House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woot

Bonuses For Senior Home Office Staff

Am I the only one to have a problem with this...? I understand the concept of bonus in lieu of pay, and of bonuses attracting a better calibre of people, but really - everyone else is getting their head around cuts so why not these 'Mandarins' too?

Hundreds of thousands of pounds in bonuses are to be paid to Home Office staff amid a public sector pay freeze.

Immigration minister Damien Green told the Commons home affairs select committee that the payments to senior officials would total £773,000.

But he said it was in effect a pay cut because the amount set aside for bonuses last year was £1.4m.

The Home Office said that, like others in the department, the staff would not be getting a pay rise.

BBC home affairs correspondent June Kelly says Prime Minister David Cameron has reiterated that when it comes to public sector pay those at the top have got to set an example.

Home Office mandarins, like others in the public sector, are subject to a pay freeze - but there are "extras on some salary slips", she says.

Freeze

Chancellor George Osborne announced plans to freeze the pay of workers in the public sector for two years, except for those earning less than £21,000 a year, in his Budget in June.

Some 1.7 million public sector workers whose salary falls below that threshold will get a flat pay rise worth £250 in both years.

Ahead of the Budget, Mr Cameron warned that the deficit would not be dealt with by "just hitting either the rich or the welfare scrounger".

Am I the only one to have a problem with this...? I understand the concept of bonus in lieu of pay, and of bonuses attracting a better calibre of people, but really - everyone else is getting their head around cuts so why not these 'Mandarins' too?

Perhaps they could now start contributing to their pensions.:ph34r:

So its the freeze that isn't a freeze, because there are "extra's." I give up with this country. Sir Humphrey couldn't have phrased it better. It really will need a sovereign debt crisis and currency collapse to sort it out I think.