House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

athom

Someone's Bought All The Chocolate!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets/7895242/Mystery-trader-buys-all-Europes-cocoa.html

Mystery trader buys all Europe's cocoa

The purchase was enough to move the entire global cocoa market, sending the price to the highest level since 1977, and triggering rumours and intrigue in the City.

It is unclear which person, or group of traders, was behind the deal, but it was the largest single cocoa trade for 14 years.

The cocoa beans, which are sitting in warehouses either in The Netherlands, Hamburg, or closer to home in London, Liverpool or Humberside is equivalent to the entire supply of the commodity in Europe, and would fill more than five Titanics. They are worth £658 million.

Analysts said it was very unlikely that a chocolate company, such as Nestle or Kraft, or even their suppliers, would buy such a huge order in one go and that is was probable that one or a number of speculators, possibly hedge funds, had attempted to corner the market. By doing this, they would have control of the entire supply in Europe, forcing the price yet higher.

Eugen Weinberg, an analyst with Commerzbank, said: “For one buyer it would likely be a little bit too large. It would be a crazy number. That said, if you’re cornering the market ...”

“If it looks like cornering, feels like cornering and the price difference between Europe and the US is so large, it probably is cornering.”

“There is some play taking place. No one really knows what is going on.”

What next :rolleyes:

better yet, lets all stop buying chocolate products - they make you fat anyway and there are loads of sugary alternatives.

Imagine the look on a hedgies face when he realises hes stuck with 241,000 tonnes of beans that nobody wants!!

I suppose he could invite his mates on skiing holidays on his bean mountain!

a massive trade goes on, in a public exchange, and no-one knows who it is?? some sellers would know, brokers would know..the SEC or whatever overlooks the market would know.

give me a break.

All thats needed is a good rumour.......

hmmmmm....

My mate says Eating Chocolate makes your pubes grow faster.... allegedly!

a massive trade goes on, in a public exchange, and no-one knows who it is?? some sellers would know, brokers would know..the SEC or whatever overlooks the market would know.

give me a break.

A Kit-Kat?

p-o-p

A Kit-Kat?

p-o-p

would have to be, the bankers bought all the lyin bars.

Have you ever noticed that chocolate is mostly eaten by fat women that are too ugly and smelly to pull a bloke?

I'm not sure I even have to put allegedly after that one!

It's no mystery. The buyer was a hedge fund - Anthony Ward's Armajaro.

He's NUTS, WHOLE HAZEL NUTS, OOOOH!, HEDGEFUND BUYS THEM AND COVERS THEM WITH CHOCLIT.

would have to be, the bankers bought all the lyin bars.

Kit-Kats can only go up in price. They're not making any more you know. This heist will cause a chocolate bubble (Think that used to be called an Aero).

p-o-p

...but that is not such a good story is it?

Its brilliant. We now know who shoot, come the revolution!

It's got to be the Swiss. Bankers AND chocolatiers:

harry_and_paul_episode_0202.jpg

definately going to end up as a swizz.

thats what cornering the market usually means.

Our chocolate is mostly made in Poland these days and tastes like crap.

The last lot I bought was made by a small local producer, I guess they will suffer too now.

give me a break.

there are a few firms that could handle this, one I read about that is well known for handelling huge trades like this used because it will keep absolute secrecy and because it acts only in the interest of its client unlike gs et al.

I believe the person who made this trade has actually taken delivery of it. This makes it a bit more difficult to knock than typical hedgefund activities. No different to the goldbugs on here really.

Water off a duck's back to Cadbury's/Kraft. I doubt there is so much as a single cocoa bean in their annual output of brown fat lumps :P Now if someone could corner the market in palm oil.....