House Price Crash Forum

Panorama Now

pl1

HOLA441

BBC1 now

Eighteen months after the great British banking crash, there are few visible changes on Britain's high streets. Most of the same old names are still there, and the banks are back to making handsome profits and equally handsome bonuses - rewarding themselves to the tune of 6 billion pounds in 2009.

Reporter Adam Shaw investigates the current state of Britain's high street banks, and reveals that while base rates remain low, the cost of borrowing for customers has risen significantly - with one bailed-out bank charging an effective interest rate in excess of 3,000 per cent - while small businesses are finding it just as hard to get a loan.

Edited by pl1

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Welsh idiot with the 4th kid on the way, wants to get out of his 1 bed place (I think that is right). He is ranting that Barclays told him they wanted a 15% deposit (he had an offer for a 5% deposit). He is angry that when he paid £300 to Halifax for a valuation report, they told him the house was worth less than he had offered, so they would not lend.....

Sure I feel sorry for him in a way, but ffs, it is a massive credit bubble and houses are totally over priced!!!!!!

Will the Panorama team manage to make the leap to the fact that after 300% HPI inflation in a decade, HOUSES ARE TOO EXPENSIVE??????????

Not so far, and I don't hold out much hope yet. Somebody please tell this idiot journalist, Adam Shaw, that prices are too high, and that the banks are saving us from ourselves as well as saving themselves.

HOLA449

Adam Shaw left Working Luch, his mate A. Chiles has bug****d off to itv, seems to me he's struggling.

My halifax a/c charges £1 a day for an overdraft but I can go up to £2499 o/d for that. I don't, but it'd be good value if I had to.

Edited by deflation

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Made the point that that if you had a £10 overdraft then you'll get charged £1 a day giving you an interest rate of 3650% for the entire year.

I found that a bit of a stupid example. As if you're going to go £1 overdrawn for a whole year, knowing you'll get charged £1 a day. I assume the same would apply if you went 1p overdrawn, so they could have said it was 365000%!

At least this system means that if you go overdrawn accidently for a day (a more likely scenario, perhaps) you'll only be charged £1. I can remember being charged £27.50 for an unauthorised overdraft, even if it was only for a day! The £1 a day thing seems pretty straightforward to me, and as long as you keep an eye on your account it shouldn't cost you much.

Simple rule: Only spend what you have!

Perhaps it would be fairer for the banks to give people the option to prevent their accounts going below zero, if they don't want any fees - is that possible with a current account?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The welsh guy doesnt know how lucky he is that no one will give him a mortgage.

He also said he had a secure tenancy council house...rare as hens teeth...would not throw that away in a hurry. ;)

Forgot to add...did I hear them say he wanted to buy a house for more than a professional valuer valued it for....madness.

Edited by winkie

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

It seems the bankers have created another scam, get a valuation done for a couple of hundred quid and then get the value too low so you don't qualify for the mortgage but hey we've pocketed the valuation fee.

Money for nothing.

Well thats always been the case. However I thought the Halifax had done the guy a favour by telling him the house was not worth the money.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

He also said he had a secure tenancy council house...rare as hens teeth...would not throw that away in a hurry. ;)

Forgot to add...did I hear them say he wanted to buy a house for more than a professional valuer valued it for....madness.

Thing was, it was valued at LESS than the price he haggled down to, 25% off the asking price which was just over £100k.

Edited by deflation

HOLA4419

Yes, and that's after he apparently negotiated 25% of the asking price!

I thought this might be a serious documentary, but it turned out to be a load of gimmicks, and sypathising for the poor people that the nasty banks wouldn't lend money to to buy over-priced houses.

Not much word on the poor savers, who are getting very little return for being sensible with their money.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Noodle

Come on...who realistically would be £10 overdrawn for a whole year....they would deserve to pay £1 per day if they didn't have a tenner to put them back into the black.

Fair enough. What about the 'pay day loans', similar levels of interest. We forget the situation many get into when they go skint. It's a trap.

Suddenly £10 is a fortune and £1 a day terminal. Does happen.

HOLA4422

Fair enough. What about the 'pay day loans', similar levels of interest. We forget the situation many get into when they go skint. It's a trap.

That is something completely different....not to be recommended only to be used in an emergency, loans over a few days at extortionate rates of interest, not good.

I would say going back to the £10 overdrawn for a year...has to be someone who does not keep a check on their finances or open their statements or has moved addresses.

HOLA4423
Guest Noodle

That is something completely different....not to be recommended only to be used in an emergency, loans over a few days at extortionate rates of interest, not good.

I would say going back to the £10 overdrawn for a year...has to be someone who does not keep a check on their finances or open their statements or has moved addresses.

True enough. But I still don't see it's a bad example of bank greed and evil.

HOLA4424

Sure.....A packet of fags is now over £6.00. That is £0.33 per fag. Cut out 3 fags a day and you have covered the £........but you are not doing your duty by recapitalising the banks, and you are not paying off Gordon's debt either!

HOLA4425
Guest Noodle

Sure.....A packet of fags is now over £6.00. That is £0.33 per fag. Cut out 3 fags a day and you have covered the £........but you are not doing your duty by recapitalising the banks, and you are not paying off Gordon's debt either!

:blink::blink::blink: