exceed by a certain amount the value of the very large protection via potential subsidee and bail-outs that we give them} is, sadly, real, if inevitably over-egged by the VI usual suspects]. But there are plenty of things that could be done about his housing costs.

Call me cynical but to me this ES campaign has more than a whiff about it of trying to stop the housing benefit cuts [the real agenda being protecting landlords]. I recently noticed that a couple of my left-leaning friends had joined a facebook campaign arguing the same.

* - these 'capita' obviously include people who are unemployed and/or too young or old to work

Edited by the flying pig

The Somali but driver was an exception , an exception that should not be there and won't . The pity with it is the new government are going to use the exception of the Somali to cut the saftey net from under millions of ordinary people and the sheep will agree with it if it does not effect them and the Somali does not have his house any more.

The Somali was a disgrace theat should not have happend people working full time and living like this is a bigger disgrace that is happening and will be happening more and more it will not be stopped in the same way the Somali will be stopped.

No. no you don't understand, you need to get with the HPC rug chewing freemarketers philosophy: anyone who is not a white, middle class, self employed entrepeneur is in fact dole scrounging chav scum whos circumstances in life are utterly their own doing. The working class are trash and the world would be a better place without them, and as for the unemployed, hey, lets not even go there.

It's not really the "25% of people earn less than £17,500 a year" that's disturbing.

As a country GDP per capita* is less than £25k... It's a mathematical impossibility for everyone to earn as much, or even nearly as much, as this.

The disgusting thing about this article is that he's wasting such a huge proportion of his income, well over a grand a month on rent. There should be many hundreds of thousands more council houses and flats, built for about a hundred grand a go, costing about, oh, call it to keep the numbers simple 6% of £100k so £6k a year, £500 a month.

As a country we cannot 'magic' more income out of thin air to people make this guy richer. But there are plenty of things that could be done about his housing costs.

* - these 'capita' obviously include people who are unemployed and/or too young or old to work

With respect to housing costs, absolutely spot on, couldn't agree more: the worry is that more and more people are being pushed into the rental sector, I personally see it as a deliberate policy (of which increaseing mortgage scarcity is a part) to further impoverish people.

That was me when I first started work in London!

Likewise, I was a 22-year-old graduate who couldn't afford a place with luxuries like hot water. My solution after the initial shock was to flee the wretched place.

...the worry is that more and more people are being pushed into the rental sector, I personally see it as a deliberate policy (of which increaseing mortgage scarcity is a part) to further impoverish people.

I don't really think that today's housing crisis is part of any grand political masterplan... if anything it's the product of a combination of external forces and changes in government rather than the design of any particular one... it's what you get it you take Thatcher's council house sell-off, add a dash of Labour desire to waste huge sums on benefits and also [this was 'new labuor' after all] pander to the homeowner/landlord 'grey vote', not traditionally a strength, by doing everything possible to swell their pwoperdee values & satisfy their NIMBY tendencies... douse liberally with a nice big global credit bubble... and there you have it.

Edited by the flying pig

No. no you don't understand, you need to get with the HPC rug chewing freemarketers philosophy: anyone who is not a white, middle class, self employed entrepeneur is in fact dole scrounging chav scum whos circumstances in life are utterly their own doing. The working class are trash and the world would be a better place without them, and as for the unemployed, hey, lets not even go there.

But what can be done Lucifer? the people prayed to the State and have had thier children raped at choir practice.

Edited by Zngland

Call me cynical but to me this ES campaign has more than a whiff about it of trying to stop the housing benefit cuts [the real agenda being protecting landlords]. I recently noticed that a couple of my left-leaning friends had joined a facebook campaign arguing the same.

Slashing the gravy train that is housing benefit will be the key to slashing rents. Effectively there is a floor put under the market that guarantees a return - and it is quite a solid floor, being 50% of the market rents. Take this away, and rents will fall. The difficult bit is the medium term as the landlords hold out for the old rents, and people can't afford it. Eventually they will be forced to drop (voids become untenable), but the year or two in the middle will be very difficult.

Corrected for you.

With the people in the middle being hit the hardest ,

Corrected for you.

I know it's not helpful, but I really don't understand why they stay in London? £21k between the two of them is a pittance down there, but surely they wouldn't take much of a hit re-locating to the North. Assuming they can find work that is....

You do have a very valid point. You would not have to travel too far to be able to have a far better quality of live than the one they appear to have just now. You do not need to find too high a calibre jobs to replicate the £21K salary they claim to have between them now either. They must both be near minimum wage?

You would have to pay me alot to work in London, I cannot think of many places in the UK I would less like to live in (well ok, I can) but some people really would be alot better off if they abandoned the 'bright lights' and went somewhere that the cost of living is not quite so high.

You do have a very valid point. You would not have to travel too far to be able to have a far better quality of live than the one they appear to have just now. You do not need to find too high a calibre jobs to replicate the £21K salary they claim to have between them now either. They must both be near minimum wage?

You would have to pay me alot to work in London, I cannot think of many places in the UK I would less like to live in (well ok, I can) but some people really would be alot better off if they abandoned the 'bright lights' and went somewhere that the cost of living is not quite so high.

