House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
viva

Late Rent Payment ?

have recently for the only time in yrs of renting made a late rent payment due to reasons out of my control/doing..7 days late to be pracise! but have a nr perfect credit rating and dont want that to change etc for obtaining credit mortgage etc can a private landlord automatically notify the powers that be about this and it being recorded on my credit report or can he not do this for a 1 off ? or is he unlikely to do this anyway as he got his money days later ? bearing in mind that recently afterwards we are at loggerheads as well about other things..can he stitch me up with this to be vindictive in time afterwards ? cheers again guys

can a private landlord automatically notify the powers that be about this and it being recorded on my credit report or can he not do this for a 1 off ? or is he unlikely to do this anyway as he got his money days later ? bearing in mind that recently afterwards we are at loggerheads as well about other things..can he stitch me up with this to be vindictive in time afterwards ? cheers again guys

I don't know for certain but would have thought the landlord would have to prove it. Court and all that hassle for a CCJ, but I'm guessing.

Personally I wouldn't be worried and doubt a landlord being able to mark your credit file over one late payment.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_-eEVMfWe5E

have recently for the only time in yrs of renting made a late rent payment due to reasons out of my control/doing..7 days late to be pracise! but have a nr perfect credit rating and dont want that to change etc for obtaining credit mortgage etc can a private landlord automatically notify the powers that be about this and it being recorded on my credit report or can he not do this for a 1 off ? or is he unlikely to do this anyway as he got his money days later ? bearing in mind that recently afterwards we are at loggerheads as well about other things..can he stitch me up with this to be vindictive in time afterwards ? cheers again guys

There is no such thing as a 'credit report' of the nature you are thinking. FSA-registered financial institutions (which your landlord clearly is not) have access to the current status and recent history of your credit agreements with other FSA-registered financial institutions. Your rent payments are not a credit agreement, they are your obligations under a contract. The status of your rent payment will not ever be visible to financial institutions.

The only thing your landlord could do to affect your creditworthiness is to take you to small claims court after which, if you lose and do not pay right away, you would have a County Court Judgement against you. This would be visible to anyone who cares to look it up, I believe, including financial institutions (and future landlords). However, what cause has your landlord to take you to small claims court now that you have paid your rent? None, unless he thinks he can prove to a judge that a week's delay in payment caused him to experience a financial loss over and above the week's rent, which has now been made good.

Don't worry about it. Landlords have no power in terms of affecting your creditworthiness.