House Price Crash Forum
Boom Boom

John Bird: Earn Your Benefits

http://intensiveactivity.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/john-bird-sut-state-benefits-buy-the-big-issue/

This is John Bird of The Big Issue fame, a publication thrust upon the public by winos and tramps. He's lined his pockets by exploiting the homeless, and seems to want to see more people made homeless to increase his distributor based.

Edited by Boom Boom

http://intensiveactivity.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/john-bird-sut-state-benefits-buy-the-big-issue/

This is John Bird of The Big Issue fame, a publication thrust upon the public by winos and tramps. He's lined his profits by exploiting the homeless, and seems to want to see more people made homeless to increase his distributor based.

Exploiting?

Compared to what?

This is John Bird of The Big Issue fame, a publication thrust upon the public by winos and tramps. He's lined his profits by exploiting the homeless, and seems to want to see more people made homeless to increase his distributor based.

Don't know anything about him, but i agree with every word of that link, so whilst he might be the bad guy for all i know - he's still right.

Don't know anything about him, but i agree with every word of that link, so whilst he might be the bad guy for all i know - he's still right.

I don't i disagree with nearly every word. You think he is right i think he is wrong.

We already have some of the lowest benefit rates in Europe, but this fact seems lost on most.

We already have some of the lowest benefit rates in Europe, but this fact seems lost on most.

Doing voluntary work + benefits weeds out benefit fraudsters.

If benefits are tied to this work it is hardly voluntary.The workfare scheme has employers rubbing their hands together at the prospect of getting staff for free.

Edited by Boom Boom

Proper paid employment , stops benefit fraud stone dead. Problem is we have a massive lack of jobs right now.

Hear Hear, low benefits for the poorest of society, payouts for the richest and criticism for a guy (flawed or not) who is trying to help, he said the homeless need inclusion by means of what equates to tough love, these marginilised and neglected people need a new start, whether its right or wrong to foist it upon them is open to debate. The whole point of this site is the HP issue that has created homelessness or am I missing something ! Sorry meant to say how many of us are only a few paychecks from homelessness ? Brings it to reality alittle thinking of that !

Edited by mrmagooisagovteconomist

Well we could start by stopping benefits to anyone earning more than the modal wage (about £15k) and concentrate the money saved on giving tax cuts and targeted benefits to the poorest (i.e. those who earns less than £15k)

Though TBH I think it should be impossible to be on long term benefits unless you are incapable physically or mentally of earning a living. I think there should be no option of refusing jobs because benefits are better.

This is John Bird of The Big Issue fame, a publication thrust upon the public by winos and tramps. He's lined his pockets by exploiting the homeless, and seems to want to see more people made homeless to increase his distributor based.

I think that he is right. Benefits just enable.

And how has he exploited anyone?

We also have comparitvely low unemployment... but let's see what happens there...

20100701080711%21Unemployment_rates_Member_States.PNG

If you go back to basics in which the National Insurance is paid in by contribution that is what it is meant to be an "insurance". Then if we make a comparison with private insurance we wouldn't expect to clean the Prudential's office while we make a claim.

The concept has been distored by interested politicians since it's first introduction.

Edited by Rain'ard

If you go back to basics in which the National Insurance is paid in by contribution that is what it is meant to be an "insurance". Then if we make a comparison with private insurance we wouldn't expect to clean the Prudential's office while we make a claim.

The concept has been distored by interested politicians since it's first introduction.

"Cradle to the grave" 1948 some communist

2010 - politiians can't keep their hands out of the till.

Game almost over, unless Sceps QE2 with bells and whistles kicks the can down the road

long enough to allow purgation and assemblence of a economy.

The guy's talking nonsense.

I want decent benefits for sitting around all day too.

Everybody should get it.. that would be fair. Why can't the power hungry government and rich bankers stop being greedy and just give everybody free money right now!

David Beckham has a Ferrari.. where's mine?

Well we could start by stopping benefits to anyone earning more than the modal wage (about £15k) and concentrate the money saved on giving tax cuts and targeted benefits to the poorest (i.e. those who earns less than £15k)

Though TBH I think it should be impossible to be on long term benefits unless you are incapable physically or mentally of earning a living. I think there should be no option of refusing jobs because benefits are better.

Im working again now thank god , was on the sick for a year and then had a couple of months without work . That was after 30 years paying into the system.

The last time I popped into the job center there were 11 jobs in the location , the other jobs advertised were across the country. Why they advertise a job in the south west in Essex is beyond me , but apparently each job center the job is advertised in they recount the job , thats how they get such high vacancy rates.

Out of the 11 jobs on offer that day 1 was part time leaflet distributor, 1 was in the sex industry and 2 were in the council ( we all know that the two jobs in the council have already been filled but they get advertised so those in the council HR department can justify their job's ) so that leaves 7 real jobs vacant . At a guess I bet there was about 30 people in the job centre looking for work so that is 4.2 people for each job and that was the people there at that point how many others passed through the job center that day or week ?

