House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Mps' Worry Over Job Cuts Crisis In City

It sounds as if Swansea MPs are getting wind of the coming jobs cuts locally. I wonder if they have heard some hard figures mentioned and are now beginning to panic about all their voters losing jobs?

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/MPs-worry-job-cuts-crisis-city/article-2431763-detail/article.html

SWANSEA'S MPs have claimed that thousands of civil service jobs in the city are at risk as Government spending cuts bite.

The Coalition has asked most Whitehall departments to draw up plans for cutting 25 per cent from their budgets — and to produce a worst-case scenario for a reduction of up to 40 per cent.

Swansea East MP Sian James said the city's reliance on public sector employers including the DVLA, the university and the NHS, meant it was particularly at risk.

"There are over 7,000 civil service jobs just in my constituency, so any cuts would be catastrophic," she said.

"These figures translated into job cuts would mean up to 2,800 civil service jobs lost in Swansea East alone.

"This is not acceptable, and I will do all in my power to ensure that everything is done to protect jobs."

Geraint Davies, MP for Swansea West, is set to challenge Welsh Secretary Cheryl Gillan over the Government's plans when she gives evidence to a Commons committee today.

"The Lib Dem Tory budget is sharply focused on making those least well off and those in public services paying the price of the deficit caused by the bankers," he said.

"That means Wales will suffer disproportionately from the Budget and the Secretary of State should use this fact to argue for extra grant aid for Wales.

Meanwhile, in another thread on the ludicrous tower built in the town there is some interesting comments re the owners of the expensive penthouses who may well soon find a Brains pub above them.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Brewing-giant-talks-takeover-plan-Penthouse/article-2431839-detail/article.html

Jonathan, Sketty - I have often seen your property market comments on here and have to say that you have no idea whatsoever about the property market works. You're right that property prices may fall over the next year but I doubt very much that there will be a property crash. It takes more than a recession to cause this.

You can ignore that 4% a month drop, as figures like these don't always compare like for like and if there haven't been many sales then the figures are statistically invalid. I have seen such figure in one are of London that shows prices down 25% one month and then up 30% the next. A large drop like that in one month suggests the figures are based on a sample size that is too small or that cheaper properties were sold this month. Or maybe last month at one or two sales of expensive properties, so distorted the figues. It happens all the time. rightmove figures are for them to get some publicity, so shouldn't be taken seriously.

"There are over 7,000 civil service jobs just in my constituency, so any cuts would be catastrophic," she said.

No Sian. Try a higher morality, & stop thinking of your popularity rating

"There are over 7,000 civil service jobs just in my constituency, so any cuts would be a noticeable & very welcome cleansing of a bloated & unsustainable system unfair to the few productive constituents I have left," she said.

Breaking news on BBC Wales.

Finally, some job cuts in Wales... I had no idea that Wales had an economy office... can't say I am impressed with the work they have done.

Welsh Assembly government's economy office 'to shed 250 jobs'

At least 250 jobs are to be axed in a shake-up of the assembly government's department for the economy.

The move will reduce the workforce by around a quarter, taking civil servant numbers to around 890.

Full story...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-10702681

No Sian. Try a higher morality, & stop thinking of your popularity rating

"There are over 7,000 civil service jobs just in my constituency, so any cuts would be a noticeable & very welcome cleansing of a bloated & unsustainable system unfair to the few productive constituents I have left," she said.

If 25% of these jobs were to go and still the same public services are present, then we must all wonder why so many people were employed in the public sector in the first place. We are told that Brown oversaw an increase of 600,000 public service jobs. Take the police - they have come out saying things like, a 25% cut means we would have to reduce the number of employees to the level of 1998. Well, did any of you out there notice an improvement in the service since 1998? No?.... The truth is that, after a lot of figure massaging and reclassifying of 'crimes' the level of crime is.....exactly as it has been, give or take a few % since the time of Thatcher. A few less burglars and lots more street robbery or other violence instead.

Off topic rant: A friend of mine had a car go into his boot the other day. He called the police and gave the reg number of the offending car, stating that he thought it may be a dangerous drink driver. Not so much as a thank you, but a demand that he attend the 'station' with his 'vehicle documents'. He declined to take part. No surprise the police have rahter fewer friends than years ago.

We are told that Brown oversaw an increase of 600,000 public service jobs.

It's a lot more than that including all the quasi independent public sector (quips) jobs such as HIPs inspectors, parking enforcement goons, efficiency consultants, environmental snoopervisors, etc.

If 25% of these jobs were to go and still the same public services are present, then we must all wonder why so many people were employed in the public sector in the first place. We are told that Brown oversaw an increase of 600,000 public service jobs. Take the police - they have come out saying things like, a 25% cut means we would have to reduce the number of employees to the level of 1998. Well, did any of you out there notice an improvement in the service since 1998? No?.... The truth is that, after a lot of figure massaging and reclassifying of 'crimes' the level of crime is.....exactly as it has been, give or take a few % since the time of Thatcher. A few less burglars and lots more street robbery or other violence instead.

