House Price Crash Forum

Wales Faces 15 Years Of Jobs Misery Before Recovery Kicks In

HOLA441
HOLA442

can you give me a date in 2025 so i can be ahead of the curve buying up welsh assets at the pivot point(no prizes for spotting the oxymoron in that sentence)

HOLA443

You can factor in the Northwest, Liverpool is going to get hit hard............the bubble ecom covered the colaspe. Lots of manufactors shut & nothing much was said because "De boom was on an't it"...................now suddenly its gone & no jobs are about.

Just wait till peek oil hits!

Mike

HOLA444

Public Sector Cuts are really kicking in now - International Business Wales to be scrapped, Sustainable Development Commission probably to be scrapped, etc. This has only just started.

I agree with Plaid Cymru that we need much lower corporation tax, etc., than further down the M4 - Liverpool could do with sweeteners too.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA445
Before Recovery Kicks In

Pardon me for bursting out laughing on such a serious issue. 'Kicks in' ..... honestly?

I've just done some scrying of my own & here is a headline from the summer of 2025:-

Wales struggling to cope with the speed of the recovery.

"Too much too soon" said Mrs Jones of Treharris. "I don't think we want all these handouts. We've managed perfectly well walking five miles each way to the soup kitchen every day since the dole was scrapped ten years ago, so why go back to encouraging us to do nothin' except shaggin'? It's worse than pointless it is. I'll only get fat again"

HOLA446
Professor Malcolm Prowle of Nottingham Business School suggested the Assembly Government needed to become more business-friendly over the coming years.

He said: “There is a need to stimulate private sector jobs in Wales to take up the slack but this is difficult. For too long Wales has tried to replace large corporate public sector industries – coal, steel – with large corporate private sector industries like cars and electronics.

“Foreign direct investment has an important role to play, but the key to new jobs is increased rates of small business formation and increased entrepreneurship. WAG must be in a position to promote and assist small business formation with training, loans, advice etc without getting into a situation of subsidising non- viable businesses.

“However, WAG also needs to be seen to be more business friendly and to help get rid of a common perception among many in Wales that private business is something that is not really nice.”

There's the rub. I'm sure that some ultimately viable & productive businesses must benefit from grant money, but how can a state bureaucrat decide which they are, or if they really need the money to succeed?

Not particularly well IMO, judging by many of the success-story case studies here. Would be fascinating to hear about the failure-stores B)

HOLA447

There's the rub. I'm sure that some ultimately viable & productive businesses must benefit from grant money, but how can a state bureaucrat decide which they are, or if they really need the money to succeed?

If a company needs taxpayers' money to succeed then they probably shouldn't be funding it anyway, because it's clearly not viable.

Reminds me of government funding of movies a few years ago when some friends were trying to get funding; the government burrowcrats had lots of money to hand out but they were only giving it out to movies which were not financially viable, so because their movies were financially viable they couldn't get funding while someone making a piece of crap that no-one would ever want to watch could get a couple of million. The joy of government intervention.

Of course since their movies were financially viable they could at least go looking for real investors, but it was a lot harder than calling your mate Tarquin at the British Shitty Movies Board and getting taxpayer funding that day for 'Lesbian Single Mother With AIDS Goes To Somewhere Sunny Where We'll Have A Nice Holiday'.

HOLA448
HOLA449
The sooner the UK breaks up the better, then the celtic nations can quietly revert back to the stone age where they belong.
What a silly thing to say. The English population is genetically just as 'Celtic' (or Britonic) as the Scots or Welsh - except we're descended from the Celts who were either defeated by the Saxons or sided with the Saxons and thus allowed the near annihilation of Celtic culture in England.

After all, the Iceni of East Anglia, led by Queen Boudicca, who caused the Romans so much trouble a few hundred years before the Saxons came here, were a Celtic tribe. But what happened to them? Presumably they weren't all killed and they didn't all flee to Wales - they just gave in to the imposition of Saxon culture and became 'Saxons'.

As for going back to the stone age, the Celts, the Angles and the Saxons were all pretty barbaric - there wasn't much to choose between them.

Edited by blankster

HOLA4410

The sooner the UK breaks up the better, then the celtic nations can quietly revert back to the stone age where they belong.

... until it suits the Anglo-Saxons to dish out a bit of nation-building violence again, right?

HOLA4411

What a silly thing to say. The English population is genetically just as 'Celtic' (or Britonic) as the Scots or Welsh - except we're descended from the Celts who were either defeated by the Saxons or sided with the Saxons and thus allowed the near annihilation of Celtic culture in England.

After all, the Iceni of East Anglia, led by Queen Boudicca, who caused the Romans so much trouble a few hundred years before the Saxons came here, were a Celtic tribe. But what happened to them? Presumably they weren't all killed and they didn't all flee to Wales - they just gave in to the imposition of Saxon culture and became 'Saxons'.

As for going back to the stone age, the Celts, the Angles and the Saxons were all pretty barbaric - there wasn't much to choose between them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-396406/Were-Germans--1-600-years.html

I thought yous lot were all Germans!

"New research has found that the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain from the continent 1,600 years ago was so successful that native characteristics were virtually wiped out.

And as a result experts say this has left England with a population made up largely of Germanic genes and with a language that owes much to our Anglo-Saxon invaders.

The new study explains that the majority of original British genes were wiped out in favour of German ones through a system of apartheid set up by the invaders. This allowed the Anglo-Saxons to out-breed the Brits and our country became 'Germanised.'

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Those were the years of wandering tribes - there were climate and coastal changes taking place across the regions the Saxons, Angles et al migrated from, and there were other tribes moving up from the south and east, pushing the Saxons off lands they'd previously settled.

Take a trip to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friesland - Frisian is English's closest cousin...

still spoken in the Netherlands and Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Frisian_language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saterland_Frisian_language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Frisian_language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Frisian_Low_Saxon

Friesland is a nice place to visit too :-)

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4414

If the Saxons migrated here, who is living in Saxony?

I've read that our genetic makeup most resemble Friesland in Holland which is apparently why the English like Frie ups so much.

I think maybe you mean The Netherlands. Holland is just an area of the Netherlands much like Friesland.

Of course none of these exist.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419