House Price Crash Forum
toodimm

New Car Cheaper Than Second Hand

But they are disposable now.

Like ones that blow up at 100k miles or get rapped round lamposts and stuff. Look at the CAT D write offs (my idea of a luxury car). Insurers seem to write cars off because a a wee nudge and a dent.

It often takes less labour to simply make another car in the mass automated factory.. than to arrange special repairs, and many hours of repair work by mechanics and ordering special parts, and not being guarunteed of the job being properly finished.

That is how little labour it takes to make a new car, that it is rivaling doing some repairs on an older car.

Obviously this has already happened in things like stereos, tvs and computers. If yours breaks they just pass you a new one and throw the other one away. Whereas twenty years ago they used to try to repair.

Guest Noodle

It often takes less labour to simply make another car in the mass automated factory.. than to arrange special repairs, and many hours of repair work by mechanics and ordering special parts, and not being guarunteed of the job being properly finished.

That is how little labour it takes to make a new car, that it is rivaling doing some repairs on an older car.

Obviously this has already happened in things like stereos, tvs and computers. If yours breaks they just pass you a new one and throw the other one away. Whereas twenty years ago they used to try to repair.

It's because fixing a car in the UK is brutal money is why.

Over here, a village mechanic and panel beater will take this . . .

car_crushing_7_420x315.jpg

and turn it back into this . . .

dsc_0002.jpg

. . . for about 50 quid.

It's because fixing a car in the UK is brutal money is why.

Over here, a village mechanic and panel beater will take this . . .

car_crushing_7_420x315.jpg

and turn it back into this . . .

dsc_0002.jpg

. . . for about 50 quid.

It doesn't help that in our society some like mechanics seem to be pricing themselves out of a job. I remember a passenger in my car opened their door and put a slight dent in the car parked next to it. I had not realized but got a call from the insurance agency that I was at fault. They asked if I wanted to pay for the repairs or put it on my insurance, so I asked what it would cost to repair. The answer.. £400 pounds.

I could buy an entire new computer for that lol - I would hate to see some serious work needed! The service becomes so expensive that it is simply not affordable by the average person. So it becomes cheaper to move to the disposable society.

Guest Noodle

It doesn't help that in our society some like mechanics seem to be pricing themselves out of a job. I remember a passenger in my car opened their door and put a slight dent in the car parked next to it. I had not realized but got a call from the insurance agency that I was at fault. They asked if I wanted to pay for the repairs or put it on my insurance, so I asked what it would cost to repair. The answer.. £400 pounds.

I could buy an entire new computer for that lol - I would hate to see some serious work needed! The service becomes so expensive that it is simply not affordable by the average person. So it becomes cheaper to move to the disposable society.

Even back in 2000 I had a Mini 1000 with 27k on it, almost perfect. Doors were starting to go and had a tiny dent in the front wing. They wanted £900 to fix it!!!

2004 now. Teaching the old woman to drive in a rented Toyota.

Accident 1: 'I'll just check this junction to see if we have any cars coming love', she hears 'have car!' So floors it straight over a mud berm and into the adjacent rice paddy, ripping the front valance off.

Accident 2: She's come to a junction after a long straight and hasn't decided what the big circle in front of her is for. 'How do I, you know, go that way'. 'Turn the wheel'. Nope. I'm now yanking on the handbrake as she drives straight into a school sign taking out the passenger side wing, door won't open.

Total price of repairs via hire firm. £70.

Even back in 2000 I had a Mini 1000 with 27k on it, almost perfect. Doors were starting to go and had a tiny dent in the front wing. They wanted £900 to fix it!!!

2004 now. Teaching the old woman to drive in a rented Toyota.

Accident 1: 'I'll just check this junction to see if we have any cars coming love', she hears 'have car!' So floors it straight over a mud berm and into the adjacent rice paddy, ripping the front valance off.

Accident 2: She's come to a junction after a long straight and hasn't decided what the big circle in front of her is for. 'How do I, you know, go that way'. 'Turn the wheel'. Nope. I'm now yanking on the handbrake as she drives straight into a school sign taking out the passenger side wing, door won't open.

Total price of repairs via hire firm. £70.

That is just insanity.. from your signature do you live in Thailand?

These Asian societies do not seem to have the out of control cost of doing business.

Guest Noodle

That is just insanity.. from your signature do you live in Thailand?

