House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

A Small Update

I was supposed to have started the chippy yesterday....

Short version: it fell through. bigger offer was taken...even though contracts were signed .....how can they do this???????

nearly double mine on rental... something I could not match.

My question is this, I did a fair bit of refurb (plastering and rebuilding walls) as well as my legal fees and the flight cost of my dad coming here to help me out, it all adds up to a fairly hefty chunk of change...

I'm generally not into suing people but any idea how I can get some of the money spent on this back?

And btw yes I do know where the bodies are buried...

Thanks

Guest Noodle

Short version: it fell through. bigger offer was taken...even though contracts were signed .....how can they do this???????

My question is this, I did a fair bit of refurb (plastering and rebuilding walls) as well as my legal fees and the flight cost of my dad coming here to help me out, it all adds up to a fairly hefty chunk of change...

I'm generally not into suing people but any idea how I can get some of the money spent on this back?

Thanks

Geezus Ken. :(

cyan%5B1%5D.gif

Take pictures of everything you have done, receipts of flights, tot up how much out of pocket you are, and get down to a lawyer.

cyan%5B1%5D.gif

Take pictures of everything you have done, receipts of flights, tot up how much out of pocket you are, and get down to a lawyer.

Or Citizens Advice? That's free. Although they might just say go to a lawyer. What's the point of having contracts, if people can do this? Sounds like you might have a case.

Sorry to hear that you had the dirty played on you. Of course you can sue them. The fact that they allowed you to start carrying out repairs to the premises gives you a very strong case. The downside is recourse to law takes time and money and there is no absolute certainty of recompense even if you win.

Aw jeez no mate, not again?

You have the worst luck.

Torch it, Ken.

(well not if it was a real chippy, obviously <_< )

Guest theboltonfury

Thanks

Sorry to hear that Ken.

Really sorry Ken.

From what you've described, it appears you would have a legal case to pursue. However, not that I'm advising against it, but the whole process is so bloody time-consuming and a complete brain ache.

I suppose the hindsight view is that you doing the work has made it easier for someone else for someone else to jump in. How was your relationship with the previous owners/sellers?

You'll either sort it out or move on like you always seem to do. I wish I owned a company - I would hire you tomorrow - sight unseen. You are one of the most interesting, industrious and resiliant posters on here.

Best of luck. Keep us in the loop.

(well not if it was a real chippy, obviously <_< )

You can see the address Bolton Road Radcliffe in the initial contract letter from solicitor you can see the shop called Chongs on googlemaps street view 468 (m26 3gg). It did exist and I have copy contracts to prove it as well as a stack of paperwork to rubbish your suggestion I was lying about it all along.

You can see it here on street view

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=m26+3gg&sll=52.482961,-1.893592&sspn=0.387219,0.883026&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Manchester+M26+3GG,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.563732,-2.349572&spn=0.00295,0.006899&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.563865,-2.350434&panoid=-1zNqCiR-crqRkGLC7jjTw&cbp=12,101.05,,0,5

What sort of contracts? were they property purchase or business contracts.

If you are committing, and its going to cost you, ALWAYS get a letter of intent with penalties....this too is a contract.

Guest Noodle

Hopefully 6538 will be along shortly to help.

Would recommend Ken that you PM him.

You can see the address Bolton Road Radcliffe

Fair do's, Ken.

I apologise for being an ****.

Were you cursed by gypsies when you were a baby or something?

You can see the address Bolton Road Radcliffe in the initial contract letter from solicitor you can see the shop called Chongs on googlemaps street view 468 (m26 3gg). It did exist and I have copy contracts to prove it as well as a stack of paperwork to rubbish your suggestion I was lying about it all along.

You can see it here on street view

http://maps.google.c...g&sll=52.482961,-1.893592&sspn=0.387219,0.883026&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Manchester+M26+3GG,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.563732,-2.349572&spn=0.00295,0.006899&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.563865,-2.350434&panoid=-1zNqCiR-crqRkGLC7jjTw&cbp=12,101.05,,0,5

Wario was joking.

That letter you posted is not a contract.

AFAIK, property leasing has no effect until the lease is signed and the premium paid.

See a lawyer ASAP. keep it all at arms length, ie, not personal, otherwise this disappointment will consume all your energy.

Wario was joking.

That letter you posted is not a contract.

AFAIK, property leasing has no effect until the lease is signed and the premium paid.

See a lawyer ASAP. keep it all at arms length, ie, not personal, otherwise this disappointment will consume all your energy.

I know its not a contract, the 12 odd pages stapled with sign here stickers ARE the contract. as per the side of my desk

I know its not a contract, the 12 odd pages stapled with sign here stickers ARE the contract. as per the side of my desk

excellent...is it signed by both parties?

Wario was joking.

Well you're a gent for saying so ...

... but I bloody well wasn't.

Flippin' heck, Ken, is your real name Jonah?

You're a one-man vortex of misfortune. How come you're still alive?

Well you're a gent for saying so ...

... but I bloody well wasn't.

Flippin' heck, Ken, is your real name Jonah?

You're a one-man vortex of misfortune. How come you're still alive?

I thought you were being ironic about scrapping a Real Chippy.....sorry.

If it was a two year lease contract best to read the small print and see if landlord had any handy get clauses in there.

Assuming the contract is sound I would be of the view that you have a strong case to sue for your costs and also something for lost income. Had you not been stitched on this deal you could of spent your time more productively elsewhere.

Possibly the threat of legal action will be sufficient for them to make a quick settlement. Out of interest what was the rent you agreed to pay? It would be ironic if the increased rent they sought is completely eaten up by legal and court costs :lol:

Ken I'm so sorry to hear this bad news - don't have anything legal and useful to offer, but sympathize and hope you get some help and recompense soon. Good luck. :(

I'm going out for a ride...

too stressed over this...

good idea. take it out on yourself now....dont die doing it though.

Then get even.

but please, dont let it consume you....its a mistake Ive made before and the only loser was me.

Thanks

Play dirty. Say you will spill the beans unless they pay up within 2 weeks. Send them only photocopies of the bills/receipts by recorded delivery. Good luck.