House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fishy

Spectacular Price Drop Along With A Touch Of Fraud?

Not checked any of my 'target' properties for a while, but found this 1 below.... sold in 2008 for 395,010, sold in 2009 for 220k.

I went to view this house and it was fairly nice ( i have attached the schedule in PDF format), when i went to view it had been dropped to 250k, i made an offer of 230k but was turned down.

Originally came on the market at fixed price 319k in December 2007, looks to have been part of a part exchange deal when 'bought' at £395k (even though it was on the market for £320k - obvious proof of fraud to bump up the selling price of the house they part exchanged for ). Also bought new in 2005 for £268k.

32 Bennachie Way,

Dunfermline,

KY11 8JA £220,000

Application No: 09FFE03650

Title No: FFE76383

Application Type: DW

Deed Codes: 11 20 Application Date

31-Mar-2009

32 Bennachie Way,

Dunfermline,

KY11 8JA £395,010

Application No: 08FFE05206

Deed Codes: 11 1 Application Date

06-Mar-2008

32 Bennachie Way,

Dunfermline,

KY11 8JA £267,995

Plot 87 Forthridge, Duloch Park

Application No: 05FFE19797

Application Type: TP

04-Oct-2005

32 bennachie way-dunfy-f320k.pdf

32 bennachie way-dunfy-f320k.pdf

Not checked any of my 'target' properties for a while, but found this 1 below.... sold in 2008 for 395,010, sold in 2009 for 220k.

I went to view this house and it was fairly nice ( i have attached the schedule in PDF format), when i went to view it had been dropped to 250k, i made an offer of 230k but was turned down.

Originally came on the market at fixed price 319k in December 2007, looks to have been part of a part exchange deal when 'bought' at £395k (even though it was on the market for £320k - obvious proof of fraud to bump up the selling price of the house they part exchanged for ). Also bought new in 2005 for £268k.

I went to see a bunch of show houses in Duloch last week. The area seems really nice (if a bit big). My main worries were:

- apparently Duloch is the biggest house building area in EUROPE! Is there still going to be the market for this number of houses in 3-5 years time? Lots of the already sold houses are up for sale again which is probably to be expected, but even so...

- in my brief visit I didn't see any parks for kids (and me) to play in

- nearest pub quite a way away??

On the plus side there seems to be a huge number of houses for sale in the area with little demand (at least low demand for new houses at the moment). I was kind of thinking that I'd like to be buying a big fancy 4 bed with 2 garages for a number beginning with 1. Do you think that's unrealistic? Wouldn't get that now I know, but not able or willing to buy now but maybe 6-12 months from now.....

Have you seen these houses selling or not over the past months?

Edited by catmandu

There are quite a lot of places like that dotted around from £175k+. Are people on here really waiting for Edinburgh itself?

Compared to down south, I guess you could say the prices here are ok (e.g. £175k for 4 bed detached house) - but I guess compared to average salary up here they're still quite high. Do you think we're insane?

I remember looking for a place a few years ago and there was NOTHING, not even a flat, going for under £125k. Now there are tens upon tens. There does seem to be a gap going from flats to houses though - When you get past the cost of flats that have come down in price there is a big jump in asking price for a house. Or should I say 'offers over' which is a complete con.

I could get so much more for my money living 30 miles from work, but then the commute would kill me - financially and time-wise. I turned down a job not long ago as it was based in the city centre and I wasn't prepared to commute in every day - takes forever, I can't afford to live in the centre, and besides surely the company would have lower rents if it was located outwith the centre (that really bugs me).

Dunfermline's not TOO far from me - cheaper up there.. but having to cross that damn bridge every day? Ugh! I shall wait for now. Girlfriend bought a house yonks ago miles outside of town - 4 bedder with the works for £100k. Now worth £200k. When it gets back to the £120k mark I'll know it's time to buy.

But....... when it comes to that time... we will be competing with everybody else who sees 'cheap property'. I see them most days looking in the windows despite the fact prices are ridiculous - in the 'good times' if a house came onto the market the people became rabid, foaming at the mouth to grab at it. You were lucky if it was on the market 2 days (seriously). I would hate to be 'up against' that sort of person(s).

I wouldn't consider buying a place unless I knew I could pay the mortgage off within 6-8 years tops. Even then there's the increased council tax for staying in 'nice areas' which is a rip-off. Basically paying a lot of rent to the council each month. Gah... I hate it.

Edited by guitarman001

Is the bridge a big traffic jam?

I have a friend who lives in Glasgow and who commutes to Edinburgh and he says the road journey is a nightmare and that the train is crammed?

I have no idea about Dunfermline other than from googling it today and it looks a nice town about 15 miles from Edinburgh. I would have thought it was a commuter town. Obviously, I have no idea what it is like for culture, chavs et al but then isn't every UK town the same nowadays?

It's not too bad. And if you can work way outside the main rush hour times I imagine the commute is not too bad - prob 40-50 minutes either way on express buses or less on trains. Although that assumes you work in town or en-route. If not then probably a lot more.

Anyone know how much council tax would likely be for the property appearing in this thread?

