House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuckyOne

What Is The Best Small Car For Tall People ?

My lad needs a car. He is tall (6'6") and large framed. He didn't learn to drive here and wants a small car that he can fit into.

Any suggestions beyond a Golf Plus?

I'm 6' 3" (1.88m in new money) and I was surprised by the headroom in the small Hyundai i10. At present I have a 2002 Vauxhall Astra and it has loads of headroom. Both cars sans sunroof though.

MGFs are surprisingly spacious. My housemate is about your son's height and he can extend his legs fully in the passenger seat.

That sounds like a plan as I assume that they are relatively cheap now that the manufacturer is out of business.

Does he fit OK with the hood closed?

Are there garages that will service them? Are parts relatively easy to find still?

I'm 6' 3" (1.88m in new money) and I was surprised by the headroom in the small Hyundai i10. At present I have a 2002 Vauxhall Astra and it has loads of headroom. Both cars sans sunroof though.

The Astra is quite a big car. Any views on the smaller Vauxhalls?

We will add the i10 to the list.

size, obviously, is relative.

The Vauxhall Corsa from 2007 is, I reckon, now almost as big as the Astra G ('98 - '04). I read somewhere that the VW Polo is now bigger than a Mk 2 Golf.

I'm 6 foot 2 and my Nissan Micra is fine.

+1: I'm 6-3 and there's still plenty of room to wear a top hat if I felt so inclined.

Obviously, not everyone's a big car nut, cares about aesthetics or might just want motoring on a budget.

Seriously, though, they look like you've borrowed Mr Magoo's car. If his lad wants to pick up women (probably shallow women but any might be better than nothing) the Micra's just not going to cut it.

LOL.... I'm waiting for September for my new Kraut uber-git-mobile to be delivered. The Micra is my wifes... she chose it, I wanted her to get a Clio.

you should be ok with Daihatsu Sirion:

site_range_sirion_gallery_01_large_badge.jpg

BTW, from what I heard, all Daihatsu cars that are sold in the UK are fully made in Japan.

I'm not shallow, but I am a bit of a petrol head and I don't think I could date a guy who drives a micra - I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face! My petrol head friends and I had a discussion about micras not so long ago and we all decided we'd rather have a mobility scooter.

I was trying to be as tactful as possible and avoid the whole usual big car/small willy accusations. :lol:

_____

More seriously, we do have to look at whether vehicles will accomodate tall/short people at work. Surprisingly, it's not how far the seat will go back or roof height, so much, but how much space between the door/centre console and the steering wheels for knees to go.

I'm not shallow, but I am a bit of a petrol head and I don't think I could date a guy who drives a micra - I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face! My petrol head friends and I had a discussion about micras not so long ago and we all decided we'd rather have a mobility scooter.

But you'll be missing out on my stunning beauty, my boundless wit and my enormous wad..... remember, guys driving cars like Micras arent trying to compensate for other shortcomings through their car.

That, and I'm married.dry.gif

M5?

No, my boss wouldnt run to anything nearly that interesting... neither would The Familial Boss (Lady M), who wanted to know exactly how much tax it was going to cost me. As mentioned on the other thread, just a 320d.... but it's still got ~175hp, can out accelerate most bog-standard petrol cars and has silly-frugal economy.

A bmw mini

bear in mind just about any newish small car is much bigger than older generation cars you may remember

also jacked up 'SUV style' cars often have less headroom (along with the crap cornering)

A mans's perspective: the future Mrs DeepLurker was completely unfazed by my base-model Peugeot 309, which helped reassure me that whatever she was after, it wasn't my money :)

Linky

A lot of these seem to be gibberish.. but a couple of good reviews.. like:

Reviewer'sDetails

Height : 6ft 9in / 2.06m

Weight : 14st 0lb / 89kg / 196lbs

Inside Leg Length : 38in / 97cm

Sex : Male

Car Details

Manufacturer : Ford

Model : Fiesta

Variant : 3 door

Year Made : 2009

Sunroof Fitted : No

Comments : This is the latest generation of Fiesta which was launched in autumn 2008. Great car for tall people. This is my 4th fiesta. I always buy the 3dr version as it adds slightly more room and you dont bash yourself on the door posts getting out the car. A lot of cars I have tried I find Im looking out of the rear side window instead of the drivers window. The only drawback I have found is if someone parks very close it can be awkward to get in the car because the doors are so long. I would urge anyone well over 6ft to take a test drive, you wont be disappointed.

Driver's Legroom Rating : 10 / 10

Headroom Rating : 9 / 10

Overall Rating : 10 / 10

or

Reviewer's Details

Height : 6ft 6in / 1.98m

Weight : 14st 0lb / 89kg / 196lbs

Inside Leg Length : 35in / 89cm

Car Details

Manufacturer : VW

Model : Golf Plus

Variant : "Luna" Diesel

Year Made : 2007

Comments : Plenty of headroom, and drivers seat v comfortable with adjustment backwards and down - more adjustment than needed for me - so a taller person would be comfortable too. The back seats move backwards on runners so plently of legroom in the back even with the drivers seat fully back (although boot size is slightly reduced). Note however that headroom in the back is slightly restricted for the taller person - although fine for short journeys, need a break after 2 hrs. Though eye level is well below the top of the windscreen, fat front pillars - contain airbags. These restrict visibility a bit on the Golf, so watch out for this(common to many modern cars). My last car was a Renault Megane Scenic, with far better visibility, though a lack of thight support in this became an issue for me.

Headroom Rating : 11 / 10

or

Reviewer's Details Height : 6ft 7in / 2.01m

Weight : 16st 0lb / 102kg / 224lbs

Inside Leg Length : 35in / 89cm

Car Details

Manufacturer : Audi

Model : A3

Variant : Sportback

Year Made : 2010

Comments : Not a chance!! Could only just fit it but with no space for legs / comfortable driving position. Not worth even sitting in it

Driver's Legroom Rating : 2 / 10

Headroom Rating : 2 / 10

Overall Rating : 2 / 10

or

Reviewer's Details

Height : 6ft 4in / 1.93m

Weight : 13st 2lb / 83kg / 184lbs

Inside Leg Length : 34in / 86cm

Car Details

Manufacturer : Mitsubishi

Model : Colt

Variant : CZ1 3dr

Year Made : 2006

Comments : No other car comes close in the supermini segment to the room this car has. Most tall people won't need the seat all the way back or all the way down, this is far superior to so called roomy cars such as the Honda Jazz or Skoda Fabia. With the seat all the way back you'll also be able to get someone 6f5 in the back behind you!

Headroom Rating : 10 / 10