House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
alwightchav!

Silver Upbeat Into The Future?

From the article:

'Direct investment is certainly possible, but given the relatively low silver price, it’s fairly impractical; a 1,000 troy ounce bar weighs 31 kilograms, for example – not an asset you can easily store under the mattress. In the UK, VAT is also charged on physical silver, making this option expensive too'.

Oh deary, deary me :rolleyes:

From the article:

'Direct investment is certainly possible, but given the relatively low silver price, it’s fairly impractical; a 1,000 troy ounce bar weighs 31 kilograms, for example – not an asset you can easily store under the mattress. In the UK, VAT is also charged on physical silver, making this option expensive too'.

Stick with gold for the main part. The current dip should provide a good buying opportunity soon. As for silver the VAT means it's a much longer shot. But as silver tends to track gold (despite more short-term volatility), but with much greater geared gains on the upside, it might be worth taking a small speculative bet on it. I did this in Jan 2009, putting 5% of my cash assets into it (45% in gold). More or less broken even now on silver, still in profit on gold despite the recent pull back (the recent gains were huge after all). Now I'm just waiting for all this austerity ******** and nonsense bank stress test rubbish to blow over so we can get back on with the show and my early retirement. Hurry up and sack all those government workers so they start rioting asap, I want the printing presses turned back on now!!!

From the article:

If you want silver exposure you can a silver ETF, being SLV or others like it. You can buy the physical stuff through goldmoney.com. No VAT. Silver is the best bet of the lot except for some mining shares if you are in the know.

If you want silver exposure you can a silver ETF, being SLV or others like it. You can buy the physical stuff through goldmoney.com. No VAT. Silver is the best bet of the lot except for some mining shares if you are in the know.

Silver is due a major correction to around the $14.50 level. 2 weeks ago we had 95% silver bulls, when this situation happens a 25% correction follows. Silver has not followed gold. I used to own silver and it is one of the most frustrating precious metals to own. At credit crunch part I i saw it go from $21 to $8.60 in 6 months.

After the deflationary melt down it will be good to pick up silver again. First Credit Crunch part II has to happen. I do not think we are far away from it.

Silver is due a major correction to around the $14.50 level. 2 weeks ago we had 95% silver bulls, when this situation happens a 25% correction follows. Silver has not followed gold. I used to own silver and it is one of the most frustrating precious metals to own. At credit crunch part I i saw it go from $21 to $8.60 in 6 months.

After the deflationary melt down it will be good to pick up silver again. First Credit Crunch part II has to happen. I do not think we are far away from it.

be carefull with some Silver ETFs. I was invested in one in 2008 that was guaranteed by AIG. If AIG failed i would have lost all my money invested in it. I think PHAG is a pretty good one as it is backed up by physical silver.

be carefull with some Silver ETFs. I was invested in one in 2008 that was guaranteed by AIG. If AIG failed i would have lost all my money invested in it. I think PHAG is a pretty good one as it is backed up by physical silver.

I am not at all keen on a SLV ETF. In my opinion, it could all go terribly wrong and everyone invested in it could lose their money.

Goldmoney and/or physical possession is the way to go.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

Moneyweek article is dated Oct 17, 2007??!

Yes, the article is a little dated.

However, the point i was exploring was silver as a potential long-term investment. From the article:

'silver to rise from around $13 per ounce to some $130 in the next eight years, making it potentially the investment opportunity of a lifetime'.

and...

'if the rest of the world catches up with America in terms of mineral consumption, the world will run out of silver in just ten years, according to New Scientist'.

and...

'In 1900, analysts reckon there were 12 billion ounces of silver in the world, enough to keep everyone in fancy thimbles. By 1990, commodities research firm CPM Group estimates this had fallen to around 2.2 billion ounces; now there are only 300 million ounces of refined silver left'.

So, could silver possibly be an excellent long-term investment considering its industrial applications, its future scarcity and unique properties???

Yes, the article is a little dated.

However, the point i was exploring was silver as a potential long-term investment. From the article:

'silver to rise from around $13 per ounce to some $130 in the next eight years, making it potentially the investment opportunity of a lifetime'.

and...

'if the rest of the world catches up with America in terms of mineral consumption, the world will run out of silver in just ten years, according to New Scientist'.

and...

'In 1900, analysts reckon there were 12 billion ounces of silver in the world, enough to keep everyone in fancy thimbles. By 1990, commodities research firm CPM Group estimates this had fallen to around 2.2 billion ounces; now there are only 300 million ounces of refined silver left'.

So, could silver possibly be an excellent long-term investment considering its industrial applications, its future scarcity and unique properties???

Yeah just wait until they discover a cheaper synthetic re-placement for silver for industrial use, then we are all out of pocket. Im bailing out of silver now.

Just wait for a hedgefund to buy up the year's supply (like chocolate now, palladium in year 2000), then sell on a price spike. It's only a matter of time before a fund does this at these low rates of interest.

Guest spp

I am not at all keen on a SLV ETF. In my opinion, it could all go terribly wrong and everyone invested in it could lose their money.

Goldmoney and/or physical possession is the way to go.

THE ULTIMATE FRAUD!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmq41wDJLo

PAPER SILVER!

KNEECAP THE BANKSTERS...BUY PHYSICAL SILVER!!!

Edited by spp

Guest spp

Yeah just wait until they discover a cheaper synthetic re-placement for silver for industrial use, then we are all out of pocket. Im bailing out of silver now.

Good luck with that one! :lol: