House Price Crash Forum

What Rate Are You Getting For Your Savings?

HOLA441
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Savings? Don't make me laugh....................

I used to save until about 12 months ago when I realised what a complete an utter fool I had been.

All the rates you have disclosed are gross of course. The 40%'ers of you are getting screwed already.

You bought a house? Yes?

To my mind even stuffing cash under the mattress is better than that, but time will tell.

HOLA443

Perfect example.

Well done for being so prudent btw.

However, your rates are gross so a 40% tax payer's best deal is 3% net? Remind me what is RPI right now?

Good point but it doesn't indicate WHAT anyone with cash can do about it - and that's people who don't want to buy a property or invest in gold or FX.... and that is a lot of people.

HOLA444
HOLA445

All the money I have in savings accounts is ear marked for buying a house.

So It's effectively worth about 20% more than it was 2.5 years ago + the interest earned, so its up say maybe 25% in that time.

I think It's about to earn me in real terms 10% p.a. for the next 2 years...as prices plummet :lol:

It's not the savings rate you want to worry about, it's the price of the house you buy with your savings.

If you're thinking any other way then you ought to be over on:

www.carpricecrash.co.uk

www.foodpricecrash.co.uk

have a large str cash fund @ 4% in Santander for another 18 months (with free exit) and i'm employing exactly the same attitude as you ignoring general cost of living inflation and keeping eye only on house prices in target area, I'll wait as long as it takes as prices are going one way

Edited by tennaval

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Sweet FA right now

I have a Cambridge Building Society ISA (Formerly a tessa) - 1.9%

Nationwide ISA - 0.25% (I have got to do something about this now) :angry:

Britannia Direct saver reserve 1%

Barclays Monthly saver - 0.4%

Also £8K in Zopa.

Approx £32K of which only two accounts are getting anywhere near RPI....

Keep meaning to open a Norwich and Peterborough Reg Saver account - max £250pcm @ 4%

Should also take out a FR bond - perhaps 3-5 years?

Alternative is pay down mortgage but its small already and I only pay 2% (variable rate tracker for life)

HOLA449

You can still get 3.25% in Marks & Spencer fixed rate bond for 3 years BUT the only penalty for withdrawing all your money is £100.........

That's not very good for a 3yr rate IMO

Today I saw this:

"Bank of Baroda, India's third largest bank is offering one, two, three and five-year fixed-rate bonds, all of which have gone straight to the top of the best buy tables.

It is paying a return of 4.9 per cent on its five-year bond, beating the previous market leader, fellow Indian institution ICICI Bank, which offered 4.75 per cent over the same term."

Edited by exiges

HOLA4410

Also £8K in Zopa.

Oops, forgot about that, I've got about £4500 in ZOPA, lent out at an average of 9.5%, mainly over short term A*

Only had one written off (£20 @ 13%)

Edited by exiges

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Oops, forgot about that, I've got about £4500 in ZOPA, lent out at an average of 9.5%, mainly over short term A*

Only had one written off (£20 @ 13%)

Ironically the only one I have had go bad on me was an A60*

All the listings C&Y (about 12% of portfolio) have been as good as gold so far - touch woodx100

ZOPA is the only thing I am getting any decent interest on with the added bonus of getting one over on the banks.

Edited by Kurt Barlow

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Nationwide ISA - 0.25% (I have got to do something about this now) :angry:

I asked at the counter about the p(ss poor rates and the girl wasn't interested. Have moved it now and went in to get balance before doing so and the girl was distraught that i was taking my cash away. She wanted to know which counter staff person it'd been.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I asked at the counter about the p(ss poor rates and the girl wasn't interested. Have moved it now and went in to get balance before doing so and the girl was distraught that i was taking my cash away. She wanted to know which counter staff person it'd been.

I moved money out of Nationwide's e-saver account where it was getting 0.5% to Nationwide's Champion Saver - passbook, branch based account - which pays the average of the 5 best paying comparable accounts. About 2.7% at the moment. 60 days Notice as far as I remember.

Why do Nationwide offer 0.5% on an internet based account and 2.7% on a branch based account. They are f u c k i n g mad.