House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blobloblob

British Tv Shows That Were Based On Foreign Ones.

First one:-

3-2-1 was based on the Spanish show Uno, Dos, Tres.

This could be the longest thread in history. Pretty much all TV gameshows, sitcoms you name it were nicked and ripped-off from the US and Anglicised, while the TV producers got fat and milked it in. Think Blind Date got there first coz it was on in the early 1980s? Think again:

datinggame.jpg

dating.jpg

It depends what you mean by "based on". Are we talking of just the same basic idea, or the whole shebang: plot lines and main characters copy-and-pasted?

If it's just the same idea, there was a comedy on French TV launched in 1987, about a spaceship crewed by incompetents and losers, trying and failing to get anywhere.

One year later the BBC launched Red Dwarf...

It depends what you mean by "based on". Are we talking of just the same basic idea, or the whole shebang: plot lines and main characters copy-and-pasted?

If it's just the same idea, there was a comedy on French TV launched in 1987, about a spaceship crewed by incompetents and losers, trying and failing to get anywhere.

Oh dear. I started this with the intention that it should be a boring thread. You have subverted it by making me stop and consider the whole subject in a much more profound way so I'm now going to have to do some research on Google and Wikipedia. As a matter of fact I think I'll search the Open University's prospectus too. Maybe I can do a degree in this.

I bet it wasn't half as funny as Red Dwarf though.

No idea as I never watched it (I grew up in France, but my parents were terribly poor by Mumsnet standards as we only had the one TV set and the 8 o'clock news was on at the same time so that was that :()

The Upper Hand (Who's the Boss?)

Brighton Belles (Golden Girls)

Gladiators (American Gladiators)

Play Your Cards Right (Card Sharks)

Family Fortunes (Family Feud)

Celebrity Squares (Hollywood Squares)

Blankety Blank (Match Game)

The Price Is Right (The Price Is Right)

The Apprentice (The Apprentice)

Wheel of Fortune (Wheel of Fortune)

What's My Line? (What's My Line?)

Name That Tune (Name That Tune)

University Challenge (College Bowl)

First one:-

3-2-1 was based on the Spanish show Uno, Dos, Tres.

Sure it wasn't the French show un deux trois?

Countdown was based on the French show Des chiffres et des lettres, Le Mot Le Plus Long (the longest word) forming part of the show along with Le compte est bon (the total is right). Indeed Le Mot Le Plus Long was even sold as a board game in France. I was given it as a present when staying in Paris one year!

The Magic Roundabout..completely different English scripts added to the original French visuals. :D

Le Manège enchanté

Guest Ian Chesterton

I bet it wasn't half as funny as Red Dwarf though.

Until that crap they put out last year.

Googled the heck out of this and can't find any mention of any french show that was a bit like Red Dwarf.

Googled the heck out of this and can't find any mention of any french show that was a bit like Red Dwarf.

Naine Rouge

It was pretty crappy for the last few series if we are honest, in fact after series 2 it nose-dived.

Gunmen Of The Apocolypse was S6, Emohawk Polymorph 2 was S6, Quarantine contained probably some of the funniest lines in any sitcom ever (King of the potato people one) was series 5. Some crap ones though. 7 & 8 were generally bunkum with a couple of exceptions.

Anyway back On Topic and Loose Women is a blatant rip-off of an American show which I can't be assed to do a search on, Rosie O'Donnell is on it pretending to be intellectual.

Guest sillybear2

Location, Location, Location (Place, Place, Place - itself based on the Japanese humiliation gameshow Rocation, Rocation, Rocation)

I know that one, it's where they capture and humiliate people for 25 years, or until they turn on each other.

I remember watching the Spanish version of Deal or No deal which pre-dated the UK show, Allá Tú. Top prize €600,000, not the paltry £250k Noel tempts people with.

Turns out on wiki that over 50 countries carry it, but the original was in Holland in 2000, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miljoenenjacht_(Netherlands)

Not surprising I suppose since Endemol own it.

I remember watching the Spanish version of Deal or No deal which pre-dated the UK show, Allá Tú. Top prize €600,000, not the paltry £250k Noel tempts people with.

Turns out on wiki that over 50 countries carry it, but the original was in Holland in 2000, http://en.wikipedia....t_(Netherlands)

Not surprising I suppose since Endemol own it.

The art of that show is to pad it out for 30 minutes and make picking boxes at random, look skillful.