House Price Crash Forum
geoffk

What Rate Are You Getting For Your Savings?

With the news of nsi withdrawing i was thinking how many of us are getting rubbish rates for our savings..i dont think i done too bad when i got 5% from the newcastle building society last year for five years.. what is your savings rate?

Gah!! Please use the savings and investment section of the forum :)

I just put £11k into NS&I. I have one Lloyds vantage account which gives me something like £25 per month on a balance up to £7k - roughly 4%. Thinking of getting a second one. Took all the money out of my cash ISA (Lloyds) as was very poor. Have £some money sitting in a S&S ISA - bought Lloyds a while back for the long haul, the rest doing nothing.

My Vantage account is overflowing (over the £7k mark you get nothing back on your money) so if I don't open a second one I will have to think of something else. I was thinking of paying some of my student loan of each month - at least it would feel like my money is doing something.

With the news of nsi withdrawing i was thinking how many of us are getting rubbish rates for our savings..i dont think i done too bad when i got 5% from the newcastle building society last year for five years.. what is your savings rate?

Wouldn't dare lock in for 5 years. Currently taking 3% or so for 2 yr fixed\rate

Got some lloyds vantage and incentive saver, paying something like 3-4%, and coventry paying 3.3%, though that runs out end of this month and was going into RPI savings certs - though i guess not now. :lol::(

Other than that a Natwest eisa giving 3.25% and a few gold coins doing not much. Bits and bobs in dollars and euros giving some stupid rate of interest.

All instant access at least. Probably should convert it to Brazilian or chinese currency really.

Wouldn't dare lock in for 5 years. Currently taking 3% or so for 2 yr fixed\rate

90 days loss of interest...not a bad deal..

Mostly NS&I RPI+1% taxfree

Halifax Web ~2.75% last time I looked

A&L ~3% (old issue, bonus due to finish in September)

N.Rock ~2.5%

Halifax Reg Savers ~6% (kids names)

Haven't check the rates for a few weeks so may be out of date.

All the money I have in savings accounts is ear marked for buying a house.

So It's effectively worth about 20% more than it was 2.5 years ago + the interest earned, so its up say maybe 25% in that time.

I think It's about to earn me in real terms 10% p.a. for the next 2 years...as prices plummet :lol:

It's not the savings rate you want to worry about, it's the price of the house you buy with your savings.

If you're thinking any other way then you ought to be over on:

www.carpricecrash.co.uk

www.foodpricecrash.co.uk

Locked in to a 5 yr deal from Barclays paying 5.39%.

The interest i get i use to buy shares in HSBC Infrastructure , tight trading range and good yield.

I reckon I`m averaging about 3%, with no money "tied in".

I`m watching `em like a hawk though. Any bank that tries to sneakily drop the rate they`re paying me will soon see a withdrawal on my account.

Locked in to a 5 yr deal from Barclays paying 5.39%.

The interest i get i use to buy shares in HSBC Infrastructure , tight trading range and good yield.

Can you get your money out of Barclays if you need/want to?

How much yield do you get from HSBC Infrastructure?

I just went through my fund last week - I was getting 0.1% from the Co-Op, 0.1% from Leeds and the same from B&B now Santander.

Nationwide are paying 0.45% on their web saver now so I am in the process of moving money around.

I was in the Nationwide this afternoon and there was an elderly lady in there, must have been late 70s to early 80s, holding her annual interest statement in her hand. She was frail and very anxious about the poor return on her savings, asked for advice and they talked her into opening a 3 year 2.75% bond. I almost cried for her but she represents millions of pensioners.

I am so angry about Brown and Labour. That pensioner will now see her savings erode against inflation, if the rates go up in 6 or 12 months she can take her money out but with loss of interest. Scandalous.

7% at ICICI ends September & 6.25% Nationwide also ends September.

Won't be fixing again, will just put in the best instant access, think they are paying about 2.7%.

