House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mega

If Bp Went Bust How Badly Hit Would We Be?

My thoughts:-

The Yanks now know the DEEP offshore doesn't yeild the oil they thought it would. Yes the gulf is filling nicely but they found other deepsea rigs are a dissapointment. Now factor in that we are close to "peek oil" & Amerca has a problem..............they need a proven souce......like what BP has in Lybia. Now factor in the the gulf thing is far more nasty than we thought & american politco's require a scapegaot.........like BP.

In other words American's are going to take down BP, & take its assects...........How badly will that hurt us in loss of income (Tax) from BP?

Mike

Yes, but they "own" the Libya oil.

Mike

I don't think the pension fall out would cover that, US pension funds be hit at the most problematical time. Plus it's Libyan oil. Politically an even bigger problem for the US govt. Far better to leave it for BP to develop.

Furthermore, even if the assets of BP did fall into American hands following the company's collapse, do you think it's at all likely that Gadaffy would allow an American-owned company to take over those drilling rights? And even if he did, would doing business with Libya be politically palatable for any US government?

Apparently BP pay more tax and employ more people in the US than the UK.

So this conspiracy theory is dead in the water.

Yeah but whats a few thousand jobs if you get to run bp? And why would any americans have to lose jobs anyway?

BP is 40% British owned, 39% American and the other 21% the ROTW.

The yanks would be hit as badly as the brits

There are 5 times as many people in the US as in the UK.

The press here in the USA is still rampant with criticism of BP and the Labwhore government because of the perceived link between the release of the Lockerbie bomber, Al Megrahi, and the award of Libyan production sharing agreements to BP.

Link

I suspect the beasting of BP was partly due to Washingtons impotence in stopping the accused from being released. In reality, the UK may well have evidence that he was innocent but thats another matter. Of course, if he was not then why release him so that he can miraculously recover and wave one finger at the USA. A very odd case indeed, but then oil and gas politics is very odd with several famous events in which the 'majors' and 'independents' get access to oil and gas leases under very dubious terms: remember Unocals shennanigans or how the US government bullied Petrobras? Or, come to think of it who is the main beneficiary in Iraq and Afganistan.

The only relalistic counterweight to US bullying is the EU which will emerge from the financial crisis as the dominant trading block. Sadly, there are too many british elites with a vested interest in seeing Britain used as bubbas punchbag. Here are some thoughts for you: the major incidents in BP that I am aware of are:

Texas City 2005

Texas City 2008

Thunderhorse nearly sinks

Thunderhorse snaps riser

Atlantis whistle blower

Alaska Pipeline

Moncando Blowout

What is the common factor??? Anyone care to guess? They nearly identified the answer in this weekends FT........

I don't think the pension fall out would cover that, US pension funds be hit at the most problematical time. Plus it's Libyan oil. Politically an even bigger problem for the US govt. Far better to leave it for BP to develop.

How badly will that hurt us in loss of income (Tax) from BP?

Mike

I read they paid £500m in UK tax last year out of a worldwide total tax of £2bn - can't find source now, though