House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pick It Down

Slowest Arctic July Ice Melt On Record

Sea ice melt

Year 6/30 to 7/15 Daily rate

2002 1.126 million sq km 75,000 sq km / day

2003 1.014 67,000

2004 1.019 68,000

2005 1.152 77,000

2006 1.210 80,000

2007 1.742 116,000

2008 1.216 81,000

2009 1.413 94,000

2010 0.807 54,000

July melt rate at an all-time low!

Never has ice melted so slowly in mid-summer as it has this year - less than half the rate in 2007 - far below anything on record. Would NOAA already call it a record low melt for the month?

Indeed, global sea ice is above normal. Just at a time when it's supposedy the hottest ever.

"Someone is wrong, obviously," says Gosselin. "Do you think anyone in the media is going to run this story?"

See entire article:

http://pgosselin.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/slowest-july-arctic-melt-ever/

AMSRE_Sea_Ice_Extent_L.png

I'm no believer in global warming but your own graph shows that the extent of sea ice is less than any year other than 2007, in fact a month ago it was at the lowest recorded area. A two week anomaly in the rate of melt means nothing. We have just had the fourth consecutive warmest month on record after all. http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/archive.html?year=2010&month=07

I'm no believer in global warming but your own graph shows that the extent of sea ice is less than any year other than 2007, in fact a month ago it was at the lowest recorded area. A two week anomaly in the rate of melt means nothing. We have just had the fourth consecutive warmest month on record after all. http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/archive.html?year=2010&month=07

The ice has been growing for the past three years at minimumextent despite the unscientific alarmist nonsense about "tipping points" and "rotten ice"..

According to the satellites (which don't have Hansen/Jones' fiddling or Urban Heat Island bias), 1998 is still warmer than 2010.

In 12 years, if the theory is correct, we should have warmed 0.36c due to CO2. Instead there has been no warming. Bizarre that there are still denialists, huh?

One swallow doesn't make a summer (or words to that effect). :lol:

I thought it was one swallow doesnt make a relationship

The ice has been growing for the past three years at minimumextent despite the unscientific alarmist nonsense about "tipping points" and "rotten ice"..

According to the satellites (which don't have Hansen/Jones' fiddling or Urban Heat Island bias), 1998 is still warmer than 2010.

In 12 years, if the theory is correct, we should have warmed 0.36c due to CO2. Instead there has been no warming. Bizarre that there are still denialists, huh?

I can counter your evidence with empirical proof global warming is happening.

Today I was in Margate as I have been on summer days in years gone by. However I noticed the rate at which my lemon ice lolly melted was faster than in previous years.

Likewise on the Polish Coast a couple of weeks ago and again - ice lolly's melting faster than ever.

When she swallows, you know she loves you.

My ex was in a netball team called Swifts. Typical of women they decided they wanted to change their name and on the theme of Migratory birds they changed their name to Swallows - much to amusement of the boyfriends / husbands / children... :lol:

Today I was in Margate as I have been on summer days in years gone by. However I noticed the rate at which my lemon ice lolly melted was faster than in previous years.

Just wait till you get to Saudi Arabia.

Certainly not the White Lightning lollies favoured in Margate.

The best lollies would be made from freshly melted arctic ice. Melting Glacier ice would also suffice from say Switzerland . I see a business opportunity here. alert people to global warming and make money at the same time. Win, win in my book.Obviously you would have to refreeze the ice.

Really? So, what the average temperature for 1990-1999, and the average temperature for 2000-2009? After all, if I pick 1997 and 2009 for my cherries I can get +0.34.*

Try learning some maths. Actually, start with basic critical thinking skills.

* Data:

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata/GLB.Ts.txt

Sea ice melt

Year 6/30 to 7/15 Daily rate

2002 1.126 million sq km 75,000 sq km / day

2003 1.014 67,000

2004 1.019 68,000

2005 1.152 77,000

2006 1.210 80,000

2007 1.742 116,000

2008 1.216 81,000

2009 1.413 94,000

2010 0.807 54,000

July melt rate at an all-time low!

Never has ice melted so slowly in mid-summer as it has this year - less than half the rate in 2007 - far below anything on record. Would NOAA already call it a record low melt for the month?

Indeed, global sea ice is above normal. Just at a time when it's supposedy the “hottest ever.

"Someone is wrong, obviously," says Gosselin. "Do you think anyone in the media is going to run this story?"

See entire article:

http://pgosselin.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/slowest-july-arctic-melt-ever/

AMSRE_Sea_Ice_Extent_L.png

No ice left to melt? That's one possible interpretation of the figures. There isn't sufficient information there to know.

1998 was an unusually warm year for other non global warming reasons. Pick any other year, and it is a very different story.

1998 was an unusually warm year for other non global warming reasons. Pick any other year, and it is a very different story.

1998 was indeed an El Nino year, explaining its warmth. 2010 is also an El Nino year. Why isn't 2010 thus 0.36c warmer than 1998?

When the facts don't fit the theory, you change the theory rather than sticking your fingers in your ears.

No ice left to melt? That's one possible interpretation of the figures. There isn't sufficient information there to know.

That graph shows that there is 8,000,000sq km of Arctic Ice in place, holding firm against all that nasty carbon.

1998 was indeed an El Nino year, explaining its warmth. 2010 is also an El Nino year. Why isn't 2010 thus 0.36c warmer than 1998?

When the facts don't fit the theory, you change the theory rather than sticking your fingers in your ears.

1989 was a solar maximum, weirdly the warm years tend to be the years the sun is at its warmest, and the cold winters are at the minimums. Weird egh, who would think that tempurature changes in huge fusion reactor in the sky could effect the temperature on earth

sunspot_cycle_graph_big.gif

was 1946 a cold year? Yes

was 1995 cold? Yes coldest recorded UK tempurature

was 1936 cold, yes again

1989 was a solar maximum, weirdly the warm years tend to be the years the sun is at its warmest, and the cold winters are at the minimums.  Weird egh, who would think that tempurature changes in huge fusion reactor in the sky could effect the temperature on earth

sunspot_cycle_graph_big.gif

thats a nailed on short

1989 was a solar maximum, weirdly the warm years tend to be the years the sun is at its warmest, and the cold winters are at the minimums.  Weird egh, who would think that tempurature changes in huge fusion reactor in the sky could effect the temperature on earth

sunspot_cycle_graph_big.gif. My bet would be 1910-12 was also an extra cold year with lots of arctic ice.

So how much effect are you saying solar changes have had recently on global temperatures?

So how much effect are you saying solar changes have had recently on global temperatures?

All I am saying is look at historic cold and warm dates and they normally line up... The other big thing is the sun also has long and short cycles, the past 100 years has seen more solar activity, the next 100 years will see less solar activity. The big cold periods are linked with the sun.

It has also been found that sunspots/warmer sun/warmer earth also causes higher river levels, more sun more evaporation and rain:

http://nzclimatescience.net/images/PDFs/alexander2707.pdf

Quite a bit, sunspots also causes higher river levels:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/sunspots-and-water-levels.htm

Yes, I also accept that the sun has an effect that climate models and warmingistas fail to acknowledge.

WHether it is enough to mask the hypothesised 0.36c warming since 1998 that we haven't seen I'm quite unsure. I think the missing 0.36c can instead be attributed to around 0.1c solar effects and that the 0.36c is an exaggeration as CO2 increases will not lead to 3c/century warming as the alarmists claim.

We may have reached a consensus here? :)

Serious question 'Pick it Down',

Are you an IFA for a living ?

Since they always seem to present their investment-growth, past performance graphs on a similar selective choice of periods/data