House Price Crash Forum
darwin

Rightmove's Draw-A-Search Tool

Could be handy. If you're searching in a town you know well but what to specifically include or exclude parts of it, you can't always do it by postcode. Town names are a bit hit and miss too because the 1 mile, 2 miles etc radius is all inclusive and 'as the crow flies.'

This very good since one of the post codes I use crosses a bloody railway line which adds about 15 mintes to a walk to the station.

That said, this is no different really to another property website I've seen that lists all propertys for sale on a big map. Can't remember what it's called though?? blink.gif

Rightmove's new "Draw-a-Search" Tool.

Anyone tried it? Is it really any more useful than searching by postcode?

And it works for lettings too. :)

(We decided to rent a better place for 2-3 years. The HP bottom will take a while to arrive... :( )

This very good since one of the post codes I use crosses a bloody railway line which adds about 15 mintes to a walk to the station.

That said, this is no different really to another property website I've seen that lists all propertys for sale on a big map. Can't remember what it's called though?? blink.gif

You mean globrix or the google one? To my mind this is better as you'll be able to incorporate property bee

Excellent tool. Thanks for the heads up

That is excellent.

Your search was centred on Wormwood Scrubs, anything you want to tell us? :D

Cor blimey Guv'nor!

It's a fair cop and no mistake. You got me bang to rights you 'ave.

It was me wot done it and I deserve to go down!

:lol:

It seems like it will be a useful tool, but it only came up with 8 houses for sale in the whole of the area I selected, and I know from regular searches that there are that many in one village alone within that area!

I was thinking of a perfect house search tool, which would be an extension of this draw a search.

I work as a freelancer from home and so "home" could be anywhere we choose to rent (or buy) in the uk within reason, so I want a really broad search

What I want from a search is this:

• The usual price range tools
  • The ability to search the entire country.
  • Houses located within a set distance of multiple postcodes (wouldn't really want to be more than 4 hours from my parents in the the midlands and my wife's dad in Yorkshire)
  • a town/region blacklist for places I'd NEVER consider living in or living in again (Middlesbrough, Moss Side, London to name but three)
  • Motorway/A Road Checkbox (This could work both ways, I personally want to be at least 2 miles from any motorway/noisy roads, others who travel a lot might want the opposite)
  • Similar checkboxes for Railway stations/hospitals/supermarkets with radius options (ie within five miles but no nearer than 500 yards)
  • A decent way to search for old houses (ie pre 1950s) (Rightmove's system of previously owned/new and "character" properties is woefully inadequate. Character searches often bring up depressing new builds, and there is no way to narrow by the era of house you want ie Georgian, Edwardian, Victorian, 1930s, modern...)

Surely something like this should be achievable as a mash up of rightmove/googlemaps/OS and other sources.

I picture it as a map of the uk with areas slowly blacking out as I increase the number of checkboxes I tick, until I am left with the very specific requirements I have. But with locality being almost the least important thing, rather than the current systems which all ask "where do you want to rent/buy?" as the first question.

Sorry that was longer than I had anticipated when I started typing

Anyone have any opinion on my search dream?

Edited by Bear Necessities

Hadn't seen that - thanks for posting.

Though I should add, not before time! Polygons have been a pretty fundamental part of GIS since long before Rightmove existed.

er...yes. :blink:

I don't know, I'm suspicious I suppose. I never believe things like this get implemented properly.

I'll use it in parallel with the postcode search for a while, and see if it gives me exactly what I want.