House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TeddyBear

These Cycle Superhighways - Will There Be Fines?

Right, finally escaping from the squat toilet thread...

Bright blue "cycle superhighways" appearing around London town. I'm wondering, anyone heard if there are going to be fines for straying into one of these in a vehicle? They are going to be quite hard to avoid in certain places as they fade in and out of lanes and I'm wondering if cameras are going to start mushrooming and some serious fine revenue raising is going to be bolstering TFL's coffers?

Or am I just beign paranoid (but not as paranoid as some of those OCDers on the toilet thread).

Bright blue "cycle superhighways" appearing around London town. I'm wondering, anyone heard if there are going to be fines for straying into one of these in a vehicle? They are going to be quite hard to avoid in certain places as they fade in and out of lanes and I'm wondering if cameras are going to start mushrooming and some serious fine revenue raising is going to be bolstering TFL's coffers?

Or am I just beign paranoid (but not as paranoid as some of those OCDers on the toilet thread).

Haven't these caused a furore in conservation errors such as Narrow Street?

taxionthesuperhighway.jpg_e_4449267b5956d12ad0715c2fbc1b9203.jpg

What do you do when you get to the taxi?

Guest Noodle

Haven't these caused a furore in conservation errors such as Narrow Street?

taxionthesuperhighway.jpg_e_4449267b5956d12ad0715c2fbc1b9203.jpg

What do you do when you get to the taxi?

:lol::lol::lol:

There's a BBC reporter rides one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10667623

Looks pretty much like any other psychlepath in heavy traffic. Parts look tolerable, other parts look bad - blocked by motor vehicles in traffic, emerging from a side road, etc, or just subject to crap like drains that are OK provided you see them coming.

As a cyclist, I suspect I'd take the trouble to find a route avoiding it, if it appeared on my commute. The fear being idiot motorists doing stupid things if one strays outside it, for example to go round a blockage or hazard, or just to turn off the route.

As for enforcement, who knows? Do they make any attempt to enforce existing cycle lanes, bus lanes, pavements, etc, or do motorists around there routinely use all of them?

There's a BBC reporter rides one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10667623

Looks pretty much like any other psychlepath in heavy traffic. Parts look tolerable, other parts look bad - blocked by motor vehicles in traffic, emerging from a side road, etc, or just subject to crap like drains that are OK provided you see them coming.

As a cyclist, I suspect I'd take the trouble to find a route avoiding it, if it appeared on my commute. The fear being idiot motorists doing stupid things if one strays outside it, for example to go round a blockage or hazard, or just to turn off the route.

As for enforcement, who knows? Do they make any attempt to enforce existing cycle lanes, bus lanes, pavements, etc, or do motorists around there routinely use all of them?

bus lanes definitely - cameras all over and some buses with cameras, easy to pick up fines for straying into a bus lane. There was a rumour about cycle lanes but don't know anyone who has been fined for one yet

Are cyclists allowed to leave them? I learned to cycle before there were cycle lanes, so I just use the road like any other vehicle, and I find that the cycle lane is usually useless, tend to ride on the outside edge.

Car and truck tyres sweep debris off the road, so I would expect these blue horrors to become glass strewn no-go-zones pretty quick.

Are cyclists allowed to leave them? I learned to cycle before there were cycle lanes,

Or bicycles? :blink:

Are cyclists allowed to leave them? I learned to cycle before there were cycle lanes, so I just use the road like any other vehicle, and I find that the cycle lane is usually useless, tend to ride on the outside edge.

Car and truck tyres sweep debris off the road, so I would expect these blue horrors to become glass strewn no-go-zones pretty quick.

They are utterly pointless waste of ratepayers money for the reasons you state, especially as motorists park on them.

Here's my [totally impractical and ludicrous] plan for congestion in London.

Copy the Valencia model. You divert the river somewhere else and then drain it, leaving you with the a half mile wide unobstructed passage right in the heart of the city. You could get from one side of London to the other in minutes.

The whole river bed is now a gigantic park/cycle path - imagine the number of shopping trolleys, dead bodies and UXBs that would turn up.

Bridge+in+Turia+Park+IMG_4357.jpg

152962983_20cc9a8d67.jpg

The best way to deal with London's traffic problem is to deal with the underlying economic and population problems. London's population is a staggering 7.2 million while Birmingham is less than 1 million and Manchester, Liverpool and Edinburgh little more or less than 450,000. I once worked at Transport for London and most of the major new transport projects were designed less to alleviate current demand and more to deal with anticipated demand resulting new housing developments like Thamesmead.

I like the river idea but I can't ever see it happening. A shame, because I think it would solve a lot of problems.

I saw these cycle lanes and they are ridiculous IMO:

• sponsored by a corporation? What the hell?
  • cycle lane widened but road not reduced to a single lane of traffic each way. Cars are pushed together, dangerous
  • nothing whatsover between the bike and cars. should install a small raised kerb to keep cars out
  • taxis are allowed to use bike lanes? this is ridiculous, make the raised kerb and let them park next to it
  • sometimes the lane is wide and sometimes narrow????

