House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

U - Turn Too Far As Government Scraps Ban On Hospital Parking Rip Off

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296650/Hospitals-charging-car-parking-Coalition-Government-scraps-Labour-pledge.html

Hospitals can keep on charging for car parking as Coalition Government scraps Labour pledge
By DANIEL MARTIN
Last updated at 10:53 PM on 21st July 2010
'A tax of the sick': Staff and patients alike are forced to pay car par charges at hospitals such as this, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, in Birmingham
Labour's pledge to abolish hospital car parking costs has been scrapped by the Coalition Government.
The party had promised to bring England into line with Scotland and Wales by banning charges for patients and visitors within three years.
Critics have described the fees, which make more than £100million a year for hospital trusts, as a 'tax on the sick'.

Looks like there will be no upside to the Koalishon. Just a nice big fat scrumptious HPC!

When I visit a hospital I park on a street somewhere and use it as an opportunity to get some exercise while saving money. Don't encourage them by paying to visit the sick.

£100 million a year works out to 1/1000th of the NHS yearly budget of £100 billion. It seems an easy way to win votes by just saying 'make it free'.

But I'm sure the Tories see it as a place businessmen can make a profit.. and best of all taking an aspect of life and turning it into an economic transaction. With rents, taxes, middlemen etc..

£100 million a year works out to 1/1000th of the NHS yearly budget of £100 billion. It seems an easy way to win votes by just saying 'make it free'.

But I'm sure the Tories see it as a place businessmen can make a profit.. and best of all taking an aspect of life and turning it into an economic transaction. With rents, taxes, middlemen etc..

Its not so much the profit aspect which is all fine and dandy for businesses. But hospitals?

This whole country is a rip-off these days. Just applied to have our business line transferred to new premises and they want £149 to do so.

Transferring my Virgin media package to my new rental and you have to sign up for another year's contract because they don't do transfers.

We need another agency--consumer watchdog with big nasty sharp teeth that can impose penalties on rip-off merchants like the banks, hospital parking "franchises," and other rackets including the clampers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1296650/Hospitals-charging-car-parking-Coalition-Government-scraps-Labour-pledge.html

Hospitals can keep on charging for car parking as Coalition Government scraps Labour pledge
By DANIEL MARTIN
Last updated at 10:53 PM on 21st July 2010
'A tax of the sick': Staff and patients alike are forced to pay car par charges at hospitals such as this, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, in Birmingham
Labour's pledge to abolish hospital car parking costs has been scrapped by the Coalition Government.
The party had promised to bring England into line with Scotland and Wales by banning charges for patients and visitors within three years.
Critics have described the fees, which make more than £100million a year for hospital trusts, as a 'tax on the sick'.

Looks like there will be no upside to the Koalishon. Just a nice big fat scrumptious HPC!

When I visit a hospital I park on a street somewhere and use it as an opportunity to get some exercise while saving money. Don't encourage them by paying to visit the sick.

My mother (92) fell and broke her hip last week. I was in to see her every day - parking charges were £1.80 for up to an hour, £3.30 for 1-2 hours.

I'm lucky in that the hospital is walking distance from the house, but usually I was nipping in to see her either on the way to work or on the way home, i.e. in the car. And since an hour wasn't quite enough, it was £3.30 a pop.

I don't miss that, but it's a lot for anyone on a low income, esp. with a relative in for any length of time. And you can't park anywhere else nearby.

(Mind you this hospital has the added problem of being very close to a commuter station - they used to get a lot of rail users abusing their car park.)

An added irritation was that the machines didn't take cards. Or notes either - exact money only. More than once I had to go and buy something small with a tenner to make sure I had the right change. In my circs. it was a minor inconvenience, but anyone visiting a seriously ill relative really doesn't need the extra stress of finding they haven't got the right change for the car park.

My mother (92) fell and broke her hip last week. I was in to see her every day - parking charges were £1.80 for up to an hour, £3.30 for 1-2 hours.

