House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reck B

Tour De France

Not a huge fan of cycling but it appears that there's uproar because a cyclist overtook another cyclist when his chain fell off and this is not very sporting in the world of cycling!

err. isn't the point in all this to overtake each other and try to get to the finish line first?

Can you imagine if Paula Radcliffe, 100 metres to the finish line pulls up with a hamstring and limps towards to line, perhaps stopping with 10 metres to go, for a long, relaxing poo in some squat toilets, safe in the knowledge that the athletes behind would stop and wait for fear of being called unsporting?

Same goes for injuries in football - don't kick it out! Use your 1 man up advantage to WIN.

If the whole aim of sport is to promote moralistic and helping your fellow man type behaviour, then fair enough, but it isn't. it's to WIN. Sportsman should play up to the limits of the rules (and beyond them if you can get away with it)

Sporting behaviour - pah.

Not a huge fan of cycling but it appears that there's uproar because a cyclist overtook another cyclist when his chain fell off and this is not very sporting in the world of cycling!

err. isn't the point in all this to overtake each other and try to get to the finish line first?

Can you imagine if Paula Radcliffe, 100 metres to the finish line pulls up with a hamstring and limps towards to line, perhaps stopping with 10 metres to go, for a long, relaxing poo in some squat toilets, safe in the knowledge that the athletes behind would stop and wait for fear of being called unsporting?

Same goes for injuries in football - don't kick it out! Use your 1 man up advantage to WIN.

If the whole aim of sport is to promote moralistic and helping your fellow man type behaviour, then fair enough, but it isn't. it's to WIN. Sportsman should play up to the limits of the rules (and beyond them if you can get away with it)

Sporting behaviour - pah.

NO! to really destroy your opponent you must also be magnanimous. (think errol flynn throwing basil rathbone's dropped sword back to him)

"If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:

For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee"

(proverbs 25)

in a similar vein, i would love to have seen germany deiberately cede england's disallowed first-half goal in the recent world cup,

if only so that their final humiliation when inevitably thrashed would have been the more complete and inescapable.

NO! to really destroy your opponent you must also be magnanimous. (think errol flynn throwing basil rathbone's dropped sword to him)

"If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:

22For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee"

(proverbs 25)

similarly, i would love to have seen germany deiberately cede england's disallowed first-half goal in the recent world cup,

if only so that their humiliation when finally braten would have been the more complete and inescapable.

"If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat (wipe it on thine **** first); and if he be thirsty, give him water mixed with piss to drink:

22For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee"

(proverbs 25: updated Reck B 2010)

I read about that this morning. What a grade A loser. A winner would suck it up and go out in the next race and destroy his competitors to prove he is the best. A loser would moan about it being 'unsporting'.

It's a bike race and these things happen constantly. If everyone just stopped it would be shit.

I read about that this morning. What a grade A loser. A winner would suck it up and go out in the next race and destroy his competitors to prove he is the best. A loser would moan about it being 'unsporting'.

It's a bike race and these things happen constantly. If everyone just stopped it would be shit.

Which is hopefully what Schleck will do today. He's not moaning about it though Contador is on the defensive.

"If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat (wipe it on thine **** first); and if he be thirsty, give him water mixed with piss to drink:

(proverbs 25: updated Reck B 2010)

Brilliant. :lol:

Which is hopefully what Schleck will do today. He's not moaning about it though Contador is on the defensive.

I read a quote from him that sounded like moaning to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8835486.stm

Although it seemed that something similar happened earlier in the race (Crash) and Schleck did wait with other riders.

Ah the excitement !!

cyclists appear to be dicks. They all take drugs and the decide who should win. You cycle as part of a team and the team decide who will win, doesnt appear to be much sport in it. There was even a protest a couple of weeks ago when they all refused to race for the finish and all crossed together holding each other!

http://www.guardian....ylvain-chavanel

cyclists appear to be dicks.  They all take drugs and the decide who should win.  You cycle as part of a team and the team decide who will win, doesnt appear to be much sport in it.  

no they cycle as lots of teams. These teams compete against each other to help their team leader win stuff. Its a team sport, not an individual sport.