This is so obviously not a serious effort and just something to placate the greens. If government were serious, they would do a far better job of it. This looks like a typical British balls-up if you ask me.

This looks like a typical British balls-up if you ask me.

Yep - 'lame token effort' just about covers it.

I am so jealous when I go to the Continent. Although to be fair Edinburgh is quite lucky in the cycling regards. We have all the old train lines now as cycle/walking paths. Plus a fair few along the canals etc..

Not up to European standards - but I imagine there are much worse in the UK.

I like the river idea but I can't ever see it happening. A shame, because I think it would solve a lot of problems.

Well it was kind of done in London. The Embankment recovered a lot of river, and bear in mind boats could originally go right into Somerset House. Its the pity they couldn't bury the road like they were able to do at Blackfriars Bridge/Puddle Dock.

I used to hate that interchange at Blackfriars as you have quite fast moving traffic and I think (some time since I cycled it) it requires a lane change on a bike to go straight on, and you have traffic cutting in. I found it safer to come through the City => Fleet Street => Strand and so on. Also along Thames Street you get coaches coming pretty close.

Both sides of the Thames do have cycle paths. Well sort of. There was a plan to turn the north side into a kind of "south bank." Also he South Bank gets quite busy with pedestrians making it difficult to cycle at times.

But I used to be able to get from other side of E14 along the river to Big Ben in under 30 minutes and not really trying. Dawdling along in fact.

But the biggest laugh I think, is that no one who actually designs / plans these cycle routes can't have actually tried using them, and some are positively dangerous. Seem to recall the central cycle lane over one of the bridges, if you didn't get killed getting onto it.

The South Bank as a cycle route is utter sh1te unless you want to travel at a walking pace. The blue lanes.... I dunno we'll see, the one thing I do like is that they are more visible, it might stop motor traffic going into them. I don't have a blue lane on my route yet, so can't comment further.

I saw these cycle lanes and they are ridiculous IMO:

• sponsored by a corporation? What the hell?

• cycle lane widened but road not reduced to a single lane of traffic each way. Cars are pushed together, dangerous

• nothing whatsover between the bike and cars. should install a small raised kerb to keep cars out

• taxis are allowed to use bike lanes? this is ridiculous, make the raised kerb and let them park next to it

• sometimes the lane is wide and sometimes narrow????

This is so obviously not a serious effort and just something to placate the greens. If government were serious, they would do a far better job of it. This looks like a typical British balls-up if you ask me.

Nononono, no no no, this keeps the bikes in. Hideous. Also holds the broken glass and other sharp rubbish swept off by the car tyres.

What is required is dedicated cycle routes. In other words, wee roads just for bikes.

Of course the historic layout of much of the UK does not help this. However it should be possible with a bit of thought. New housing estates, new roads, tram links, motorways. All of these could have dedicted cycle lanes built for not a huge extra cost. They would be so beneficial.

Most of the Continent gets it.

This is one they have beside the lake in Annecy. When I saw it I almost wished I was French.

lake-annecy-cycling.jpg

Almost.

What is required is dedicated cycle routes. In other words, wee roads just for bikes.

Of course the historic layout of much of the UK does not help this. However it should be possible with a bit of thought. New housing estates, new roads, tram links, motorways. All of these could have dedicted cycle lanes built for not a huge extra cost. They would be so beneficial.

Most of the Continent gets it.

You need more than just the roads. They need to be usable, and that's not just about being clear of piles of hazardous waste ...

I recollect long ago, when I was living in London going to visit friends near Wokingham. Sunday morning, so not too much traffic. Coming in to Bracknell I saw a sign pointing to their cycleways, with a suggestion that they were compulsory (something like "all cyclists"). It looked OK, with a good clean surface, and followed parallel to the road, so I went onto it.

Soon its course diverted from the road, and it started to wind its way through residential areas. OK fine, follow the signposts. Except ... there were no signposts for Wokingham, Reading, or anywhere else I'd ever heard of! By the second junction, lost in a maze of winding passages all alike (sounds like an RPG), I headed back, and just went round Bracknell's ring road.

Nononono, no no no, this keeps the bikes in. Hideous. Also holds the broken glass and other sharp rubbish swept off by the car tyres.

Well, if the cyclists have cycle lanes the cyclists should stick to cycle lanes.

Well, if the cyclists have cycle lanes the cyclists should stick to cycle lanes.

Yes, thankyou Rare Bear, but what if the cyclists dont want the cycle lanes? What if they were put there by do-gooder local authorities wanting to look like they are doing something, and designed by cossetted motorists who never cycle and just want the ordinary people to get out of the way of their shiny BMW?

Well, if the motorists have motorways the motorists should stick to motorways.