House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RichM

Government Changing Housing Building Regs

I would love that to happen just to enjoy the certainty of housing assets blown away. It would truly be an end to housing as an asset class.

One point to bear in mind - if we ended up with excess housing at some point in the future there is no reason why we couldn't convert land back to countryside.

e.g. if population of large cities dropped back, we could clear large areas and create parkland, thereby improving the quality of life in our cities.

i agree with it. as said above, we can always regen the land later when demand ebbs.

then at long last the people of this country might realise that all this housing profiteering is costing everyone the greenbelt.

4% of this fair isle is built on at the moment. Just 4%.

How much of the 96% can you see or access? Where I live - bugger all. Drive down any country lane where I live and all you see are 8 foot high hedges. An occasional glimpse of the field that lies behind is afforded wherever there is a gate. From a high vantage point you see a vista of fields interspersed with buildings.

The fields seem to be 90% empty. An odd one has cows or sheep in it. Almost none have crops. These all seem to be grown on industrialized market garden type farms.

I can't see how it would have any impact on our beautiful countryside (I am not talking about Dartmoor or the Peak District) if, along the edge of our country lanes, houses were built on half acre plots. There are lots of places like this already. I quite like going down roads like this - looking at all the different architectural styles etc - much better than staring at an 8 foot hedge.

There is loads of land in this country. Its just that 75% of it is owned by 6% of the people and the masses have bought into the nutty planning system we have that guarantees you spend a lifetime paying for a roof over your head.

If's fecking madness. In a sane world you and your friends and family would build a house in a few weeks - job done.

4% of this fair isle is built on at the moment. Just 4%.

How much of the 96% can you see or access? Where I live - bugger all. Drive down any country lane where I live and all you see are 8 foot high hedges. An occasional glimpse of the field that lies behind is afforded wherever there is a gate. From a high vantage point you see a vista of fields interspersed with buildings.

The fields seem to be 90% empty. An odd one has cows or sheep in it. Almost none have crops. These all seem to be grown on industrialized market garden type farms.

I can't see how it would have any impact on our beautiful countryside (I am not talking about Dartmoor or the Peak District) if, along the edge of our country lanes, houses were built on half acre plots. There are lots of places like this already. I quite like going down roads like this - looking at all the different architectural styles etc - much better than staring at an 8 foot hedge.

There is loads of land in this country. Its just that 75% of it is owned by 6% of the people and the masses have bought into the nutty planning system we have that guarantees you spend a lifetime paying for a roof over your head.

If's fecking madness. In a sane world you and your friends and family would build a house in a few weeks - job done.

I have visions of Amish folk erecting timber frames and throwing a party to celebrate!

This could be like discovering the New World, except much easier. It's not across an ocean, it's just over yonder hedge. :)

We can but dream.

Edited by Smell the Fear