I was thinking of taking bus from Inverkeithing park and ride (cycle or moped to that point). There are bus lanes in so though 40mins should be possible. Comments from anyone who does this commute? How about compared to South Gyle which I thought might be another option for some modern housing.

Anyone know how much council tax would likely be for the property appearing in this thread?

I was thinking of taking bus from Inverkeithing park and ride (cycle or moped to that point). There are bus lanes in so though 40mins should be possible. Comments from anyone who does this commute? How about compared to South Gyle which I thought might be another option for some modern housing.

You will get a lot more for your cash in Fife than South Gyle. Probably double ?

No idea about commute. Although I know someone who used to drive to that park and ride and then cycle in. That is prob too much for most of us though..

32 Bennachie Way,

Dunfermline,

KY11 8JA £220,000

Application No: 09FFE03650

31-Mar-2009

32 Bennachie Way,

Dunfermline,

KY11 8JA £395,010

Application No: 08FFE05206

Deed Codes: 11 1 Application Date

06-Mar-2008

32 Bennachie Way,

Dunfermline,

KY11 8JA £267,995

Plot 87 Forthridge, Duloch Park

Application No: 05FFE19797

Application Type: TP

04-Oct-2005

I had a look at this as I know of others in that area. There is no selling price on espc for that one which makes me agree it was likely a p/ex but I am sure someone has entered the price wrong as by that time it was on market for 295K. The next one is when it was resold by a different agent - on at 249,500 and old for 220K. There was a similar one ( a bedroom less) in Autumn 2009 in the next street which had been repossesed and sold for 180K

Band G - a tad over £2500.

Commute is better now tolls have gone but still delays. Bus lanes have improved things though trains are crowded. Fife is good value though.

I went to see a bunch of show houses in Duloch last week. The area seems really nice (if a bit big). My main worries were:

- apparently Duloch is the biggest house building area in EUROPE! Is there still going to be the market for this number of houses in 3-5 years time? Lots of the already sold houses are up for sale again which is probably to be expected, but even so...

- in my brief visit I didn't see any parks for kids (and me) to play in

- nearest pub quite a way away??

On the plus side there seems to be a huge number of houses for sale in the area with little demand (at least low demand for new houses at the moment). I was kind of thinking that I'd like to be buying a big fancy 4 bed with 2 garages for a number beginning with 1. Do you think that's unrealistic? Wouldn't get that now I know, but not able or willing to buy now but maybe 6-12 months from now.....

Have you seen these houses selling or not over the past months?

My experience is that up until recently the resales in Duloch have actually proved better sellers than other areas. There is parkland in the area and a pub/restaurant near to Tescos - it looks ok but I haven't been in. It is a bit sprawling though. You could get a 4 bed and single garage for a number beginning with 1 but it seems a lot of the ones with double garages have succumbed to the fashion of converting them into rooms !

Is the bridge a big traffic jam?

I have a friend who lives in Glasgow and who commutes to Edinburgh and he says the road journey is a nightmare and that the train is crammed?

I have no idea about Dunfermline other than from googling it today and it looks a nice town about 15 miles from Edinburgh. I would have thought it was a commuter town. Obviously, I have no idea what it is like for culture, chavs et al but then isn't every UK town the same nowadays?

Dunfermline is actually a nice place to live. Easy to get to other towns, decent shops and pubs, gorgeous park and Abbey and loads of history. The old Alhambra theatre has recently reopened and that is very popular. Some chavs of course - well we do have a Primark - but overall a friendly place.

A friend of mine is travelling through Scotland and is reporting on how much cheaper and nicer many of the houses are in my part of the World... not saying they are cheap, just cheaper.

One thing that confuses me about this Duloch estate in particular, and the huge amount of building that has been going on in general is where are all these people coming from to live in these houses built over the decade?

Duloch is obviously an overflow from Edinburgh of people who can afford Edinburgh prices, so who has replaced them in Edinburgh?

Population increase? No, it's flat. http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files2/stats/annual-review-2008/ar-2008-figure1.1.pdf

More divorces? More than 1970s yes, but more than 2000? Don't think so.

More singles not living at home? More than 1970s yes, but more than 2000? Don't think so.

A friend of mine is travelling through Scotland and is reporting on how much cheaper and nicer many of the houses are in my part of the World... not saying they are cheap, just cheaper.

So houses are cheaper where you are - where abouts is that again ?

Some places in Jockland are more towards decent value, but many are way overpriced. Not areas are in the South East bracket for prices.

One thing that confuses me about this Duloch estate in particular, and the huge amount of building that has been going on in general is where are all these people coming from to live in these houses built over the decade?

Duloch is obviously an overflow from Edinburgh of people who can afford Edinburgh prices, so who has replaced them in Edinburgh?

Population increase? No, it's flat. http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files2/stats/annual-review-2008/ar-2008-figure1.1.pdf

More divorces? More than 1970s yes, but more than 2000? Don't think so.

More singles not living at home? More than 1970s yes, but more than 2000? Don't think so.

Yep - people getting fed up with Edinburgh and it's stupid prices I reckon. No wonder.

