House Price Crash Forum
Number79

50K Cash What Now?

Say you have £20k cash, where would you put it today?

Poor rates, ns&i withdrawal and a changing horizon from recent situations, so today, where best to place cash?

obviously this being housing based and with the goal of a home purchase answers need to be considered that way.

Shiny yellow metal will be the first answer for many but it does not go hand in hand with a home purchase, quite the opposite infact.

Currency gambles need to be supported with figures showing losses changing to a currency and back again for a purchase.

So, where then?

thats some rate of burn you have there friend.

50K to 20K in 2 lines....Are you a banker?

Poor rates, ns&i withdrawal and a changing horizon from recent situations, so today, where best to place cash?

obviously this being housing based and with the goal of a home purchase answers need to be considered that way.

Shiny yellow metal will be the first answer for many but it does not go hand in hand with a home purchase, quite the opposite infact.

Currency gambles need to be supported with figures showing losses changing to a currency and back again for a purchase.

So, where then?

Red

lol, i started at 50k but figured 20k may be easier to talk about, ideas for 50k still welcome.

Edited by richyc

IMPO keeping it in cash and trying to keep it ahead of inflation is the priority.

You will not beat inflation but IMPO having it in cash now is safer than anything else I can think of. IMPO stocks are too risky and metals could also plunge.

I think we are in a deflationary period where cash is king but we are on a knife-edge between inflation and deflation... if they print again then shares and gold and metals will probably rise... if they do not print... if they cannot print... then it is deflation...

It will be a huge U-turn for Cameron and Clegg and Osbourne and Cable to rant on about austerity and cut-backs if, in the next 12 months, they print, print, print... but if Obama prints then we probably will be forced to also... which they may even be discussing now.

Don't forget, it was Brown who really began all the printing and both Bush and Obama followed suit - both after reluctance and being erred on by helicopter Ben.

Sorry, gone off topic... did I tell you about my favourite baked beans?

Edit.

Egg and Tesco seem to be offering best instant access at the moment.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Red

I like metallic yellow.

In/out of it twice a year, whilst watching the last days of fiat

I like metallic yellow.

In/out of it twice a year, whilst watching the last days of fiat

Im sure I met you at the Torture Garden. dressed all in gold leaf, all I could watch was the money.

Out of interest, is that physical or something like that, I think, Merrill Lynch gold fund?

nah, here she is at Torture Garden with Kenichikawa, the chinese chippy with chip cutters

golden.jpg

post-10213-1279644439086_thumb.jpg

Your best bet is probably to invest the lot in beans, a shotgun and plenty of cartridges. Now all the financial world has gone zombie it is only a matter of time before the people turn zombie too. Just remember to 'double tap' when they come for you :lol:

They let anyone into TG these days.

Actually, Ken bought tickets, but wasnt allowed in...he is Mr Disaster.

IMPO keeping it in cash and trying to keep it ahead of inflation is the priority.

You will not beat inflation but IMPO having it in cash now is safer than anything else I can think of. IMPO stocks are too risky and metals could also plunge.

I think we are in a deflationary period where cash is king but we are on a knife-edge between inflation and deflation... if they print again then shares and gold and metals will probably rise... if they do not print... if they cannot print... then it is deflation...

It will be a huge U-turn for Cameron and Clegg and Osbourne and Cable to rant on about austerity and cut-backs if, in the next 12 months, they print, print, print... but if Obama prints then we probably will be forced to also... which they may even be discussing now.

Don't forget, it was Brown who really began all the printing and both Bush and Obama followed suit - both after reluctance and being erred on by helicopter Ben.

Sorry, gone off topic... did I tell you about my favourite baked beans?

Edit.

Egg and Tesco seem to be offering best instant access at the moment.

In all seriousness very good advice and your best bet might be to hedge; half in cash at the best rate you can get (Skipton decent last time I looked, would have been NS&I up till yesterday) and half commodities/ high dividend equities. Would not touch FOREX unless you have lots to burn and time for things to swing your way maybe over years.

At least you shouldn't lose everything this way.................... :P

If it's for a house purchase you could go "all in" and bet like a man.

Put it in a spread betting account and bet that the Halifax house price index will drop lower.

If you are are right, your cash will increase and you need less of it to buy a house that will have supposedly dropped in price.

If the Halifax house price index increases you would be well stuffed, less money and houses more unaffordable.

http://www.igindex.co.uk/spread-betting/house-prices-example.html

In all seriousness very good advice and your best bet might be to hedge; half in cash at the best rate you can get (Skipton decent last time I looked, would have been NS&I up till yesterday) and half commodities/ high dividend equities. Would not touch FOREX unless you have lots to burn and time for things to swing your way maybe over years.

At least you shouldn't lose everything this way.................... :P

I think that might be a good way to go once the Autumn/Winter has come and gone. I am convinced we will see a second stock plunge in the Oct/Nov time-frame so am staying away from stocks for now.

lol, i started at 50k but figured 20k may be easier to talk about, ideas for 50k still welcome.

20K - I'd put in Premium bonds.

50K - I'd split half and half with a cash bond.

tim

Buy a house in North Manchester. Live in it. Save £500 a month an see how long before you've got another wodge of cash burning your pocket off.

Personally I would stash it into the highest paying savings account you can get.

I'm in a similar situation. Got 50k of cash. Managed to push 30k of it into NS&I certificates back in April (thank god!!!) and the rest into a p1ss poor instant access savings and ISAs (3.1% was the best rate i could find!).

A lot of people get twitchy about inflation taking a bite. Inflation is only a problem if the price of item you are saving up for (e.g. house) is inflating.

We've all seen whats been happening to HPI over the last couple of months .. and it don't take a rocket scientist to predict what's coming next......

:ph34r:

Edited by Sparkey

Personally I would stash it into the highest paying savings account you can get.

I'm in a similar situation. Got 50k of cash. Managed to push 30k of it into NS&I certificates back in April (thank god!!!) and the rest into a p1ss poor instant access savings and ISAs (3.1% was the best rate i could find!).

If you are going for a high paying savings account why did you pick NS&I when RPI is falling and you will get zero linkage?

Spend some on imported goods planning to buy before the VAT rise.

Save some highest instant access accounts.

Buy a quality painting that you enjoy looking at by an up and coming artist.(do your homework).

Gamble on a few premium bonds.

Invest in quality blue chip dividend paying shares of well known companies of the future that you use and like the way they operate.

Buy some chickens...plant some seeds.

A lot of people get twitchy about inflation taking a bite. Inflation is only a problem if the price of item you are saving up for (e.g. house) is inflating.

We've all seen whats been happening to HPI over the last couple of months .. and it don't take a rocket scientist to predict what's coming next......

:ph34r:

Exactly! If you stash is there for the purposes of buying a house, and prices are dropping, inflation is not a problem...I've managed to stach aeawy £170K at the ripe old age of 32 for the purposes of buying a house with a miniscule mortgage witing the next 6 to 12 months...(hopefully), All depends on whether the BOE printing presses stay silent.

Why start speculating in any big way and risk losing a big chunk of cash?

what timescale - if you still need the cash available in a year then that is very different to saying you can forget about it for 30 years...