House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Self Defense

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SQeMknVWuU0&hl=en_GB&fs=1?color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SQeMknVWuU0&hl=en_GB&fs=1?color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SQeMknVWuU0&hl=en_GB&fs=1?color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The above is what I get when I try to post an embed link to youtube.. :angry:

learn to fight like kirk.

Just use the html tags

paste your YT url

rather than messing with all that coding shit that I don't understand

Yes, I have a suggestion. Try spelling defence correctly.

Please realize I'm American.

Do the math!

Guest X-QUORK

Please realize I'm American.

Do the math!

I hadn't realised, you have my sympathy. ;)

Start with learning to recognise threats and then being in a position to avoid or deal with them. Fancy fighting moves don't often work in real life. you could learn to box for punching power and to develop a defence, thai boxing is also quite good for developing all off the bodies main weapons. For ground fighting judo is a good solid base to start from as are wrestling, ju-jitsu. Being confident on the ground will make you a better puncher because you lose the fear of being grabbed and dragged to the floor.

Geoff Thompson has probably the most effective honest system for self defence, watch this video and try to learn The Fence. It's worth watching all his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPDlVynxlQY&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI4-MM_u60I&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K-mrlYG7Y

Guest Skinty

Fancy fighting moves don't often work in real life

I have a theory about this. Their worth is not being able to use them in real life, but that if you learn enough of them they give you an instinctual understanding of body mechanics. You can't plan for every position of yourself or your assailant or situation in a fight and choose the optimum technique for that moment. But after a while you do start to learn how to combine muscle movement to increase your power for example. And if someone rigidly sticks to only the moves that they know then they are stopping themselves from adapting.

An instructor told me once how Danny Inosanto was giving a seminar and had someone pinned to a floor when someone piped up with the question, but what about if he does this particular movement. Danny's response was that further resistance could be treated with a slap using the hips! He then proceeded to show how you could get effectively smack someone with your bum in that position!

So my theory is that if you're really good you actually make up most of it as you go along because the principles of fighting have been drilled into you.

I have a theory about this. Their worth is not being able to use them in real life, but that if you learn enough of them they give you an instinctual understanding of body mechanics. You can't plan for every position of yourself or your assailant or situation in a fight and choose the optimum technique for that moment. But after a while you do start to learn how to combine muscle movement to increase your power for example. And if someone rigidly sticks to only the moves that they know then they are stopping themselves from adapting.

An instructor told me once how Danny Inosanto was giving a seminar and had someone pinned to a floor when someone piped up with the question, but what about if he does this particular movement. Danny's response was that further resistance could be treated with a slap using the hips! He then proceeded to show how you could get effectively smack someone with your bum in that position!

So my theory is that if you're really good you actually make up most of it as you go along because the principles of fighting have been drilled into you.

I agree that you are better prepared if you a physically fit and trained in a fighting discipline, but fighting in an artificial environment does not fully prepare you handle situations outside of that bubble, in many cases it can lead to over confidence and an unrealistic belief in your abilities. I've seen semi-pro boxers taken out by kicks to the nuts, because they are not trained to defend against them, take a boxers of his feet and he has lost his advantage.

Even for experienced martial artists a real life violent confrontation or pre-emptive attack is like being hit by a car, you often do not have time to react. Gym sparing, even in full contact competitions is an artificial environment, often one on one, it internalises rules of fighting and more crucially rules of engagement. People who kick-off every week are good at it, or more importantly they are good at picking their targets and their opportunity.

When your faced with a violent criminal, you have to remember it's their job and they are pretty good at it, they attack in numbers, from behind and when your not looking. They are not going to openly fight someone in a one on one fair fight, and if they do then as soon as you start getting the better of them you can expect their friends to jump in and stamp on your head. In most martial arts classes if you swear you get kicked out, this does not prepare you for real violent situations, the first contact you going to have with a violent criminal is when they come right up to your face swearing.

Most people studying martial arts spend years training all manner of attack and defense. And most of them spend not a single minute studying what happens just before a fight, and what one should be doing at that moment. And yet that moment frankly is the most important moment of a fight. If you wind up in a fight mentally unprepared, you are going to loose, no matter how much training you've got.

Although I generally agree that martial arts aren't that good in real-world situations, didn't someone post a video from the states of some karate type bloke kicking the sh1t out of some scummy pimp or something? Was well cool and slightly hilarious, as I recall.

"the first contact you going to have with a violent criminal is when they come right up to your face swearing."