I'm lucky in that the hospital is walking distance from the house, but usually I was nipping in to see her either on the way to work or on the way home, i.e. in the car. And since an hour wasn't quite enough, it was £3.30 a pop.

I don't miss that, but it's a lot for anyone on a low income, esp. with a relative in for any length of time. And you can't park anywhere else nearby.

(Mind you this hospital has the added problem of being very close to a commuter station - they used to get a lot of rail users abusing their car park.)

An added irritation was that the machines didn't take cards. Or notes either - exact money only. More than once I had to go and buy something small with a tenner to make sure I had the right change. In my circs. it was a minor inconvenience, but anyone visiting a seriously ill relative really doesn't need the extra stress of finding they haven't got the right change for the car park.

Brighton have a variation on the "no change given" parking meters. Lets say parking is free from 6 pm until 8 am. You arrive at the meter at 5:40 pm and put in the minimum £1 for a one hour stay--no change given. They extend your time to 8:40 am the next day. Utterly useless to the driver but it appears Brighton are getting ready to defend some law suits for charging for an hour when the customer only wants 20 minutes.

This whole country is a rip-off these days. Just applied to have our business line transferred to new premises and they want £149 to do so.

Transferring my Virgin media package to my new rental and you have to sign up for another year's contract because they don't do transfers.

Yeah but what's a few hundred when your house is printing £2k every month. Those were the days ;)

The trouble with this country is it's still partying like its 1999 and the party was granted an extension with QE and ZIRP.

QE-II anyone? :angry:

Its not so much the profit aspect which is all fine and dandy for businesses. But hospitals?

We need another agency--consumer watchdog with big nasty sharp teeth that can impose penalties on rip-off merchants like the banks, hospital parking "franchises," and other rackets including the clampers.

Its basically like I buy a strip of the sidewalk. And start charging people £5 pounds a day to walk on it. What value am I adding to society? I 'create' jobs for my enforcers to check if people have the permits on them, and to take payments, and to collect fines for violators. I pay taxes on profits and wages. I pay the bankers back for the loan I took to purchase the sidewalk plus interest.

After our first child was born in St James' in Leeds, the wife had to stay in hospital for 4 days due to complications.

Visiting them during that period cost me almost £80 in hospital parking charges.

My mother (92) fell and broke her hip last week.  I was in to see her every day - parking charges were £1.80 for up to an hour, £3.30 for 1-2 hours.

I'm lucky in that the hospital is walking distance from the house, but usually I was nipping in to see her either on the way to work or on the way home, i.e. in the car.  And since an hour wasn't quite enough, it was £3.30 a pop.  

I don't miss that, but it's a lot for anyone on a low income, esp.  with a relative in for any length of time. And you can't park anywhere else nearby.    

An added irritation was that the machines didn't take cards. Or notes either - exact money only. More than once I had to go and buy something small with a tenner to make sure I had the right change.  In my circs. it was a minor inconvenience, but anyone visiting a seriously ill relative really doesn't need the extra stress of finding they haven't got the right change for the car park.

But as you say you are only walking distance from the house so it was your choice and had it been free you wouldn't have been able to park at all. My local hospital is 2 miles from the town centre with loads of buses, but you would think it was Meadowhall Shopping Centre on a Saturday morning rather than a hospital, judging by the traffic.

Its basically like I buy a strip of the sidewalk. And start charging people £5 pounds a day to walk on it. What value am I adding to society? I 'create' jobs for my enforcers to check if people have the permits on them, and to take payments, and to collect fines for violators. I pay taxes on profits and wages. I pay the bankers back for the loan I took to purchase the sidewalk plus interest.

This is like much of what we see today. Same money being recycled round and round.

Sorry for the crude description here but it's like a dog being trapped in a room, forced to eat its own faeces to survive, each time around the loop the nutrition gets reduced , ultimately the dog staves and dies.

