House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Converted Lurker

Ft Article Re Empty Shops

I was driving through a town last weekend I have never been to before - weirdly I can't remember its name - might have been Romsey - and there were enough To Let notices in the High Street to make me think 'wow, lot of empty shops here'.

The long term trend will go something like this...

Poor areas - corner shops

Rich areas - Boutiques and coffee shops

Internet only - Mainstream bookshops, electrical shops.

I would not wish to invest on big high streets where competition for tenants will drive down rents, but there might become increasing rents long term for the best shops in the best locations whose product is 'lifestyle' rather than a homogenous product.

I am getting to the point at which I'm tempted to try to do all my shopping online and I'm not sure how much effect this way of thinking has had on shop values yet.

I'm going to keep a keen eye on Tottenham Court Road now. It will provide a good anecdotal frame for the retail sector.

The road is packed with coffee-shops, furniture shops and electrical goods suppliers.

Yesterday I noticed one up-market furniture shop that has been there for years is closing down.

Along with the obvious housing related businesses, other things that will go 'pop' will include:

high end gyms

Private school attendance

car dealerships

private 'members' clubs

niche travel agencies

any restaurant that isn't at the top of its game in a great location

I'm going to keep a keen eye on Tottenham Court Road now. It will provide a good anecdotal frame for the retail sector.

The road is packed with coffee-shops, furniture shops and electrical goods suppliers.

Yesterday I noticed one up-market furniture shop that has been there for years is closing down.

Which one?

Guest Charlie The Tramp

We are being flooded with takeaway menus through the letterbox which are repeated every month, many from businesses over 5 miles away. On Bank Holiday Monday the local chippie who is always busy on that day was empty. A friend who owns an electrical shop has seen sales drop dramatically, but repairs have increased by 500% he says that it is balancing his turnover. He witnessed the same thing during the last HPC and recession. I believe this is the type of evidence that the recession is well underway now as people really have to cut back to pay off their debts.