House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Any Experts On Internet Speed Here?

I'm in France and am using an SFR 3G (HSDPA) sim card. It's an unlimited package, but is speed limited after the first 1GB each month.

I'm puzzled though. Before I hit the 1GB, I was getting over 3mbps as measured by a speed testing site, but now I'm beyond the 1GB, my speed measures 120kbps. But, the thing is that it seems almost as fast for normal browsing and is still, subjectively, much faster than public WiFi except when downloading large files when it is painfully slow. I have a 3g wireless router which accepts the sim card directly and we can connect both laptops and browse simultaneously without any problem. Quite frankly, I'm amazed at the performance from the meagre 120kbps down and 400kbps up.

When browsing this forum, I only notice any difference between 3mbps and 120kbps when I click on a page with loads of large pictures.

Webrowsing is relatively low bandwidth, remember it worked in 1998 with dial up. Sites are bigger today than in 1998 BUT you dont need massive amounts of bandwidth. You need bandwidth for video streaming, downloads, streaming audio is ok with reasonable bandwidth. When wired broadband first came out most people had a max of 1Mb down, I remember we shared the cost between 8 houses at uni and shared the one connection over a LAN we laid between the houses. yeah you dont need much bandwidth for browsing.

Presumably, then, my SFR connection is so fast for browsing due to good response times compared to the higher bandwidth public WiFi connections that have much higher bandwidth but are subjectively much slower for forum browsing.

I've found it's the upload side of things that buggers up your browsing experience. I assume because your PC can't tell the internet what it wants.

I've noticed it when dowloading torrents (I mean a friend of mine has noticed it). If I'm downloading but not uploading then I can can download at almost my full bandwidth without really affecting browsing. But as soon as I start to seed at any appreciable rate then everything slows to a crawl.

I remember we shared the cost between 8 houses at uni and shared the one connection over a LAN we laid between the houses

You went to Aston didn't you? Is this ABG you're talking about? :)

I've found it's the upload side of things that buggers up your browsing experience. I assume because your PC can't tell the internet what it wants.

I've noticed it when dowloading torrents (I mean a friend of mine has noticed it). If I'm downloading but not uploading then I can can download at almost my full bandwidth without really affecting browsing. But as soon as I start to seed at any appreciable rate then everything slows to a crawl.

Okay, so The fact that SFR don't cap the upload bandwidth and keep their general bandwidth usage low by capping the download bandwidth of all users to 120Kbps (after 1GB per month) means that the network doesn't get overloaded and provides a good browsing experience for the average user who is not downloading torrents. They seem to have got it right.

There's nothing wrong with bittorrent. The likes of http://linuxtracker.org/ is perfectly legal. Some other sites might not be, but the same can be said for http downloads.

You went to Aston didn't you? Is this ABG you're talking about? :)

4 rows of houses, with the roads replaced with grass. The Cat5 network spidering out across all 4 rows of houses, two big 3com switches acted as the backbone between the two middle rows, there must have been .5 km probably more of CAT5. The cable was laid in the summer before the uni year started, we laid the cable early event/at night.... When we left the network was cut but the cables still lie in the ground under paving slabs etc etc, you will probably still see bundles of network cables if you look carefully..

As for the comment on upload killing download, yes, networks aren't designed to be consumed. Networks are designed to be underused, if you overuse a inets links upload you kill the network as the packets that make the network operate get delayed.