House Price Crash Forum

No Charges Over G20 Man's Death

muggle

HOLA441
No charges over G20 man's death

An officer who was filmed apparently pushing a man to the ground during the G20 protests will not face charges over his death.

Ian Tomlinson, 47, died minutes after being caught up in the clashes on 1 April 2009 in the City of London.

Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer said the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) concluded that "there was no realistic prospect of conviction".

The incident and its aftermath was caught on amateur video.

The officer, a member of the Metropolitan Police's territorial support group, is currently suspended.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-10723274

This is not good

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Bloody angry the video evidence was overwhelming this copper at the very least was guilty of aggravated assault.

The system is corrupt how much more evidence do people need to see that!!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Shame the enquiry was still working on a brief from the last government.

Perverting justice was a hallmark of the labour government. I must call on Doctor Patel the next time I kill someone. I wonder if he is related to that corrupt asian prosecutor in the CPS in Wales ?. There is a common thread emerging here

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Presumably as there are no charges this thug is free to return to duty to carry on 'spreading the message'?

As an ex army bloke that policed the streets of NI alongside the now defunct RUC this is a very sad day. The UK police service has just suffered an extreme leg down in confidence from members of the public.

Are they still doing the online petition thing on the No 10 website?

HOLA4416
Guest UK Debt Slave

Push a copper over and see what happens to you.

Careful. You're putting ideas in my head

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I heard the announcement live on the radio. I was surprised there was no shouts:

"Mr Starmer said that there was a "sharp disagreement between the medical experts" about the cause of death, which led to three post-mortem examinations being conducted on Mr Tomlinson."

I'm sure I heard some waffle about the fact that he couldn't be charged with common assault because it had been over 6 months since the offence. I must have misheard that because there is no statute of limitations in the U.K., is there?

He didn't deserve it, but I thought there was something strange about him just slouching along with his hands in his pockets whilst being screamed at to go away. Why did he go that way home. Provocation? :ph34r::ph34r:

HOLA4419
Guest UK Debt Slave

a clear message that the Police can murder innocent people and get away with it. a travesty

So the police are above the law?

Who would have thunk it!

I was at the G20 rally outside the Bank of England and I can assure you, the way the police behaved was a fekkn disgrace.

I overheard one of the dayglo fascists screaming "They are worse than terrorists" to one of his stormtrooper mates.

I asked him how he could make such an absurd statement.

He waved a truncheon in front of my face and told me, "Mind your own f@cking business"

Like many others at the time, I said that copper would never face trial for killing that guy. The outcome was absolutely predictable

HOLA4420

And there were soome loons on here the other week wondering why there were cheers when Moat went off on one.

Perhaps history will show that Moats facebook supporters were actually the more enlightened members of society

HOLA4421

Bloody angry the video evidence was overwhelming this copper at the very least was guilty of aggravated assault.

The system is corrupt how much more evidence do people need to see that!!

I am so angry.

This news just deepens my contempt for the legal system and lessens my respect for the police.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

What's all this b0llox about the DPP saying about the three PM's not delivering a credible result and that there was little chance of a conviction?

Correct me if I am wrong but is it not the job of a jury to decide upon evidence presented? Utter codswallop there is evidence of an assault and the guy dies a few minutes later if there is some doubt then let it be settled in the way it always is with a jury deliberating!!

The results of all the PM's would have to be weighed against each other as would the history and regard of the first Home Office Doctor.

If Moat had been captured reckon they wouldn't have charged him?

This stinks of shite to high heaven!!

Edit to add link

Copper involved had a history of violence to public

HOLA4424

A disgusting but predictable decision. I'm sure there are many lawyers, pathologists and police officers who are appalled by the behaviour of their counterparts in this shameful business. The police appear above the law and they are rapidly losing public support as a result.

Anecdote: A friend used to work for the police in London. He told me the story of a policeman caught snorting cocaine IN THE POLICE STATION. No charge. No caution. Just a reprimand. They didn't want to damage his career prospects. I thought this was bad but that was before the police started to detain, assault and kill innocent bystanders with impunity.

HOLA4425

Archived