House Price Crash Forum

Gulf Of Mexico Doom Scenario Back On?

Eric Blair

HOLA441

oops!

US fears Gulf seabed oil seepage near stricken BP well

The US fears oil may be seeping from the ocean floor near the stricken Gulf of Mexico oil well.

The official in charge of the clean-up, Thad Allen, said if a substance leaking from the seabed was found to be methane this might mean oil was also leaking.

He ordered BP to submit a plan to reopen the capped well if the seepage was confirmed, so that oil could be funnelled to the surface.

But BP says it would take three days to start this process.

During this time, the daily leakage of tens of thousands of barrels of oil, which had been capped last Thursday, could resume.

The well began leaking oil into the Gulf after BP's Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded on 20 April, killing 11 workers, and capsized two days later.

BP had hoped the cap could stay in place until relief wells stopped the leak for good.

But with pressure readings from within the well lower than expected, scientists had raised concerns that oil could be leaking into the surrounding undersea bedrock.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10679973

HOLA442
HOLA443

This IS an attempt to save BP, not the oil well...............all that is required now is for a hurrcaine to blow up.........& drive on shore............

As it stands BP is dead, but the hurrcaine would make them worthless !

Mike

HOLA444

genuine question - why is this a doom scenario?

Because asits leaking outside the well blocking the well may not solve the problem / leak.

I'm sure someone mentioned this potential outcome on HPC earlier on. Their theory was it was an accident waiting to happen regardless of who was drilling the well.

HOLA445

genuine question - why is this a doom scenario?

i'm no expert but it has been suggested by matt simmons and others that such remote leaks would indicate that the well casing was compromised deep underground perhaps making it impossible to plug the well by any means. the response to this up until today from BP and official sources is that there is no evidence of such remote leaks, with the implication that simmons is a nutcase.

does that answer your question?

HOLA446
HOLA447

BBC just confirmed that it is methane seeping from an area near the well (ie not from the actual cap).

Haven't scientific experts suggested that massive explosions of methane from undersea in GOM have caused extinction level events in the past? I do hope it can wait until after my holidays.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Archived