I know someone who lives in Dunfermline and commutes to Haymarket daily and says its not to bad.

If memory serves she drives to a local park and ride in the morning and gets the train. Apparently the season ticket is pricey, but she says Dunfermline is quite a nice place to bring up her young family.

Anything more than half an hour is a nightmare for me.

Why on earth are they building another bridge when they should be building an underground tunnel (bridge is always closed when high winds are present).

Wow - £2.5k council tax per annum!!! Crikey - that is a lot. basically you'd be paying mortgage and rent. Then rent once the mortgage is finished.

Yeah you'd get more for you money in Dunfermline but the commute would kill me.

Why on earth are they building another bridge when they should be building an underground tunnel (bridge is always closed when high winds are present).

Have a look at the trams and you will get the answer. They are building a bridge because people will SEE it. No need for trams. Extended bus routes with all the same facilities running on the same routes would have cost a tenth the price. Estimate for a tunnel across the Forth was about a quarter of the new Bridge IIRC.

However can you SEE new trams ? Can you SEE a new bridge.

It's all about the councillors building things they can SHOW to people. Would be laughable if it wasn't such a piss take.

Have a look at the trams and you will get the answer. They are building a bridge because people will SEE it. No need for trams. Extended bus routes with all the same facilities running on the same routes would have cost a tenth the price. Estimate for a tunnel across the Forth was about a quarter of the new Bridge IIRC.

It's all about the councillors building things they can SHOW to people. Would be laughable if it wasn't such a piss take.

They built a massive freeway underneath Boston in the past decade - amazing bit of engineering.

But it had to run underneath the harbour and the 'cheaper' solution was to built giant metal tubes which were laid on the sea-bed and then built over with cement. They bother with any drilling underneath the rock taking years and costing billions.

Simple but effective solution.

A bit over-cynical I suspect. Trams also add character to a city, are more environmentally friendly and customer friendly (easier for a tourist to get on a tram than a bus) Not sure why a tunnel was ruled out though - would be interesting to know but I suspect it's more than just showing something to people, though that certainly may be part of the issue.

A bit over-cynical I suspect. Trams also add character to a city, are more environmentally friendly and customer friendly (easier for a tourist to get on a tram than a bus) Not sure why a tunnel was ruled out though - would be interesting to know but I suspect it's more than just showing something to people, though that certainly may be part of the issue.

:lol:

Exactly after how many years will the environmental impact of all the works, the trams themselves and everything else breaks even on 'environental' terms? I am no expert but I would be very surprised if it was within even a hundred years.

I have nothing against trams. However there has to be a cost/benefit analysis done. 600 mill and rising for ONE tram line where a great bus service already runs ? No danger.

Was a story in the Hootsman about the tunnel vs bridge aspect. Don't think there was any reason to go for the bridge other than they 'wanted' it. There was definitely put forward a plan for a tunnel. Disregarded for some reason. Will try and find it.

Not sure why a tunnel was ruled out though - would be interesting to know but I suspect it's more than just showing something to people, though that certainly may be part of the issue.

I think the geology's quite complicated. Take a look at these comments on the Scotsman website from a few years ago: http://news.scotsman.com/ViewArticle.aspx?articleid=2828956&CommentPage=1&CommentPageLength=1000#1225292, http://news.scotsman.com/ViewArticle.aspx?articleid=3297722&CommentPage=1&CommentPageLength=1000#1771022

It looks like the floor of the firth is much deeper than you'd expect, so a tunnel would have to be very deep underground and maybe have a total length of up to 5 miles. The whole length of the tunnel would have to be lit and ventilated 24 hours a day, which would (1) cost money, and (2) require the tunnel to be closed in the event of failure.

Edit: the reports from the initial study into the various options for a new crossing can now be found here. If you've got a week or so to spare it's all very interesting.

Edited by Scunnered

I think the geology's quite complicated. Take a look at these comments on the Scotsman website from a few years ago: http://news.scotsman...th=1000#1225292, http://news.scotsman...th=1000#1771022

It looks like the floor of the firth is much deeper than you'd expect, so a tunnel would have to be very deep underground and maybe have a total length of up to 5 miles. The whole length of the tunnel would have to be lit and ventilated 24 hours a day, which would (1) cost money, and (2) require the tunnel to be closed in the event of failure.

Edit: the reports from the initial study into the various options for a new crossing can now be found here. If you've got a week or so to spare it's all very interesting.

But wasn't the best option a tunnel built on land and 'dropped' onto the sea bed in sections ? Done this in numerous other places before. Mega cheap compared to other methods. No drilling or anything required. I think.

But wasn't the best option a tunnel built on land and 'dropped' onto the sea bed in sections ? Done this in numerous other places before. Mega cheap compared to other methods. No drilling or anything required. I think.

Read the links. The channel is a very steep V-shape, reaching a maximum depth of perhaps up to 200 metres (although some of that's filled in with sediments). To get a tunnel flat enough for cars to travel through, you have to tunnel into the bedrock on both sides of the river. One of the reports says that a tunnel would have to emerge somewhere west of Winchburgh!

Edit: the report on the tunnel option is here (PDF).

Edited by Scunnered