House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exiges

Uk Home Sales Continue To Increase

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10710237

The number of homes sold in the UK in June rose by 21% from May to 86,000, HM Revenue & Customs has said.

The sales figures were the highest this year and were up 15% on the same month last year.

It means sales so far this year have been 21% higher than in the first six months of 2009.

On Tuesday, the Bank of England warned the tight supply of mortgages might become worse in the coming months which could stop sales growing much faster.

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics) said the figures meant house sales were still subdued.

"Sales are still running well below the levels preceding the onset of the credit crunch, partly because of a shortage of mortgage finance as well as, until recently, the lack of stock on the market," a spokesman said.

But, but, .. the world cup... etc.

Seems a bit out of kilter., I'm expecting the widespread release of the 'unexpected' any time soon.

But, but, .. the world cup... etc.

Seems a bit out of kilter., I'm expecting the widespread release of the 'unexpected' any time soon.

These are completions though, so will be a little bit "laggy".

If this is confirmed by the Land Registry on the 28th then it is indeed a jump, since average monthly sales are around 50,000 this year (against around 30,000 in the latter part of 2009). In spite of the increased offerings since the demise of the HIP, increased sales volume on this scale will mean increased prices, confounding all the experts predicting a fall in house prices this year.

IMHO the only thing that will derail the slow steady increase in prices is an interest rate hike. It is all still so fragile that a quarter per cent hike will frighten at least 5pct off prices pretty quickly.

I was wondering if there is a deliberate decision at the BBC to only publish positive HPI news. Seems they have totally ignored all negative HPI stories in the last 2 months and only select "house prices rising" news for their website.

I remember the government in 2008 accusing journalists of "talking us into a recession" and suggesting that saying house prices might fall is tantamount to treason. Is the BBC following a deliberate policy or is it just subconscious bias?

I remember the BBC News team doing a big presentation on the Win a House in Devon Raffle, with the news team (Bill and Sian) cooing over "what a brilliant prize for some lucky person....a million pound house for a ten pound ticket".............as close to Shopping Channel TV as I've ever seen on a News Prog. It's a fine line I guess.

These are NSA numbers

There's always a big jump from May to June

Do you have past numbers to firm this up? It is at face value a large increase.