House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Worlds Most Enigmatic Lost Goldmine Claims More Victims

The Lost Dutchman Gold Mine, probably the most famous, enigmatic, lost mine of all time has claimed it's most recent victims:

An official search for three missing Utah men who went looking for the legendary Lost Dutchman Gold Mine was suspended Monday with no word on what happened to them, the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office in Arizona said.

The men, ages 49 to 66, apparently entered the wilderness two weeks ago on a quest for gold associated with the mine in the Superstition Mountains, east of Phoenix.

The sheriff's office said the men had very little water and hiking experience. Two of the three hikers had reported medical conditions.

I've always been fascinated with this story ever since I was a young boy. Real, myth or a mixture of the two, the tale has been told for over two hundred years of a vast gold mine of untold riches somewhere in the Superstition mountains, deep in the Arizona wilderness. It's what's the now cliched phrase "many have searched none have returned" could have been invented for. Tales of Spanish explorers finding massive veins of gold, the dying words of Jacob Waltz (the Dutchman) enticing a whole host of people to continue the search for it in the late 19th and throughout the 20th centuries and now sadly three more missing treasure hunters.

A Tall Tale? Quite probably, a bit like The Robin Hood legend, mixed with myth and campfire stories over the years, but it sure beats reading about House Prices all day long!

75092319.ALqCnCiG.jpg

I've heard of this as well, I've always been quite interested in the story of the mine. It reminds me of when I was younger living in Australia and we used to explore abandoned mines looking for gold, never found anything apart from some old bottles and a few pissed off snakes.

A couple more that I've read about and are worth a look is the "money pit" on Oak Island (Though this is looking to be a bit far fetched now).

The location of the Amber Room- Probably broken up and sold off or possibly at the bottom of the ocean as the ship carrying it could have been sunk while transporting it.

Something about vast flooded bunkers under Berlin Airport I think that contains tiger tanks and all manners of other military gizmos.

Hidden war-gold in the Phillippines that has never been found and plenty more, I've even heard about a couple that involve things of value being dumped into the Scottish lochs. I'd say 99% of it is pub guff after a few beers but as they say, smoke = fire. :)

indiana+jones2.jpg

There are some tantalising clues to the Lost Dutchman Mine. In 1949 a set of rocks called The Peralta Stones, possibly genuine, were discovered by chance, supposedly charting the location of the mine or mines, some guy last year reckoned he used the stones and Google Earth to locate the exact grid reference of the mine, but, ok it's stinking hot and dangerous, why didn't he just go there with a small party and scout it out? So probably another b*llshitter.

I sold all my Ex-Nazi gold back to the Pope, via EBay! :blink:

The location of the Amber Room- Probably broken up and sold off or possibly at the bottom of the ocean as the ship carrying it could have been sunk while transporting it.

indiana+jones2.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Room-Worlds-Greatest-Treasure/dp/0802714242

The Amber Room almost certainly never left Konigsberg Castle, and was destroyed in fires started by drunken Russian troops simply to keep the cold at bay. The German troops charged with crating up the panels and transporting them to safety had fled before the speed of the Russian advance.

Russia has never admitted that its own soldiery destroyed what many claimed to be Europe's greatest art treasure. A replica Amber Room, created at huge expense and involving 20 years of work by Russian craftsmen, was opened in 2003 in St Petersburg by Premier's Putin and Schroder.

The link is to the book that seems to finally lay the mystery to rest.

http://www.amazon.com/Amber-Room-Worlds-Greatest-Treasure/dp/0802714242

The Amber Room almost certainly never left Konigsberg Castle, and was destroyed in fires started by drunken Russian troops simply to keep the cold at bay. The German troops charged with crating up the panels and transporting them to safety had fled before the speed of the Russian advance.

Russia has never admitted that its own soldiery destroyed what many claimed to be Europe's greatest art treasure. A replica Amber Room, created at huge expense and involving 20 years of work by Russian craftsmen, was opened in 2003 in St Petersburg by Premier's Putin and Schroder.

The link is to the book that seems to finally lay the mystery to rest.

Top info as always.

Thanks for that, I'll be picking that book up :)