House Price Crash Forum
TheBlueCat

David Bloom, Currency Chief At Hsbc

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/7903463/Swiss-endure-safe-haven-agony-from-euro-flight.html

"If we have a US slowdown with a fresh financial crisis, everybody is going to want to buy the Swiss franc, along with bottled water, tins hats, and a shotgun," said David Bloom, currency chief at HSBC. "Now that Japan’s debt is around 200pc of GDP the franc has displaced the yen as the ultimate safe haven."

I was Reading the telegraph I think and seeing that quote made me chuckle. Can you drink water from the Tyne btw?

Ironically, Switzerland itself looked wobbly at the height of the credit crisis, thanks to the global exposure of its banks and vast losses at UBS on US property debt. Credit default swaps measuring bond risk suggested then that the country was losing its crown to oil-rich Norway. "What has changed everything again is that the banking crisis has mutated into a debt crisis," said Mr Bloom.

Switzerland’s budget deficit is just 1pc of GDP; gross public debt is 40pc; the current account surplus is 9pc; unemployment is 3.9pc. Above all, the eight million Swiss are still world’s unchallenged uber-rich with half a trillion dollars of external assets to back them up. "Whatever the problem, they can cover it," said Mr Bloom.

How quickly times change.

I was Reading the telegraph I think and seeing that quote made me chuckle. Can you drink water from the Tyne btw?

of course you can, it's surely safer than the old Newcastle Brown ale