House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mega

Now,......... Thats What Call Cuts!

personally, I think it's wrong...

but on the other hand someone needs to make sacrifices to keep the big nationalised banks going.

who needs culture anyway when you've got the city? :(

Just see the Guardianistas squeel in the comments! Now these are cuts to be savoured without a hint of guilt.

wow... divide and rule at its best

and some still buy it!

I really wonder what the Culture Department was spending £2bn per year on. And what good it was doing to the country.

but on the other hand someone needs to make sacrifices to keep the big nationalised banks going.

Look, the National Gallery or Tate Modern aren't going to be closing down any time soon. Every capital needs a few totemic institutions to show off the national treasures, but that's about as far as public sector funding for the arts should go. Having an armed bureaucracy like the state confiscating money to subsidise the niche pastimes of the metropolitan elite, does not a national culture make.

I really wonder what the Culture Department was spending £2bn per year on. And what good it was doing to the country.

I guess nothing as good and useful as spending it on some tanks and helicopters to kill people en masse in foreign countries. That expenditure won't be slashed as it's "good for the country".

Look, the National Gallery or Tate Modern aren't going to be closing down any time soon. Every capital needs a few totemic institutions to show off the national treasures, but that's about as far as public sector funding for the arts should go. Having an armed bureaucracy like the state confiscating money to subsidise the niche pastimes of the metropolitan elite, does not a national culture make.

All I'm saying is that they're saving a little drop in an ocean of waste.

Can't you see that this exercise is simply a massive wealth transfer?

Those cuts are nothing compared to the money that we all lose daily to the banks through ultra-low interest rates.

But really big lies are too big to be found out.

wow... divide and rule at its best

and some still buy it!

Uh oh, someone sees that the days of experimental urban theatre subsidised by roadsweepers and shelfstackers are coming to an end..

All I'm saying is that they're saving a little drop in an ocean of waste.

Can't you see that this exercise is simply a massive wealth transfer?

Those cuts are nothing compared to the money that we all lose daily to the banks through ultra-low interest rates.

But really big lies are too big to be found out.

Cuts across the board are required and no budget should be ringfenced, including the arts. A billion quid was once a lot of money. One down, 155 to go.

Uh oh, someone sees that the days of experimental urban theatre subsidised by roadsweepers and shelfstackers are coming to an end..

does this mean no more Tracey Emin on the Newsnight culture report?

Cuts across the board are required and no budget should be ringfenced, including the arts. A billion quid was once a lot of money. One down, 155 to go.

excluding Labour's mortgage help...

banks will always be ringfenced

The openly racist Arts council probably falls under it and counts for the best part of £1billion.

Someones got to subsidise the opera so the bank$ters have somewhere to go while theyre in Gloomy London and not on some yacht.

excluding Labour's mortgage help...

banks will always be ringfenced

If someone commits murder and gets away with it, its hardly justification to do the same.

The bank$ters will get their just desserts, some time.

If someone commits murder and gets away with it, its hardly justification to do the same.

The bank$ters will get their just desserts, some time.

Nah, they won't. Their true reward awaits in the next life.

So subsidised art is getting the axe. Has any of this art reflected or satirised the madness of big government?

Genuine question.

This department and many others like it took on staff during the Brown years to enable a housing bubble to grow and fuel the economic miracle we are all about to pay for. When I say "all" I mean most of us who are not banksters.

It's a very small budget. But it should shoulder the same burden as other depts. There are too many sacred cows out there that people find hard to mention. There rae gross inefficiencies in the Police and the NHS which together dwarf the culture dpt spending. Is the govt brave enough to tackle them.