He doesn't live in central London..hes moved out where its cheaper and cycles 7 miles a day into London: sure, maybe he could move up North but, I don't know if you've noticed, there aren't that many jobs up there.

I don't really think that today's housing crisis is part of any grand political masterplan... if anything it's the product of a combination of external forces and changes in government rather than the design of any particular one... it's what you get it you take Thatcher's council house sell-off, add a dash of Labour desire to waste huge sums on benefits and also [this was 'new labuor' after all] pander to the homeowner/landlord 'grey vote', not traditionally a strength, by doing everything possible to swell their pwoperdee values & satisfy their NIMBY tendencies... douse liberally with a nice big global credit bubble... and there you have it.

I think it is , take the government changes that you point out.

1. Thatcher sold of the council houses to make more people buy houses as there was little other choice. At the same time knowing full well that the number of households would swell in the coming decades they did not make sure enough land was earmarked for housing development to keep up with demand. That kept prices high. Her policy was to keep the workers working in a more compliant manner , frightened to go on strike , prepared to work for less, I saw these things happen , young people with big mortgages were very willing workers.

2.Labour promised they would not let house prices get out of control , and then did the opposite, let's not forget that the people making govenment policy have access to much data , facts and figures, they knew that lax lending high mutiples of earnings allowed for mortgages and IO mortgages would push prices up. The other money they wasted on benefits was a price worth paying in order to keep others paying stupid prices for houses. Labour like everyone else are not interested in NIMBY's , but used their objections for more housing being built as an excuse to not build . By the time the bubble had got out of hand it was to late stopping the bubble was going to cause carnage, thats why GB proped up the housing market prior to the electtion.

The problem with all this was people that had bought a house years before were now sitting on massive gains , plus they had good pensions , too many ordinary people were getting to comfortable, Govenments don't like this so they interfered with the pensions rather than the property market . The tories taxed the surpluses , labour taxed the dividends , thus today we have pension funds with big black holes.

But the carnage of a property bubble bursting is on it's way and the govenment will not be able to stop it.

I keep saying this but council housing is unsustainable, otherwise why can't everyone at 18 get one?

Even the commies on here must realize there's only so much a tax relying entity can provide.

PS i have no probs with the "lefties" on here just that if you analyze money in/out it just doesn't

add up.

The State only self serves it is blatantly obvious.

Personally the only thing i think the State should provide is the basics , possibly law/order,

NHS,security. Max cost 15% of GDP.

The left wingers moan but if your skint that is, your Govt's takings are below outgoings what

do we realistically expect.

Lots[me] of the "right" persuasion were born "lefties" but erosion of freedoms, endless tax raising

interference, incompetent economic planning etc has led them[me] to the conclusion the only lefty worth following is the Almighty

Himself.

I keep saying this but council housing is unsustainable, otherwise why can't everyone at 18 get one?

Even the commies on here must realize there's only so much a tax relying entity can provide.

PS i have no probs with the "lefties" on here just that if you analyze money in/out it just doesn't

add up.

The State only self serves it is blatantly obvious.

Personally the only thing i think the State should provide is the basics , possibly law/order,

NHS,security. Max cost 15% of GDP.

The left wingers moan but if your skint that is, your Govt's takings are below outgoings what

do we realistically expect.

Lots[me] of the "right" persuasion were born "lefties" but erosion of freedoms, endless tax raising

interference, incompetent economic planning etc has led them[me] to the conclusion the only lefty worth following is the Almighty

Himself.

jesus freak alert

I have to say that part of the London property problem has been exacerbated by wealthy foreign nationals buying up huge amounts of prime property in the capital. Something like 50 percent of all property over £750K is bought by foreign nationals as investments, and tends to remain empty.

Their investment purchases not only push up prices, but have also created a ripple-out effect where it has pushed people who might have once lived in Belgravia and Knightsbridge (politicians, aristos, celebs etc) into zones once occupied by people on lower incomes (Notting Hill, Clapham), who then, in turn, have been pushed out into areas where people with lower incomes than theirs would have lived.

I found an article on this: Telegraph, and I think this bit of the report is interesting.

Experts said the number of wealthy Russians, Italians, French and Middle Eastern buyers were helping the top end of London avoid the wobble in house prices, which had affected the rest of the country. But they warned that it could distort the market, pushing up prices of large family homes at the expense of long-term residents of the capital.

Wealthy foreign buyers have part of the property scene in London for decades, especially in areas such as Belgravia, Knightsbridge and Mayfair, where prices have risen so high most families cannot afford to live there. Most residents in these areas are international businessmen, many on short-term leases. Many of the properties are purely investments and remain empty.

Savills said that what was eye-catching was that international buyers, who previously had dominated the market for properties worth £2 million or more, were starting to look at less expensive homes, down to £750,000 – the price of a four-bed home in many parts of London, not just the very centre.

Myabe it really is time to whack huge taxes on empty property before the uber-rich buy everything from under our feet.

Edited by dissident junk