Off topic rant: A friend of mine had a car go into his boot the other day. He called the police and gave the reg number of the offending car, stating that he thought it may be a dangerous drink driver. Not so much as a thank you, but a demand that he attend the 'station' with his 'vehicle documents'. He declined to take part. No surprise the police have rahter fewer friends than years ago.

Brown took more and more tax when we were in a boom , no new taxes and he would still have had more money due to the boom, but he got it both ways .

Then he wasted it , totally wasted it, with box tickers and paper work junkies. What an oppotunity the fool missed . With all the extra money we should have had the cleanest safe streets. Police there when needed, the best schools, hospitals where the nurse said this place is so clean you could eat your dinner of the floor, ( instead I remember the nurse saying to my Dad get your wife out of here as quickly as possible before she gets an infection ) she did get an infection.

Were there any improvments ? answer No if anything things got worse. What a wasted oppotunity.

Edited by miko

Brown took more and more tax when we were in a boom , no new taxes and he would still have had more money due to the boom, but he got it both ways .

Then he wasted it , totally wasted it, with box tickers and paper work junkies. What an oppotunity the fool missed . With all the extra money we should have had the cleanest safe streets. Police there when needed, the best schools, hospitals where the nurse said this place is so clean you could eat your dinner of the floor, ( instead I remember the nurse saying to my Dad get your wife out of here as quickly as possible before she gets an infection ) she did get an infection.

Were there any improvments ? answer No if anything things got worse. What a wasted oppotunity.

Don't forget the tens of billions from 3G licences.

That's the trouble. People don't notice the improvement.

The best example of this I have personally seen was a new hospital building at Old Amersham Hospital.

All I heard was some people complaining that they had reduced the size of the car park in order to fit the new bit in. :blink:

On the subject of crime. I don't know anyone who has had a car stolen or broken into for ages. It happened to me four times back in the time of Thatcher. :angry:

That's the trouble. People don't notice the improvement.

The best example of this I have personally seen was a new hospital building at Old Amersham Hospital.

All I heard was some people complaining that they had reduced the size of the car park in order to fit the new bit in. :blink:

On the subject of crime. I don't know anyone who has had a car stolen or broken into for ages. It happened to me four times back in the time of Thatcher. :angry:

When it comes to hospitals whether they have improved or not , most have not been paid for yet , they did not come out of the extra taxes we have been paying , most came as a result of The PFI's , that still have to be paid back on top of all the other debt.

Whereas liebour have stolen tens of thousands off you by putting tens of thousands of debt to your name.

As for cars, Alarms, immobilisers, trackers have improved security, and certainly not politicians.

Bit like the police claiming theyre making the roads safer. Cars, airbags, and technology are making roads safer, and certainly not the police.

Liebour havent reduced crime. Theyve either re-branded it 'anti social behaviour' or else pretended cheaper consumer goods and better security have had no effect on being a disincentive to steal, instead their tough on crime BS has sorted it.

Id be happier about new hospitals if they had actually been paid for, rather than being tributes to nulabs vanity paid for on credit, complete with six figure artwork installations in the lobby

Mortgages hit half-year high but caution rules

Actually, it is a story about another Welsh Assembly office thinking about firing up to 300 people... but I presume the Western Mail is so used to ramping the property market that it can no longer help itself from writing pro housing headlines.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2010/07/21/mortgages-hit-half-year-high-but-caution-rules-91466-26895975/

UP TO 300 civil service posts could be cut from the Assembly Government’s Economy and Transport department under major restructuring plans announced yesterday.

Deputy First Minister Ieuan Wyn Jones – who holds the economic development portfolio – wants to shift the department’s focus away from direct business support.

The PCS trade union last night responded with concern at the “sheer scale” of the cuts and the impact on staff workload.

Confirming the plans, a spokesman for the Assembly Government said: “The Welsh Assembly Government is restructuring the Economy and Transport Department to support the vision set out in Economic Renewal: A New Direction, announced by the Deputy First Minister two weeks ago.

“The new policy approach will see resources targeted at tackling wide systemic issues within the Welsh economy – investing in infrastructure, research and development and improving the conditions within which businesses operate.

“The restructuring will see the department’s activities move away from direct business support to the creation of an environment for growth which benefits all companies. This will result in a reduction in the number of posts within the Economy and Transport Department.

“We will not know the actual number of reductions until we complete consultation with our staff and trades unions but initial draft structures indicate that this is likely to be in the vicinity of 250 and 300 posts.

I think thats down to more secure cars, and radio's that are not easy to steal, not Thatcher or the Labour Government! doh!

I think thats down to more secure cars, and radio's that are not easy to steal, not Thatcher or the Labour Government! doh!

The 4 incidents I referred to were all thefts from cars and only one was the radio. I think that was down to there being more thieves about. doh!