House Price Crash Forum
5lab

Transferring Euros Into Pounds (Buying Sterling)

Hello all

irrespective of future growth, investment potential etc, my better half has some income coming in (approx €400/month) into a french account, in Euros, that she needs to be able to spend in Pounds. She's able to wait a few months and transfer, say, €1200 a time, but that's probably the most. What's the most cost effective way of doing this? I figure with you guys all trading currencies there must be a way of avoiding the ~10% spread you'd get hit by just withdrawing cash on a card, or just going to a standard holiday money place? or is the amount too small?

Thanks for your help

Hugh

Edited by 5lab

Hello all

irrespective of future growth, investment potential etc, my better half has some income coming in (approx €400/month) into a french account, in Euros, that she needs to be able to spend in Pounds. She's able to wait a few months and transfer, say, €1200 a time, but that's probably the most. What's the most cost effective way of doing this? I figure with you guys all trading currencies there must be a way of avoiding the ~10% spread you'd get hit by just withdrawing cash on a card, or just going to a standard holiday money place? or is the amount too small?

Thanks for your help

Hugh

I use these chaps...they're good, you can do ita ll online and they're much cheaper than a bank..

http://hifx.co.uk/

I'm quite surprised by the 10% hit on cash-withdraw using a UK bank-machine with a foreign card. My dutch bank doesn't charge for foreign cash-machine transactions and the exchange rates are good....so part of the answer might also be to simply look for a French bank that offers a better/cheaper service?

Hello all

Thanks for your help

Hugh

I use UKForex.com Have been very good and the spreads are much lower than banks/credit cards etc.

What about setting up both a sterling account and a euro account with the bank of scotland offshore.?

We use them and if your transfering money between accounts held with them i don't think they charge anything. They also don't charge for using the cash machines abroad, when you take out the currency which is in the account. ( via your debt card)

We live in Cyprus and use three different currencies and have found this the best way. B)

Edited by audi tt