These Asian societies do not seem to have the out of control cost of doing business.

I do.

You mean you actually live in Britain, I thought this was an expat forum. :lol:

Total ground up engine rebuild on a 2.5 turbo diesel Isuzu engine I recently blew to the four winds came in at £600 . . . a new engine basically, fitted inc labour. That's with the quid in the bog.

One thing we do have is price stability, no inflation at all.

About 3 years ago I sent back a company car that had been parked on London streets, so had good sized dents to all 4 corners, a smack in the door and needed a set of wheel trims. Total cost £300 , that's the difference between charging the cost and making a stonking profit on top.

Edited by phead

Guest Noodle

About 3 years ago I sent back a company car that had been parked on London streets, so had good sized dents to all 4 corners, a smack in the door and needed a set of wheel trims. Total cost £300 , that's the difference between charging the cost and making a stonking profit on top.

Costs are low. Parts costs are low. Labour isn't that much.

The prices charged are bonkers. No wonder insurance premiums are always up.

Because they con people like you into thinking they've gotten a bargain.

Loads of places pretend that their RRP is double what is should be, so that they can give you supposedly half-price offers.

If you took the trouble to read my post properly instead of skimming and jumping at the chance to ride a favourite hobby horse you would have noticed that we were ready to sign before Allied Carpets offered us £50 off to Scotchguard and upgrade the underlay.

Ie they seriously damaged their margin (whatever its was) all by themselves.

How does that fit into your Evil Retail Empire theory? Do enlighten us oh wise one.

The big thing about all great deals is will they deliver?

Most companies just before they go bankrupt offer unbelivable deals.

Why?

they know they are going under but realize they can suck so money in to line there pockets :angry:

Yeah there are some bad dudes in all walks of life.

However, the scepticism about spending money on cars here is interesting.

There appear to be folk on here with plenty of disposable who drive bangers and have a morbid fear of lining someone else's pocket.

1) Didn't they get plenty of disposable by getting others to line their pockets? (hypocrisy?)

2) A very small minority of cars are gorgeous and brilliantly engineered - I'm sorry to disappoint but its true and setting a £1k upper limit will permanently exclude them from your life.

Being wise, caring, prudent, socially responsible etc. is not incompatible with driving a tasty motor.

Broadly I agree and drive old cars ( one is even old enough to be tax free!) but I've had a couple of instances where the converse was true.

Bought a new car in 2004, just b4 xmas, just before they released a new model, qualified it for fleet pricing and sent the same fax to every garage in range asking for the lowest quote ( and including the current one) Got a genuinely killer deal. Sold it 18 months later for 85% of what I paid, probably in hinesight could have easily got 90-95% The official estimate I paid for valued initialy valued it at 15% more than I paid new and even when I complained they were still saying it had lost nothing.

So yeah It can, sometimes work if the planets are all aligned. ( plus I got to pick the colour!)

2 years ago bought a standard repmobile in good nick from a company that buy out corporate lease vehicles and put them on ebay. (Auction entry costs are high enough as a one off bidder to provide them with their margin) Basically totaly above board, standard second hand cover from a registered dealer but at a market price ( 4 k compared to about 6k being asked for for similar private sale cars, same cars werte going for 3.5-4.5 at ebay at the time)

It's almost 10 years old so all the depreciation should have been eaten up but nope, weirdly the price has been tumbling since then and it's now worth about a grand judging by similar cars back on that eternal bell weather ebay. So even without taking into account an expenseive cam belt change at 100k, my 10 year old car lost £1500 a year which is a shocking 33%. Strange but true. ( but I bet there is one at a dealers that still has a 6k sticker on it)

Which Vauxhalls do they still make in the UK?

Please tell me they still make Vauxhalls in the UK.

Just found out today that my 07 zafira was probably made in poland. Up to now i thought it was german.

Lots of wealthy people have a morbid fear of spending money on anything... I suspect it's the reason they are wealthy in the first place.

I am far from wealthy....but I now value my time, so when time is money why waste money needlessly....the times my car has been dented and scratched, I have had tow bars reversed into the back leaving dents, in narrow car parks doors slammed into the side.....so have now given up with worrying what it looks like, dive an old jalopy scrappage car, cheap insurance, tax and fuel....when I get a dent now I stick one of these on it. ;)

fl116.gif

Edited by winkie

I've always found that buying new with a big discount is better than buying a used car from a main dealer.

