House Price Crash Forum

Self Defense

pl1

HOLA441

What's the best method or book or class you can attend to quickly get up to speed? I'm fairly fit, average strength but have not much clue about defending myself in the event of unprovoked attack or otherwise. Is it all to do with pressure points? Or am I missing the point?

edit: Let me add to this:

I don't want to learn self-defense so I can smash people about, I'd probably still rather a dent to the ego if someone began playing c0ck-of-the-walk with me (who gives a f*ck?), but if walking away or calming down doesn't work I'd like a safety net to fall back on. This happened recently and I rapidly realised I didn't have one. Basically I just want to know I'd be able to handle myself if it came down to it. And at the moment I don't. I don't think learning self-defense would be like fitting safety features in a car for me (i.e. the accidents don't decrease as drivers take more risk), I wouldn't go looking for trouble rather would know what to do in a last resort scenario.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

What's the best method or book or class you can attend to quickly get up to speed?

'Get Tough', the WW2 commando training manual. Lots of useful advice on how to kill a sentry with a pointy stick and knock Gestapo officers unconscious with a matchbox.

HOLA444
HOLA445

If it's martial arts you're thinking of, then whatever you learn will take a long time to be of much use in a fight. The moves must be practised over and over again in different situations until they become automatic, which takes years. There is no quick way to do it.

And even then, no martial art is a match for a gun, or even a knife, unless you're extremely skilled.

HOLA446
HOLA447

If it's martial arts you're thinking of, then whatever you learn will take a long time to be of much use in a fight. The moves must be practised over and over again in different situations until they become automatic, which takes years. There is no quick way to do it.

And even then, no martial art is a match for a gun, or even a knife, unless you're extremely skilled.

Don;t agree about it taking "years"; just start up on some Kung Fu or Karate classes. It will increase your confidence very rapidly and give you a few moves.

HOLA448

Did Karate for 3 years. Never really felt it added to my defence capability. Gave up in the end cos I was just too stiff to do all the moves.

Have been thinking about ju jitsui recently. I think this is more focussed on disarming attackers etc.

There is no substitute for a drop kick in the nuts. Knowing when to press the red button is what counts.

HOLA449

I also did Karate for about 3 years when I was younger, but was never dedicated/skilled enough to reach black belt level. It was great for general fitness and, I guess, gave a little confidence, but I don't think it would have been much help in a fight. I reckon you'd need to be at least brown or black belt for it to make much difference in most cases.

HOLA4410

I also did Karate for about 3 years when I was younger, but was never dedicated/skilled enough to reach black belt level. It was great for general fitness and, I guess, gave a little confidence, but I don't think it would have been much help in a fight. I reckon you'd need to be at least brown or black belt for it to make much difference in most cases.

Oh ffs.

Learn to punch from from the hip. That's all. It's not throwing a ball.

Get the first one in then sit back and smile.

If more than two in aggressor pack, then run. For quickest, see point 2. They will not all get to you at same time. First one will bugger off with a good hit.

Act weird if cornered. Cut yourself and say you have HIV.

HOLA4411

What about a system dedicated entirely to self-defense and not a sport with rules; like Krav Maga? Or is that too extreme? I guess if someone is pointing a gun at your head it isn't.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest Skinty

I agree, especially with something like Wing Tsun, but it also depends if you want to learn the art to fight for most occasions, in which case you'd be best learning many different arts.The OP can learn just one or two techniques and practise them enough to become second nature. For example, certain types of locks or even just boxing.

I personally find Thai boxing is a great way to get up to speed generally. It is very effective and will get you used to hitting things for real. It gives the person a lot of confidence. Seeing that you carry yourself with confidence may be enough to stop someone attacking. Only problem is that it is hard on the joints. Western boxing would be even simpler.

Failing that remember just one thing.

No one likes a biter.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Oh ffs.

If more than two in aggressor pack, then run. For quickest, see point 2. They will not all get to you at same time. First one will bugger off with a good hit.

Unless it's an extremely effective punch, that would be exactly the wrong thing to do. In my experience, street fights are normally preceded by the aggressors attempting to goad their victim into making the first move, just so they have a good excuse to beat the crap out of him and subsequently claim self-defence if they get nicked.

HOLA4417

Unless it's an extremely effective punch, that would be exactly the wrong thing to do. In my experience, street fights are normally preceded by the aggressors attempting to goad their victim into making the first move, just so they have a good excuse to beat the crap out of him and subsequently claim self-defence if they get nicked.

Which is why my afore-mentioned .45 automatic is so effective. All you need to do is wave it in some chav's face and he'll p1ss him self and run away.

HOLA4418
Guest Skinty

Oh ffs.

The only martial art I have a downer on is Karate, and quite a few people also come to the same conclusion. My Wing Tsun teacher spent 12 years learning it and later regretted it, saying that he might as well have learnt juggling.