Unless it's a severe clout to the back of the head.

When I was practicing criminal defence law in London ten years ago, no "mugging" was considered proper unless it started like that.

I agree wi Wario

stick the heid in them

as for martial arts the only 1 worth a toss

in a street fight is Judo

for people who want to disable their aggressor without violence

then a spray can of Ralgex in the eyes is better than pepper spray

and legal

was watching the Comedy show last night

and a comedian mentioned that Glasgow is the

murder capital of Europe and was voted the UKs friendliest city, in the same week

we might kick the sh1t oota u but we'll always gie u directions to the hospital afterwards

Guest X-QUORK

I agree wi Wario

stick the heid in them

as for martial arts the only 1 worth a toss

in a street fight is Judo

for people who want to disable their aggressor without violence

then a spray can of Ralgex in the eyes is better than pepper spray

and legal

was watching the Comedy show last night

and a comedian mentioned that Glasgow is the

murder capital of Europe and was voted the UKs friendliest city, in the same week

we might kick the sh1t oota u but we'll always gie u directions to the hospital afterwards

Do you write like that at work?

Guest X-QUORK

aye ,whits yer problem :D

Fair enough, just noticed it's not an uncommon thing for you Scottish guys to do.

Guest theboltonfury

I actually worry that if I hit somone in the face, I could kill them. I'm not Steven Seagal but you read about this sort of thing all the time. They fall over, bang their heads and die and you do 7 years.

I'm quite a big lad, 15st and a bit, 6ft and a bit, fit and lift heavy weights 5 times a week. I reckon if I hit someone, it would hurt. Maybe more, but I've never tried it.

And if any bloke hits you properly, and you're not expecting it, you can really do serious damage.

I am a runner, not a fighter. It's just not worth it.

The best self defense I ever saw was Mr Miyagi. He evades attack and pinched their nose, whilst making a honking noise.

An acquaintance of mine had a case where a semi-pro rugby league player was hit over the back of the head with a bottle as he was leaving a pub by a junkie. He turned round and punched the junkie once. The junkie went down, hit his head and died.

The rugby league chap was facing a murder rap and the poor old junkie was dead, there and then, in a second or two ..... nasty, very nasty

Guest Ian Chesterton

And with luck, they may be able to understand you when you give them the directions ;)

I have no proof of this but I reckon 2 things are important:

- getting in a surprise first shot. Only one chance at it. Make sure he deserves it because if he is hurt badly, you could go to jail.

- counter-attacking. One on one, if you are quick and nimble, you should be able to dodge anything thrown at you. With his defences wide open, go in for the kill. Let him make the first moves and open up his defences. I love counterpunching boxers, there are few of them left now.

Most of the striking styles are pretty dances, but not very effective. Those effective striking moves are not very different between styles. The biggest problem they have is distance. They all want you to be at a certain range, which your opponent does not know. Most pub attacks are very short range affairs since the furniture gets in the way. You must learn to grapple. A grappler will beat a striker every time in such an environment. Almost every street fight I have seen has had one or the other grasp his opponent. This suggests something like ju jitsu. I recall a karate guy going on about how judo was not a martial art to me (it is not, it is wrestling). However when it came to the test he could not beat my judo. He would get one swing, if lucky, at me before I closed on him and once I was inside gripping him he was on his back in seconds. What all marital arts will do, I have done several, is teach you about movement. You will be able to see where and how the guy is going to attack from his posture.

"the first contact you going to have with a violent criminal is when they come right up to your face swearing."

Unless it's a severe clout to the back of the head.

When I was practicing criminal defence law in London ten years ago, no "mugging" was considered proper unless it started like that.

Was :blink: that before you were banged up?

Guest theboltonfury

Most of the striking styles are pretty dances, but not very effective. Those effective striking moves are not very different between styles. The biggest problem they have is distance. They all want you to be at a certain range, which your opponent does not know. Most pub attacks are very short range affairs since the furniture gets in the way. You must learn to grapple. A grappler will beat a striker every time in such an environment. Almost every street fight I have seen has had one or the other grasp his opponent. This suggests something like ju jitsu. I recall a karate guy going on about how judo was not a martial art to me (it is not, it is wrestling). However when it came to the test he could not beat my judo. He would get one swing, if lucky, at me before I closed on him and once I was inside gripping him he was on his back in seconds. What all marital arts will do, I have done several, is teach you about movement. You will be able to see where and how the guy is going to attack from his posture.

Not when you've had enough pints to start a fight.