House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

" Stocks Brace For Earnings Tsunami"

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/us-stocks-brace-for-earnings-tsunami-afp-d83ee9a2db0a.html?x=0

US stocks brace for earnings tsunami
18:58, Saturday 17 July 2010
After a rough start to earnings season, US stocks face a tidal wave of corporate results next week amid growing worries the US economic recovery is slowing.
Stocks fell off a cliff Friday after a sagging consumer confidence index and mixed earnings spooked investors.
"What was looking like a nice week turned into a huge sell-off," said Ryan Detrick, senior technical strategist at Schaeffer's Investment Research.
Detrick noted that the unfortunate combination of disappointing earnings and troublesome economic data "was all it took for the bears to take control."

If last week was the beginning of the Bear market with a vengeance, this coming week looks like it will be carnage.

But whenever we say that it turns out to be a bull run again.

Bullish news will be with us on the 23rd as the results of the stress tests are "officially" released--as if they need to be officially released as the good news has been leaking like an oil well in the Gulf of Mexico.

Quote:

Detrick noted that the unfortunate combination of disappointing earnings and troublesome economic data "was all it took for the bears to take control."

End quote.

Is that all it took then eh. Those darned bears, looking for a slither of an issue to drag the market back eh? It was only disapointing earnings and troublesome economic data (read losses and minimal growth combined with no end in sight for it all). Where do these realisists, *cough* I mean trouble makers, really get off.

sagging consumer confidence index

Interesting point on the news the other night. Consumer confidence is likely to contiue to sag amidst all the bad news. They won't spend. They won't save either - not attractive enough. The best yield is from paying down existing debt.

Consumers will not spend the economy out of trouble. It's ridiculous to think they would in this environment.

Guest theboltonfury

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/us-stocks-brace-for-earnings-tsunami-afp-d83ee9a2db0a.html?x=0

US stocks brace for earnings tsunami
18:58, Saturday 17 July 2010
After a rough start to earnings season, US stocks face a tidal wave of corporate results next week amid growing worries the US economic recovery is slowing.
Stocks fell off a cliff Friday after a sagging consumer confidence index and mixed earnings spooked investors.
"What was looking like a nice week turned into a huge sell-off," said Ryan Detrick, senior technical strategist at Schaeffer's Investment Research.

If last week was the beginning of the Bear market with a vengeance, this coming week looks like it will be carnage.

But whenever we say that it turns out to be a bull run again.

Bullish news will be with us on the 23rd as the results of the stress tests are "officially" released--as if they need to be officially released as the good news has been leaking like an oil well in the Gulf of Mexico.

Well you could be 294th time right in calling this.

:lol:

In Q2 10, the long-awaited recovery in the US labor

market should trigger Fed policy normalization concerns

and a corresponding equity market correction.

Well they clearly know what they're talking about! That's exactly what is driving the equity correction. A recovery in the US labour market leading to concerns of imminent Fed rate raising!

You would all be well-advised to listen to Barclays capital!

That's why I thought I'd post it. :lol:

Let's face it, the banks couldn't even spot a housing bust until it was too late - so why believe them re the short term moves in markets.

Ditto I have to say for anonymous posters on boards.

I've worked out that what will happen will be the opposite of what you have been programmed to think - and bet accordingly.

What business of yours is it what I've been programmed?

Get out of my head!

Not sure exactly how this would work....

The excess savings are the mirror of western borrowings. So naturally they take the form of credit to the west such as government bonds.

The Chinese surplus is them working in return for IOUs. They can't repudiate the IOUs in significant numbers and demand stocks for their work instead without removing the bottom from the treasury market, spiking interest rates, the dollar and dropping the Yuan. Not sure that would help stock prices much overall, what with the US consumer being the key to earnings.

Chinese wall of cash? Just doesn't sound right.

The whole point of this global imbalance to my eye is that the Chinese are working for free. If we believe that Western government debt is ultimately not going to be paid at par, then these "excess savings" are largely illusory. The moment they try to convert them into something solid they crash the vendor-financing system on which they were built.

Or maybe not...let me know.

Is that relevant?

China is a totalitarian regime, its goals are not comparable to those of Western democracies. They care about survival, and they can work to long time frames (well, a lot longer than the "next election" time frame that we are used to).

At the moment their main external threats (e.g. the USA) seem happy to dismantle their industrial complexes in return for cheap flat-screen TVs. Once the factories are torn down, the USA and their allies are no longer a threat.

Sounds to me like the Chinese leadership are getting a good deal; the magic money tokens floating around and owed to the Chinese are a side show :ph34r:

Edited by DeepLurker

Chinese working for free?

they dig stuff out of the ground, using wealth backed money, and THEY are the ones getting it wrong?

They are in fact in a Keynesian perfect world of surplus in a recession.

they can stimulate their own economy without borrowing more.

and look what happens, Keynesians......they build things nobody wants...Cities, plastic dog shit and exploding capacitors....thats what happens when you go to bankers for advice...."hey blankers, what show we splend on, cookieboy?"...."why lending of course, on fast rising assets of course, housing and real estate of course".

Its not the Chinese getting it wrong, its what they do with the correctly gotten gains...pissing it away in ponzi housing markets.

Interesting point on the news the other night. Consumer confidence is likely to contiue to sag amidst all the bad news. They won't spend. They won't save either - not attractive enough. The best yield is from paying down existing debt.

Consumers will not spend the economy out of trouble. It's ridiculous to think they would in this environment.

Yep paying down debt is the best return.

Although it just goes to show how screwed the system is that I doubt it can be paid down quickly enough to prevent a bust.

And the worlds govts decided to increase there own debts.