Might shift some into another currency, but depends if the Pound rallies, which is looking doubtfull. Also might buy some gold if it dips.

Edited by neil324

Can you get your money out of Barclays if you need/want to?

How much yield do you get from HSBC Infrastructure?

Its a bond with Barclays - no early redemption.

HSBC Infrastructure pay 7p a share and it trades in a range from 110-125p.

The dividend policy looks progressive and they keep growing the profits. Steady return is what i wanted and i'm quite happy with what they they are doing.

West Bromwich @ 3.9%

Post Office @ 3.85%

Nationwide @ 4.96% fixed until 2015

NS&I @ 3.95% - Frustratingly ends in Oct 2010

The AA @ 4.02%

Birmingham Midshires @ 5.03 until 2014

Edited by exiges

Halifax pay me £5 net pcm but zero interest on a current account. I also have 2 Santander current accounts (formerly Abbey and A&L) which pay 6% on the first £2500. All 3 accounts have funding requirements so i need another £1000 to cycle between the accounts to meet this requirement.

That means my £6000 nets 5% (6.25% gross equiv).

£5000 NS&I 3 year Index Linked opened Feb 2010.

and £7500 NS&I 3% fix 1 yr cash ISA

Edited by LeeT

Newcastle BS 5 yr fixed rate ISA at 5%. 30 day notice to withdraw or transfer, no loss of interest. Expires July 2014.

Santander base rate +3% tracker ISA. Expires march 2011

Barclays regular saver 4.17%. (That's what I use to save for holidays and presents each year.)

IF instant access savings 2.5% (for everyday use. Whenever it exceeds its upper cap the excess goes into current ISA)

AA 18 month fixed rate bond 4.02%. Expires Dec 2010.

Two Halifax reward accounts. Pay £10 per month 'reward' for washing my salary through there once per month. (I use a different current account for everyday banking). As I keep precisely £1in each account (the rewards get paid into my regular saver) that works out at 6000% APR before tax per account.

edited because a) Chrome doesn't work properly here and B) I forgot the last two accounts

Edited by Deleriad

Savings? Don't make me laugh....................

I used to save until about 12 months ago when I realised what a complete an utter fool I had been.

All the rates you have disclosed are gross of course. The 40%'ers of you are getting screwed already.

Newcastle BS 5 yr fixed rate ISA at 5%. 30 day notice to withdraw or transfer, no loss of interest. Expires July 2014.

Santander base rate +3% tracker ISA. Expires march 2011

Barclays regular saver 4.17%. (That's what I use to save for holidays and presents each year.)

IF instant access savings 2.5% (for everyday use. Whenever it exceeds its upper cap the excess goes into current ISA)

AA 18 month fixed rate bond 4.02%. Expires Dec 2010.

Two Halifax reward accounts. Pay £10 per month 'reward' for washing my salary through there once per month. (I use a different current account for everyday banking). As I keep precisely £1in each account (the rewards get paid into my regular saver) that works out at 6000% APR before tax per account.

edited because a) Chrome doesn't work properly here and B) I forgot the last two accounts

Perfect example.

Well done for being so prudent btw.

However, your rates are gross so a 40% tax payer's best deal is 3% net? Remind me what is RPI right now?

Its a bond with Barclays - no early redemption.

HSBC Infrastructure pay 7p a share and it trades in a range from 110-125p.

The dividend policy looks progressive and they keep growing the profits. Steady return is what i wanted and i'm quite happy with what they they are doing.

Thanks for that. I can't contemplate fixing any bond for 5 years in the current climate unfortunately but I'll look at HSBC infrastructure, it looks interesting.

West Bromwich @ 3.9%

Post Office @ 3.85%

Nationwide @ 4.96% fixed until 2015

NS&I @ 3.95% - Frustratingly ends in Oct 2010

The AA @ 4.02%

Birmingham Midshires @ 5.03 until 2014

I share your frustration about the NS&I ending in October (and dread of what the new rate might be)