House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
brocken spectre

Stamp Duty Turns Green

Seems pretty aimless to me,stamp duty meddlin.

"Sorry,no roof,extra 1/2% stamp duty."

BS

Smells of unintended consequences.

Upgrade place to meet stamp duty standards before selling. Minimal upgrades are wasted as new owner does a proper job. The last thing you want is a new gas boiler if you're planning a ground source heat pump and solar panels.

Edited by porca misèria

Seems pretty aimless to me,stamp duty meddlin.

"Sorry,no roof,extra 1/2% stamp duty."

BS

Can't see it having any real effect to be honest.

Yesterday, critics warned that a hike in stamp duty could hit the property market and be disastrous for the economy.

hmmm so lower housing costs giving people more disposable income to spend in the wider economy is actually a bad thing?

Edited by Pent Up

As Injin often reminds us, Government is a pernicious hangover from when a time when psychopathic monarchs could threaten violence to coerce The People. (For instance, Henry VIII couldn't read a clock face, but he could bump off his wives with equanimity).

The private sector has never had such barbarous options at its disposal. Instead it has has to develop and rely on psychological techniques to induce consumers to act by making subtle appeals to status, ego and self-image in order to thrive.

Threaten someone and the best you can expect is begrudging compliance; flatter them and you'll get willing obedience ("Because your worth it")

(This goes someway to explaining why governments are generally disliked but corporations are admired).

It's because the government insists on taking coercive measures instead of deploying inducive techniques that the main upshot of this legislation will be to raise tax revenue.

Until the same marketing techniques used to sell premium brand luxury goods (Louis Vuitton/BMW etc) are applied to the hippy, dreary, geeky world of energy efficiency all the

will ever amount to is a gnat farting in the face of a hurricane. Edited by Dave Spart

I always thought the Energy report looked the same as that emission BS colour indicator on cars...only a matter of time before stamp duty and council tax are paid on how much carbons you are told you use.

Thought they would have gone away with HIPS though.

I always thought the Energy report looked the same as that emission BS colour indicator on cars...only a matter of time before stamp duty and council tax are paid on how much carbons you are told you use.

Thought they would have gone away with HIPS though.

Does not surprise me one bit...saw that one coming, might make people look twice at the detached, high ceilings, drafty sash windows, no cavity wall filling etc.

Does not surprise me one bit...saw that one coming, might make people look twice at the detached, high ceilings, drafty sash windows, no cavity wall filling etc.

... which were built and occupied by people who used less fossil fuel than we do today, and which aren't going to magically disappear and be replaced with modern units just because we've signed an agreement.

It's not the houses burn fossil fuels, it's people. If we seriously intend to burn less fossil fuel, fossil fuel is where the price signal needs to go.

... which were built and occupied by people who used less fossil fuel than we do today, and which aren't going to magically disappear and be replaced with modern units just because we've signed an agreement.

It's not the houses burn fossil fuels, it's people. If we seriously intend to burn less fossil fuel, fossil fuel is where the price signal needs to go.

I did not say it is right or wrong it is inevitable.....I agree to a point but large old houses, open plan vaulted ceiling properties need to burn more fuel to keep them warm, it is simply another way to get people to pay more....best to do what you can to insulate your home as best as you can and get a fuel efficient boiler...save on taxes and fuel bills and feel warmer. ;)