High kicks are generally useless. The amount of black belts who have fallen on their **** on gravel when trying to kick someone's head. Why? Why kick up there? Punching from the hip doesn't protect your centre line or your face. Blocks are slow as you are required to react.

The biggest problem with Karate is that it requires to be done at mid- to long range. The range gets gobbled up within a split second and so practioners of Karate end up keeping their distance. Karate is no good once you're on the floor grappling or someone has clung onto you.

Karate also involves you practising to block punches from other people doing Karate. If your partner isn't punching properly the sensei comes along and tells him off. People never practise against the random street fighter.

As for your other advice about acting weird, it takes no account of the fact that you need experience and confidence to do such things without showing fear.

HOLA4419
Guest Skinty

And if it is an extremely effective punch then you're the one in legal trouble for killing or seriously damaging someone and starting the fight.

HOLA4420

I'm really doubtful of all these martial arts, especially for beginners.

What's your strongest limb? Your leg. How can you carry a metal weapon legally? Steel toe caps.

It's a no brainer. Kick fast and kick hard. For some reason people don't seem to expect a kick. They expect you to fight fair with your fists.

I laugh in the face of these people :P

HOLA4421
Guest Skinty

What about a system dedicated entirely to self-defense and not a sport with rules; like Krav Maga? Or is that too extreme? I guess if someone is pointing a gun at your head it isn't.

Heard good things about Krav Maga. I can also recommend Jeet Kune Do as the premise of it is to see what works for you and to discard what doesn't. There is no dogma with JKD. After all, some of us are tall, some are short, some are slim and flexible, others have a stocky build. It also combines the best of many different arts. After all, you don't know what the fight's going to consist of until it happens.

You have hit upon a good point about sport martial arts and real martial arts. Taekwondo can be sports oriented for example. Savate (French kick boxing) certainly is, I didn't enjoy that at all compared to Thai boxing. Kali is good, knife and stick fighting that can also be used open hand but I wouldn't recommend it for self defense as it's one of these arts where you have to be really good and really current with it. I'm struggling to remember any of it.

I gave up martial arts about eight years ago and can't remember any fancy moves. I still remember all my Thai boxing though. If I was going to learn just one martial art and become really good at it for the rest of my life even into old age then it would be Wing Tsun.

HOLA4422
Guest Skinty

I'm really doubtful of all these martial arts, especially for beginners.

What's your strongest limb? Your leg. How can you carry a metal weapon legally? Steel toe caps.

It's a no brainer. Kick fast and kick hard. For some reason people don't seem to expect a kick. They expect you to fight fair with your fists.

I laugh in the face of these people :P

@OP

Oh and if you do take up western boxing, don't fight Darkman as he will kick your front knee away which you put all your weight on when punching.

HOLA4423
Guest Steve Cook

What's the best method or book or class you can attend to quickly get up to speed? I'm fairly fit, average strength but have not much clue about defending myself in the event of unprovoked attack or otherwise. Is it all to do with pressure points? Or am I missing the point?

edit: Let me add to this:

I don't want to learn self-defense so I can smash people about, I'd probably still rather a dent to the ego if someone began playing c0ck-of-the-walk with me (who gives a f*ck?), but if walking away or calming down doesn't work I'd like a safety net to fall back on. This happened recently and I rapidly realised I didn't have one. Basically I just want to know I'd be able to handle myself if it came down to it. And at the moment I don't. I don't think learning self-defense would be like fitting safety features in a car for me (i.e. the accidents don't decrease as drivers take more risk), I wouldn't go looking for trouble rather would know what to do in a last resort scenario.

If in doubt, adopt the Steve Cook art of self defence

Run like f*ck

HOLA4424

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SQeMknVWuU0&hl=en_GB&fs=1?color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SQeMknVWuU0&hl=en_GB&fs=1?color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/SQeMknVWuU0&hl=en_GB&fs=1?color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The above is what I get when I try to post an embed link to youtube.. :angry:

learn to fight like kirk.

HOLA4425

Eh? Gaunny no dae that?

Seems like an awful amount of bother to go to, for something that's unlikely to ever happen to all youse nice student types.

Just learn to jump right up against them yelling "team ya bas!" as loud as you can, and sink the heid properly (there is a knack to it, or you'll end up banjoed in the nut and dizzy).

Quickly followed by bringing a knee up between the legs.

If you're of an artistic bent get yourself a wee malky, and gie them a nice smile.

Then, most importantly, run like fuck.* I mean bolt!

That may require actual training, and exercise and shite like that.

I'd pack in the rollies if I were you.

Or duct-tape a handgrenade to your forehead, and tie a string to the pin.

Being no longer as young and spry as I once was, you may hear me mincing down the mean streets of an evening in my favoured fashion.

med-armor2.png

* and there's Mr Cook ahead of the game as usual. Caught with my pants down while assembling this useful wallchart

Archived