The reason for this is because they always add a big profit margin to the used car, wheras the new car is often subsidised by the manufacturer. Also the dealer often receives a large bonus if they reach a certain sales target, meaning they will sometimes even sell a car at a loss, just to reach their target.

The best approach is to go to the dealer near the end of the month, or better still near the end of a quarter (december is best) and haggle hard.

I was about to walk away and they even threw in the metallic paint and road tax, resulting in me paying £11k for my current ford focus 1.8 Zetec, against a list price of £15k. This big discount meant I suffered virtually no depreciation in the first year. The used car showroom 20 yards away had similar models 12 months old for the same price as I paid new!

my 2008 landrover is going for more than it cost me from new ..i got 5k off the price via a internet deal and last night i saw they were going for 1k more than what i paid for it.. but its selling it at that price.....thats the problem... :lol:

when I bought my last car from a dealership, they lied though there back teeth. They found a car on the computer and suggested they bring it locally for us to view, for no cost, and we could walk away. When the car arrived they changed there tune and said we would have to pay £700 if we didnt want to buy the car! Don't trust anything a dealership says

I hate car dealers. Two faced, slimy, lying turds!

snip

I was about to walk away and they even threw in the metallic paint and road tax, snip

shame they didnt throw in any metal.

Update for anyone who is bothered:

We went back to the dealer, armed with the info I picked up here. I gave the impression that we were still very interested in the finance deal that he was offering, but that it was my mum (who had come along) that was the stumbling block. After a while I said to the salesman

"I just can't understand how a new car could ever be a better financial decision than a second hand one".

His response was,

"well that's just how the economics works out at the moment, it just is".

After he had committed himself, I let rip with the information gleaned here, you should have seen his face drop. He did all the typical backtracking you'd expect, lying and distancing himself from his previous comments. My parting shot was

"If Toyota had not phoned us up, and then tried this trick, we would have come in, in about six months and bought a second hand car from you without a doubt, now you have managed to loose a definite sale, as we will not be coming back".

It was great fun to watch him stomp off.

Thanks for steering me clear of this nonsense. Yet again, if something sounds too good to be true, then there is probably a cunty salesman lying to you.

Guest Noodle

We went back to the dealer, armed with the info I picked up here. I gave the impression that we were still very interested in the finance deal that he was offering, but that it was my mum (who had come along) that was the stumbling block. After a while I said to the salesman

"I just can't understand how a new car could ever be a better financial decision than a second hand one".

His response was,

After he had committed himself, I let rip with the information gleaned here, you should have seen his face drop. He did all the typical backtracking you'd expect, lying and distancing himself from his previous comments. My parting shot was

"If Toyota had not phoned us up, and then tried this trick, we would have come in, in about six months and bought a second hand car from you without a doubt, now you have managed to loose a definite sale, as we will not be coming back".

Thanks for steering me clear of this nonsense. Yet again, if something sounds too good to be true, then there is probably a cunty salesman lying to you.

Go to the auctions, get one for next to nowt then spend a bit fixing it up if needs be.

I used to do this. Would never deal with a car salesman, he'd get hurt.

AUCTIONS = ZERO HASSLE.

His response was,

dont blame Toyota.

They ALL do these PCP plans. They ALL Push them...how do you think so many can "afford" the X5s and Cayennes...only £600 per month....and you know the rest.

However, the scepticism about spending money on cars here is interesting.

There appear to be folk on here with plenty of disposable who drive bangers and have a morbid fear of lining someone else's pocket.

1) Didn't they get plenty of disposable by getting others to line their pockets? (hypocrisy?)

2) A very small minority of cars are gorgeous and brilliantly engineered - I'm sorry to disappoint but its true and setting a £1k upper limit will permanently exclude them from your life.

Being wise, caring, prudent, socially responsible etc. is not incompatible with driving a tasty motor.

To me it is about value, like houses. When I see a Ford focus or VW Polo for around £10k I get alarm bells ringing in my head. The only reason new cars cost these prices is because of unrestrained availability of credit IMO.

Second hand are less supported by credit and in my experience offer considerably more value whatever the make and model, but particularly luxury cars.

It's not about a them and us thing.

His response was,

You should have taped it and sent it to something like Watchdog.