House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CasualBear

I Never Thought I'd Hear These Words

CB is reading the paper with some friends known to be renting (who have wanted to buy for ages)

CB: oh look, there's an article here that says house prices will fall 20%

Friends: that doesn't help us, we're trying to buy a house

:o:lol::lol::lol:

At this point I had to leave it, having been into trouble with the other half for challenging this kind of sh1t. When I asked her later about it - she hadn't noticed and took a while to work out why I find it so strange.

WTF is with people?

Are they trying to buy a house in London? One of my friends rants constantly that the national news stories about falling prices never seem to relate to what's happening in Palmer's Green.

The whole housing belief system is going to take some changing in this country. Maybe the only way it will ever change is if people who believe in it lose many tens or even hundreds of thousands of pounds.

I don't celebrate anyone loosing money (BTL'ers aside) but if this is the only way to get a sentiment change then so be it.

Are they trying to buy a house in London? One of my friends rants constantly that the national news stories about falling prices never seem to relate to what's happening in Palmer's Green.

I'm renting near Palmers Green and your friend is right. Reality has yet to strike. Very few new properties either.

I'm renting near Palmers Green and your friend is right. Reality has yet to strike. Very few new properties either.

Be patient, London is in a mega bubble and has fuelled the UK housing market for 30 years. It will not be immune (as it was not in 2008) and this next leg will be the time that London gets it much needed correction.

From my knowledge of this area more properties are coming on but some places aren't moving. The ones that stick are terraced and over priced. Slightly more keanly priced properties have sold in a day. A near derelict end of terrace property sold at auction in May for £375k, the highest achieved price in the vicinity for a similar property was 435k. It is unlikely you could renovate the auction purchase for 60k. I'm puzzled to say the least...........btw the there was alot of interest at and before the auction.

CB is reading the paper with some friends known to be renting (who have wanted to buy for ages)

At this point I had to leave it, having been into trouble with the other half for challenging this kind of sh1t. When I asked her later about it - she hadn't noticed and took a while to work out why I find it so strange.

WTF is with people?

I don't understand? What are they saying?

WTF is with people?

They are right!

In the short term falling house prices are a barrier to FTBs. The barriers to getting a mortgage will be raised well beyond their reach. You just need to motivate them to wait it out for when house prices, if not become cheap, become affordable again.

They are right!

In the short term falling house prices are a barrier to FTBs. The barriers to getting a mortgage will be raised well beyond their reach. You just need to motivate them to wait it out for when house prices, if not become cheap, become affordable again.

Cash rich professional dinkys looking to invest the family nest egg for fear of inflation.

I disagree about the short term, but you seem to suggest with that in the long term falling prices help FTBs?