Bad form from the swarthy, Southern European Johnny Foreigner.....

Can I escape from the cliche of my own avatar and say, despite the drugs, cycling is a very gentlemanly sport in many ways. You dont take advantage of a misfortune like that. Plus, these two were mates, they went on holiday together..... not sure if they'll do so again, though.

Bad form from the swarthy, Southern European Johnny Foreigner.....

Can I escape from the cliche of my own avatar and say, despite the drugs, cycling is a very gentlemanly sport in many ways. You dont take advantage of a misfortune like that. Plus, these two were mates, they went on holiday together..... not sure if they'll do so again, though.

They're blokes not birds !!

THey will have a shouting match, call each other *****. One will end up with a bloody noise. And they will end up having a pint. Well maybe not the pint as this lot are a bit mental bout these things but you know what I mean.

Anyone know how they go to the loo? If I drank that much water I'd want to go every five minutes. I know some pro-cyclists can go on the move, with the aid of a water bottle, but bearing in mind they are constantly filmed I've never seen it happen, or get off for a pee in a hedge. We must be told.

Anyone know how they go to the loo? If I drank that much water I'd want to go every five minutes. I know some pro-cyclists can go on the move, with the aid of a water bottle, but bearing in mind they are constantly filmed I've never seen it happen, or get off for a pee in a hedge. We must be told.

I asked this very question to a proper cyclist. They just go when on the road. Downhill just whang it out and let it rip. Although as anyone who exercises hard and drinks constantly knows - you barely need to pish. I have drunnk over 2 litres of water on a hot days golfing and only just needed a pish at the end.

As for the cyclists going for a shit ? I was informed this is much the same. Not worth stopping for. Apparently Armstring had serious trouble with his stomach in some race a few years back. His team just surrounded him (Not behind I hope !!) and he just pulled down his skants and splashed it out. :o

Now I don't know if this is true but no reason to doubt the bloke. If you are feeling brave I imagine it could be on Youtube...:ph34r:

As for the cyclists going for a shit ? I was informed this is much the same. Not worth stopping for. Apparently Armstring had serious trouble with his stomach in some race a few years back. His team just surrounded him (Not b

Well you can't really pull them down. They wear bib shorts which are better as non bib shorts can slip down. Its possible however that Armstrong wasn't wearing them then, but the current crop all seem to wearing bib shorts.

Well you can't really pull them down. They wear bib shorts which are better as non bib shorts can slip down. Its possible however that Armstrong wasn't wearing them then, but the current crop all seem to wearing bib shorts.

I dare you to Youtube. :D

May be nothing but if there is something it's not going to be nice.

I think it's OK to go for a quick Jimmy Riddle as long as it's not in the last half hour or so when all the cameras are watching. I'd imagine you'd sweat a fair bit going up a hors category climb in the alps in the middle of July too. Plus drinking loads helps to dilute all the EPO in your urine for the doping test at the end of the stage*.

I've read far worse things about riders carrying on with major stomach upsets. Let's just say that the poor sod who had to clean the bike at the end of the day can't have been too happy.

*allegedly

Its just not cricket, this Tour de France.

I lost interest in the TdF a good while back, far too many drugs cheats.

The mere presence of people like Basso and Vinokourov notches my interest down to minimal.

That said, part of pro cyclings problem is that they have actually tried to fight this head on, unlike many other sports, and that has led to bad PR. For instance, a lot of the people on the Puerto list were apparently pro footballers and tennis players. I dont think a single cyclist linked to Puerto has not been publicly punished, whereas I dont think a single tennis player or footballer (including, allegedly, a very high profile ex-England, MU etc name which I will not mention for obvious reasons) has had anything done to them.

They're blokes not birds !!

THey will have a shouting match, call each other *****. One will end up with a bloody noise. And they will end up having a pint. Well maybe not the pint as this lot are a bit mental bout these things but you know what I mean.

They've made up yesterday! Though schleck as effectively said you can screw me over and I won't do anything about it....