House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guy_Montag

Swiss Bank Accounts

Guest Guy_Montag

My folks are very kindly giving me a deposit on a future house (or anything else).

I have various (what I consider substantial, but not that much) savings in various Sterling accounts, funds, ISAs & all the rest.

Anyway I'm a little concerned about the level of debt in this country & suspect there may be problems in the future, I believe the euro is too flakey due to the diverse countries involved & the dollar is just waiting to drop off a cliff.

So back to the main query: are there any British banks that offer accounts in Swiss francs, failing that are there any Swiss banks that let you open an account with a relatively small amount of money.

I am not speculating or investing, I am only trying to protect myself - I intend to split the money over several different "safer" investments.

HSBC do, but they don't seem to pay any interest on Swiss Francs.

Also, I've been trying to open a Canadian dollar account with them for over a month now and after several phone calls and emails they still can't manage to send me the PIN for the Internet and phone banking. I'm down a couple of thousand dollars now compared to having transferred the money when they originally opened the account... solely because of their faffing.

http://www.offshore.hsbc.com/

Edited by MarkG

Wish I'd known about the Citibank accounts before :).

Still, my PIN finally arrived, so I can start getting out of Sterling at last... at least the exchange rate went up a couple of percent yesterday as the US dollar tanked, so I'm no longer taking a significant loss :). Hopefully the dollar will be going down more in the next few days.

Edited by MarkG

Guest Guy_Montag
I've been with those guys for a few years and they seem quite nice:

http://www.citibank.com/uk/bankingproducts...rency/index.jsp

CHF, CAD, JPY, they have all major currencies ticked. Interest rates are rubbish but hey can't have everything :)

Swiss central bank rates are 0.65%

Anyone know why? Could do with finding out before I stick my money there.