The UK is that dog :unsure:

Our local General Hospital has pay & display parking for all (even staff who work there, including those called in as an emergency). They back it up with signs saying that non-payers will be wheel clamped.

What most folk don't know is that the hospital Trust in question is pretty much technically bankrupt & so can only afford ONE wheel clamp. So if you see that one clamped car you know you can park for free without any worries.

This is like much of what we see today. Same money being recycled round and round.

Sorry for the crude description here but it's like a dog being trapped in a room, forced to eat its own faeces to survive, each time around the loop the nutrition gets reduced , ultimately the dog staves and dies.

Good analogy.

As always, for those that don't have to eat it, everything is wonderful.

I'm pretty sure the Tories aren't keen on agencies and watchdogs.

I'm sure the Lib Dems like them, but what they like is, of course, irrelevant.

Latest scam is charging people to pick up/set down outside of airports. Several are now doing it, the latest one is Belfast:

UTV news

A £1 fee for drivers picking up and dropping off passengers at Belfast International Airport has come into effect, despite widespread criticism.

Wednesday, 07 July 2010

According to Belfast International Airport, the new system will improve access into the terminal, in accordance with new safety guidelines.

"We have invested heavily in this new system for pick up and set down in order to bring us into line with UK Government guidelines stating that we must increase the distance between vehicle zones and the terminal building, following the Glasgow Airport bomb in June 2007," the airport said.

Article Continues

"This new facility will make dropping off at Belfast International Airport faster and easier."

The new drop-off and pick up zone is available for a maximum of ten minutes, before clamping with an £80 release fee comes into effect.

Hmmm ... your pavement idea sounds pretty good. Best start buying up the prime bits now before canny investors get in there.

But as you say you are only walking distance from the house so it was your choice and had it been free you wouldn't have been able to park at all. My local hospital is 2 miles from the town centre with loads of buses, but you would think it was Meadowhall Shopping Centre on a Saturday morning rather than a hospital, judging by the traffic.

Not really - since she's got Alz. I wanted to be there at certain times (feeding and drugs round) in order to help and coax, since she hadn't a clue what was going on, didn't even understand why she was there, and could be very difficult.

So it usually meant zooming there straight from work - in the car.

Otherwise I'd have been too late.

If I buy four wheel clamps, park and put them on myself- can they touch me legally? Would it be legal, for example, to block me in and demand money, or would that be demanding money with menaces of something?

Guest Noodle

If I buy four wheel clamps, park and put them on myself- can they touch me legally? Would it be legal, for example, to block me in and demand money, or would that be demanding money with menaces of something?

That's genius.

Over the last 18 months I've had reason to visit various hospitals a fair bit unfortunately - I think the charging is disgusting. I don't understand it either - its vile that they feel they can chip money out of people every step of the way. I wouldn't mind but some of the hospitals were terrible - Good Hope in Sutton Coldfield was filthy - no wonder they call it No Hope. Couldn't the carparking money pay for a cleaner? Absolute disgrace. Don't get me started on what the they charge for people to watch TV - it really makes me angry that this kind of cr*p is allowed to happen in England. Is this why man rose up from the clay - to tax people to provide a health service and then charge for car parking if one of your loved ones becomes ill? Grr etc.

After our first child was born in St James' in Leeds, the wife had to stay in hospital for 4 days due to complications.

Visiting them during that period cost me almost £80 in hospital parking charges.

So a completely trivial and instantly forgettable amount then? Are parking charges at NHS hospitals really the first thing anyone here would spend money on abolishing if there was some spare? Just why would anyone expect the taxpayer to pick up their parking bill, particularly if the consequence would be a lack of parking space?

A place to park - £2 ph. A four-hour wait in A&E while in severe pain - priceless.

(I am aware that some believe the reason for the charges is to provide a generous profit margin rather than to help fund the NHS. This is a separate problem, and one that would need solving if real. Similarly, their phone charges might need looking at.)

They use a lorry with a crane.