House Price Crash Forum
Guest growl

Leisure Business Starting To Feel The Strain

Guest growl

Just heard on the news(BBC 24) how leisure business (gyms and swimming pools) are beginning to feel the strain of high gas prices. They need the gas not just to heat their buildngs, but to heat the water in the pools, shower rooms etc.

Now I went into my local gym recently at a time of day when it is normally quite full. I've started to notice how empty it was. This isn't because people are on holiday and it was not because it was a sunny day. In fact it was raining.

So although this post may not be directly about house prices. It is about the state of the economy which indirectly effects houseprices. My local leisure complex employs quite a lot of people. From personal trainers to bar workers to cleaners to pool attendants.

So I'm thinking. Going to a gym is an extra expense and it is one of the first things that come of the list of what to spend money on. Coupled with that the high price of oil and ultimately gas.

It is business like this that will fall first.

yup.these guys,along with restaurants and nightclubs will suffer as the pub-lunch becomes a round of sarnies.and staying-in becomes the new going-out.

these industries employ A LOT of people,mostly on crap wages but that's beside the point.WHEN they get fired that air of desperation will filter through to existing staff who are retained.

but more importantly to spouses/co-habitants of the redundant party.

as soon as that happens,spending will fall off a cliff.

i think the hardcore users are still about. i saw some crowded 5 a sides today and also booking a badminton court is a hassle still. though i reckon those treadmill monkeys have called it a shapley day,. perhaps those kind of users have gone. no staying power. power and endurance. go for it. give it your best shot. aim high. reach for your dreams......then die.

I recall a builder I had bought a house of saying something during the last housing market correction [yes then I knew bugger all about "Market Timing" in those days]

We were discussing the closure of a nearby Private Allergy Clinic. He said, its funny but have you ever notice how during recessions people forget they have allergies, well to the point where they feel the need to spend money on them. :rolleyes: