House Price Crash Forum

First against the wall.

http://www.thisismon...6&in_page_id=56

In practice, these unwanted rows of terraced houses have become privatised council estates. Tenants know the landlord lives hundreds of miles away, and feel no remorse about keeping the rent, or trashing the property. Our special report in this week's magazine, Confessions of a Slum Landlord, tells of horrific damage to properties, including one tenant who sawed out the hot water tank and sold it for scrap. Another property was boarded up by the RSPCA when the tenant absconded leaving behind a menagerie of reptiles.

:lol:

First against the wall.

In April 2008, the Labour government changed the law. Instead of paying housing benefit direct to landlords, councils pay it direct to the tenants every fortnight. The touchy-feely thinking behind this was to teach people on benefits the responsibility of managing their own financial affairs. Predictably, it has been an utter disaster.

Giving benefits claimants cash in the hope that they will pass it on to the landlord rather than spend it on feeding their families (or worse, feeding a drink or drugs habit) is futile. A recent survey by the charity Shelter found 65% of landlords to tenants on benefits have experienced rental arrears since the system was changed. Another survey from the British Property Federation, shows 55% of landlords will refuse to take tenants on housing benefit as a result.

Predictably, this is one cow with a very ugly mindset.

God forbid they might keep the money to feed their families rather than giving it to the 50% yearly return landlord.

"The true scandal of our broken housing benefits system is that most landlords are not even receiving the rent they're entitled to. Too often, the tenants fail to pass it on." Why?

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages-and-homes/buy-to-let/article.html?in_article_id=509346&in_page_id=56#ixzz0tyJyPlcB

The majority of landlords aren't getting any rent?

What planet is she on?

First against the wall.

"Its attempts to reform the system by reducing rents will just convince more landlords to abandon the sector for good." laugh.giflaugh.gif nice, I like it. The girl who wrote this article is an economic dummy on a grand scale, she is up to her paps in BTL and is going to go down with the rest of the suckers who thought it was a one way bet. Wee Georgie and his school of silver spoons bum chums don`t want the great unwashed to be landLORDS any more ohmy.gif , the next question is how do we get rid of Georgie`s parasitic landOWNING class?

5. As a landlord in South Yorkshire, I currently have in excess of 40 properties and the vast majority of my tenants are on housing benefits! Within the areas that I deal with I would struggle to let my properties if I did not accept tenants on benefits. Over the last couple of years I would guess that I have lost out on in excess of 20k-30k in lost rents!! This is due to housing benefits being paid direct to the tenant!! The system is a disgrace! That money is HOUSING benefit...ie money to pay for the tenants housing!! So pay it to the landlord! I can not get it direct to me unless the tenants are 8 weeks in arrears! By that time I am near on 1k down, and am I going to see that money back from the tenant??? I spend most of my life chasing tenants for money! This is not right! There are obviously the exceptions to this and some tenants pay their benefits without fail, but I should not be losing out on money that is there to pay for people living in my properties!! Things HAVE to change!

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages-and-homes/buy-to-let/article.html?in_article_id=509346&in_page_id=56#ixzz0tz0oaSfp

:lol::rolleyes:

What a c*ck.

Are they sure that the vile slimy slithering creatures weren't just the BTL landlords?

That's not nice. :(

Reptiles aren't at all vile or slimy.

"The rules need to be completely changed in favour of Landlords as we are the ones that stand to loose everything by trying to invest, save and support the local community"

Yes BTL LL's are a boon to society and we should all be more than willing to pay double rent to make sure they can continue to make money from their speculative behaviour.

In fact I would like some of them to come around and see my neighbour. She is is one of the few owner occupiers in the stairwell my rented flat is on, every time I see her she is despairing of the degradation and lack of care shown by all the tennants. Just a few years ago she tells me that everyone in the stair knew each other and all had a respect for the properties and other residents now there is a never ending cycle of people only here for relatively short times. BTL is damaging communities around the UK yet somehow these cretins think they are doing everyone a favour by pricing out FTB's who really would be investing and supporting the local communities....

Edited by lulu

... one of the few owner occupiers in the stairwell my rented flat is on, every time I see her she is despairing of the degradation and lack of care shown by all the tennants. Just a few years ago she tells me that everyone in the stair knew each other and all had a respect for the properties and other residents now there is a never ending cycle of people only here for relatively short times. BTL is damaging communities around the UK yet somehow these cretins think they are doing everyone a favour ...

Aye you're not wrong there.

Tell me about it. Do you mind the wee wooden board on a string that you'd hang over the neebur's doorhandle when it was their turn to do the stair?

Not a scooby, most of them now.

We've even had jakies move into the lobby and start fires in the winter for warmth, because the wee torags jam the main door open so their mates don't wake them coming back from the pub.

And this isn't Muirhouse, by the way. Up by the Links.

Most folk we knew have either died, or fled to Stenhouse :o and the like. For peace!

No doubt there'll be a massive Common Repair slapped on us by the Council at some future date, because they've (the BTLers) let the place go hang.

Like the Penny Tenements all over again.

According to a recent poll undertaken by flat and house share website spareroom.co.uk, 41% of landlords say the rent their tenants pay is barely enough to pay the mortgages on the property they're renting.

A total of 43% have also admitted that should the interest rate rise by 2% then the rent they receive will no longer cover the mortgage.

This one never fails to make my blood pressure soar.

Most small scale BTL landlords will tell you that their property portfolio is 'their pension'. Well I have a pension; it costs me over £300 per month.

What kind of perverse logic or arrogance makes a landlord think that they should not have to contribute to their own pension? Of course the mortgage payments should be greater than the rent coming in - that is the natural order of things!

Personally, I would like to see rents controlled by the government like they used to be - and still are in other countries such as Germany. It would inevitably result in a flood of properties coming onto the market for first-time buyers, and the bankruptcy of many landlords.

Both good things!

Edited by Mr Yogi

I have a pension; it costs me over £300 per month.

What kind of perverse logic or arrogance makes a landlord think that they should not have to contribute to their own pension? Of course the mortgage payments should be greater than the rent coming in - that is the natural order of things!

99% of the people we asked couldn't tell the difference between an investment and the dream of forking out £10k for a 2000-3000% real return in 25 years.

Edited by Dorkins

"but I should not be losing out on money that is there to pay for people living in my properties!! Things HAVE to change!"

Yes, and change they will you parasitic system sucking c*unt.

Its not logical..it never was.

the house price is based on what disposable is available to pay the mortgage.

the renter has a choice..usually...to rent or to buy.

in a free market, both landlord and renter would be able to compete for the same property, ie, the amount of mortgage each could raise.

If the tenant could afford £500 per month for a mortgage, then its not logical to assume he could afford £600 on a rent.

the Landlord assumes he can.

Oh, but the landlord has all those other costs the tenant is avoiding by renting....but wait a mo....the landlord, if he is to make ends meet, must therefore charge the tenant with those costs anyway..

no...the ONLY reason BTL was a goer was that BANKS lent money at PRETAX incomes to LLs, and POSTTAX incomes for OOs.

This sucks revenue from the treasury which is needed to subsidise priced out OOs when they default.

The whole BTL with a huge loan is dead in the water from a logical view, a tax view and a social view.

Claer_203x150.jpg

Her eyes are remarkably wide apart.

Really not someone to be trusted.

Don't trust those with eyes close together. Those with eyes wide apart are probably just inbred.

"but I should not be losing out on money that is there to pay for people living in my properties!! Things HAVE to change!"

Yes, and change they will you parasitic system sucking c*unt.

+1 (with * removed)

From what i have heard from friends over the years, the only sentence that some landlords seem to listen to is

"If you dont fix that leak/mouldly patch/ etc, i am going to withhold my rent"

When the housing benefit is going direct to the landlord, the tenant no longer has this option available and may find no repairs are carried out -ever.

To add to the problems caused by housing benefit, there is also often delays in getting it once applied for, it can take a considerable amount of time to receive it due to the delays from the DSS.

To further add to the problems of housing benefit, if you are on jsa, they can kick you off for arbritrary reasons and suddenly you find you have a week or two "gap" in your claim, which in turn will mean a week or two where no housing benefit will be paid.

As an anecdotal, when i needed to apply for it once (2002) it took five months from initial claim to payment, i was working at the time but needed it to top up my rent as we had a one year old child and my wife was not working.

I can tell you my rent was paid in full and on time, but it was not easy, working full time, having a young child in the house and living for a month on what a "jobseeker" gets a week,