House Price Crash Forum

This Would Make Your Eyes Water

Live Peasant

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-10701733

Taser accidentally discharged into Somerset man's groin

A Somerset man is seeking legal advice after a police officer accidentally discharged a 50,000-volt Taser gun into his groin.

Peter Cox, 49, was hit with the stun weapon after being stopped on suspicion of driving a BMW without insurance in Bridgwater on 13 July.

He has denied claims that he had been acting aggressively.

Avon and Somerset Police admits he was shot accidentally and said an investigation was under way.

Mr Cox said he had seen a patrol car following him and pulled over at a friend's house, where he was doing landscaping work.

The officer pointed the Taser at him for a few seconds before lowering the weapon.

At this point it discharged, hitting his groin and ankle but narrowly missing his genitals.

Mr Cox fell to the ground in pain and had to be treated by paramedics.

"As soon as it was done, [the officer] came running up to me apologising and said it was an accidental discharge," said Mr Cox.

"It was dreadful. The pain was unbelievable. It was the worst pain I'd ever felt."

Police said the officer removed his Taser in accordance with protocol Mr Cox has Guillain Barre syndrome, a disease of the nervous system which causes numbness and weakness and a degree of paralysis.

He said the Taser shock was worse than any symptoms of the illness he had suffered.

"It paralysed my legs and the top of my body. I felt physically sick and I had a massive headache," he said.

A police statement said the threat of using a Taser was often enough to calm an aggressive suspect.

It said: "On Tuesday morning officers stopped a man in Bridgwater suspected to be driving a vehicle without insurance.

"The man appeared to become aggressive and the officer removed his Taser in accordance with protocol.

"On lowering the Taser it was accidentally discharged.

"The man was given first aid at the scene but is not believed to be injured. Police are now looking into this incident."

Mr Cox denied being aggressive and said his insurance company had confirmed immediately after he was stopped he had valid cover.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Well at least the Copper said sorry which is one thing.

Anyone else notice the choice of words by the Police Spokesperson ?

"The man appeared to become aggressive"

Very different from:

"The man became aggressive"

They know exactly what they are doing with that statement.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

A nomination for the Delroy Smellie public / police relations award 2010?

No, that goes to the Hampshire mob. This was a statement supposedly issued by a women arrested for taking a cricket ball that was repeatedly hit into her garden.

I think this whole thing has been blown out of all proportion but I believe the action taken at the time were appropriate and proportionate.

It was never my intention to keep the cricket ball and permanently deprive, but, I had to make a stand, enough is enough! I was not happy at being arrested but I now understand why it was necessary for the police to do that. I also recognise that children have to play somewhere and they are not always aware of the impact their play can have on others. Maybe we have all learnt something from this.

I now want to put all this behind me and carry on living happily once more within my community."

The story tells you that after the woman was arrested the the story going public, the Police took a bit of flak and rightly so.

They sent a press officer round to her house to generate a statement that could be released to the press.

Police press officer concocts statement

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

that is really bad, but luckily that it missed the important bits.

that policeman must of felt bad after finding out the guy had a 'disease of the nervous system which causes numbness and weakness and a degree of paralysis.'

Not as bad as he should be made to feel for an ND resulting in injury to a member of the public.

Archived