House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Bt To Raise Call Charges By 10%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10676934

Telecoms giant BT has said it will increase call charges by 10% and its monthly line rental by 50p from the beginning of October.

The majority of customers will be informed of the move by letter this week.

The cost of connecting a call will go up from 9.9 pence to 10.9p, while the daytime rate rises from 5.9p to 6.4p.

Customers who sign up to a year-long contract upfront will avoid the increased charges.

BT said it estimates the impact of the changes will be just 1p a day, because its average customer makes only 80 seconds of daytime calls each day, and more than half subscribe to inclusive packages.

It said "calling plans enable customers to avoid the set-up fee and charges for most calls altogether".

Cheaper rates

From October, BT customers will pay a landline rental charge of £13.29 a month, or £12.04 if they receive their bills by e-mail.

The price changes are part of a concerted move by the company to get customers to sign up to longer-term contracts and special bundled packages.

They are offering cheaper rates for those that do.

After 1 October, the standard cost of a landline will be £159.48 to those who pay the entire sum upfront, but for those who sign up before the end of October, the cost will be £113.88, which works out at £9.49 a month.

BT said it understood the price increases would not go down well with customers, but said it would be happy to discuss inclusive packages to reduce bills or different payment options, such as inclusive packages.

Still inflation is only running at around 3.5% so this is OK.

I wonder how many will simply ditch BT rather pay up or go into longer term contracts. Even if you sign up for 12 months I assume at the end of the 12 months your going to see your bill go up?

Looks like the management are hell bent on going for renationalisation, if they backfires the pension blackhole is going to get bigger.

I wonder how many will simply ditch BT rather pay up

I would love to but how do you get an internet connection without a BT line or Murdoch's TV package?

"The cost of connecting a call will go up from 9.9 pence to 10.9p, "

It's actually 15p

The cost is for connecting, but then they make you pay for a minutes worth of call on top.

Con artists the lot of them.

They really want to be able to charge people for having broadband even if it's not with them.

I would love to but how do you get an internet connection without a BT line or Murdoch's TV package?

Very easily. Plenty of people will offer you line rental other than BT

I've been using IDnet for a couple of years now. Exemplary service in every way.

They provide my line, calls and broadband. Their broadband isn't the cheapest, but I've never had better (and I've been with Zen previously)

www.idnet.co.uk

50p - wasnt that the cost of Liebours internet tax because all the re-located crusties who chose to live up in the Hebrides were whinging about not having high speed access and it being a human right or similar BS?

LLU

BT are on my 'list' of boycotted companies.

Mine too. In fact, they are also on my 'come the glorious day' death list. They make the top five but are lagging some way behind Ryanair, PC World and Abbey

Very easily. Plenty of people will offer you line rental other than BT

I've been using IDnet for a couple of years now. Exemplary service in every way.

They provide my line, calls and broadband. Their broadband isn't the cheapest, but I've never had better (and I've been with Zen previously)

www.idnet.co.uk

LLU

BT are on my 'list' of boycotted companies.

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into it. I just can't stand giving money to private monopolies.

Just cancelled my contract with BT last month, snotty nosed adviser tried to tell me what was good for me lol, sick of the cold calling and the one year contract change, now have moble £10 a month and mobile broadband £15 a month, not everyones cup of tea but it suits my needs.

Guest Noodle

Just cancelled my contract with BT last month, snotty nosed adviser tried to tell me what was good for me lol, sick of the cold calling and the one year contract change, now have moble £10 a month and mobile broadband £15 a month, not everyones cup of tea but it suits my needs.

That's the way to do it.

I hate BT with a passion, Just over a year ago I shut my office down and decided to work from home. Due to the fact I lived in a different area code I was given the two options:

Pay £600in charges to cancel three lines despite the fact id been with them for 5 years with an average bill of £500 a month. The reason for this was they used to call from india at least twice a month for a 'service review' and verbally accepted a contract renewal fro a member of my staff. £600 to cancel Internet even though I was happy to continue paying the £25 a month Internet until I needed the internet again (Already had it at home). But because I was canceling my fax number (the office was retenated) they claimed that was not possbile. Again the same as above aperently I had agreed to extend my contract verbally depite knowing I was closing my office.

Or to transfer the line £70 a month line transfer, £15 line rental on existing number. £15 on newline to be used for transfer. Plus pay for all incoming calls.

What did I do I went with Vonage who contacted BT and took over the number. Now cost £5.99 a month, Can take my line anywhere I have Internet. Free to call Landlines in UK 24/7 and can pick up my ansaphone messages via hotmail. Don pay for incoming calls. Average bil is now £40-50 a month

I had to battle for year to get my cancalletion fees refunded and BT is appalling to get to the right person. Your call and end up getting put though 5 times.

In the past ive had Personal and Business BT and I will never take any business out with then again. For a telecomunications company they take the biscuit andim afraid 'Its not good ot talk'!

Been toying with the idea of dumping BT for a while. I have a line with NTL but kept the BT line simply for convenience sake.

Looks like this is the push I needed. 10% increase, where do these muppets dream this up?

There was no phone line at the flat where I moved in so I use a mobile and Virgin (cable) internet.

Virgin appear to have a monopoly so don't expect it to be cheap (about £20 a month just for internet). If you have cable in your area and want to get rid of the phone line.. this could be an option.

At least BT don't have the crazy call charges you get with Virgin Media (old NTL). Some of their non geographical number rates are astronomical. I would switch back to BT if I had a line round here.

These people are only going to be able to keep charging like this until IP telephony picks up in the average home. I would be using it (well I use free skype), if I actually made a lot of phone calls.

Once again BT penalise BTL tenants on short term contracts. No wonder no one bothers with a fixed line anymore. I wouldn't have had fixed line put in, if I'd known the broadband would be so crap and worse than a 3G dongle. I get better internet speeds sitting in the local park. BT are USELESS!

Edited by SirStirlingSlumlord

Bt are dinasours, they will go the way of rumbellows etc, a service no body needs any more ( in town ) they rely on old people who dont have mobiles and dont realise how much cheaper for the average dude it is with a good 02 package etc. they will die soon and bt will be fecked.

Plus they are a sh1t company !

There's always mobile dongles too. Bit flaky for voice or anything else 'real time' but great for your usual surfing and you can use it anywhere with your laptop.

Try the Post Office. They provide phone lines for lower line rental and no contracts.

I am getting signed up with them this week - after BT were greedy gits demanding £129 to install a line that should never have been disconnected when I moved into this place. The PO are charging me £110 to connect but if you have a working BT line I dont think there would be any charge.

Their standard rental includes things like weekend and evening calls and I am particularly attracted to the lack of a long term contract.

I am assured by broadband providers that a PO line is as good as BT with regards providing the broadband but the PO also do their own.