People refusing jobs due to high benefits is about as rare as hens teeth.

Edited by miko

Earn Your Benefits

Hasn't this always been a no brainer?

If I was on benefits I wouldn't feel put out having to do some work to earn them. That's life. You don't get anything for free... unless you're work-shy in the UK of course.

I suspect the reason this idea hasn't moved forward is simply the difficulty in enforcing it, and fear of a backlash. Lets face it, if the countries feckless lost their free money, we know what would happen next. Riots and crimewave. A lot of welfare is in fact a pay-off to keep 'em quiet and peaceful.

The guy's talking nonsense.

I want decent benefits for sitting around all day too.

Everybody should get it.. that would be fair. Why can't the power hungry government and rich bankers stop being greedy and just give everybody free money right now!

David Beckham has a Ferrari.. where's mine?

No I think what people want is jobs and benefits as a saftey net for those who fall out of work. Problem is those at the top the MP's , the top people in large companies who want to trade here but employ over seas to make bigger profits, the bankers , have all milked the system and destroyed the economy which has enabled them to have Ferrari's like David Beckham if they want one , but left most others facing dire straights.

You mean those Somalis living in a £ 2 million home paid for by British tax payers could have gotten an even bigger place else where in Europe?

Hasn't this always been a no brainer?

If I was on benefits I wouldn't feel put out having to do some work to earn them. That's life. You don't get anything for free... unless you're work-shy in the UK of course.

I suspect the reason this idea hasn't moved forward is simply the difficulty in enforcing it, and fear of a backlash. Lets face it, if the countries feckless lost their free money, we know what would happen next. Riots and crimewave. A lot of welfare is in fact a pay-off to keep 'em quiet and peaceful.

If you can find work for people to do while they are unemployed , then pay them to do it and then they are not unemployed any more , problem solved.

If you were on benefits you would not feel put out having to do some work to earn them. Easy to say when that is not what you will be doing tommorrow , but expecting someone else to do it.

You mean those Somalis living in a £ 2 million home paid for by British tax payers could have gotten an even bigger place else where in Europe?

No what he means is that overall our benefits pay the least in most of Europe. The Somalis in the £2 million home is a total exception , but people like yourself fall for it and shout for everyone's benefits to be cut. FOOL.

Edited by miko

Ahh, another half truth from the Daily Wail. Housing benefits are out of control as a result of house prices and rents being out of control. A single unemplyed person over 22 gets £65 a week. Someone with a serious disability and in need of care gets £120 a week. The way the papers go on you'd think those figures were many times higher.

No I think what people want is jobs and benefits as a saftey net for those who fall out of work. Problem is those at the top the MP's , the top people in large companies who want to trade here but employ over seas to make bigger profits, the bankers , have all milked the system and destroyed the economy which has enabled them to have Ferrari's like David Beckham if they want one , but left most others facing dire straights.

For instance, James Purnell..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/labour/3700176/James-Purnell-defends-welfare-reform-after-accusations-of-stigmatising-benefits-claimants.html

Mr Purnell will publish a White Paper setting out plans to make "virtually everyone" on welfare seek work or face cuts in their benefits payments.

Mr Purnell told BBC Radio Four's Today programme the new rules will create "a system where virtually everyone has to do something in return for their benefits."

He said it was right to "penalise" people who do not try to get work. He said: "If there is work there for people, we believe they should do it. We can't afford to waste taxpayers' money on people who are playing the system."

http://menmedia.co.uk/news/s/1108160_mp_defends_expenses

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5358109/MPs-expenses-James-Purnell-and-Geoff-Hoon-avoided-tax-on-home-sales.html

Some months, he is said to have claimed the maximum amount of £400 for food - double the amount that unemployed youngsters receive from the benefits system that he presides over.

James Purnell, the Work and Pensions Secretary, avoided paying capital gains tax on the sale of his London flat after claiming taxpayer-funded expenses for advice from an accountant, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Edited by Dave Beans

So you take up voluntary work but cant get working credits, varying pay scales depending how apt you are at milking the system. Charities suddenly see the advantage of an under motivated employee turning up. What happened to the genuine do gooder kick them out? Are they going to have income tax covered indefinitely while not paying into the system, or will no income tax get paid?

Then juts as you sort that someone asks hey how come they are being paid more than me to glue on ribbons onto a carnival costume, yet I hold down a job, hell my job is boring ill have some of that.

Sounds pretty stupid to me.

No what he means is that overall our benefits pay the least in most of Europe. The Somalis in the £2 million home is a total exception , but people like yourself fall for it and shout for everyone's benefits to be cut. FOOL.

I know the Somali example was an exception, but the UK definately does not pay the lowest benefits. I'll refrain from insults because I am a better person than you.