House Price Crash Forum

Workplace Shambles

HOLA441

Having worked in Office and Corporate environments for a while now, one constant feature I have seen is that below the surface they are generally a shambles with lots of people trying to do their jobs with their hands tied behind their backs and people who just can't or won't do their jobs fully. I don't know if its just me - but I spend a day at work and its just painful watching all these people trying to bluff their way through or just pretend that their doing the job. We all make mistakes and do things wrong at times - but there seems to be so many people out their who just can't do their job properly or they will focus on one aspect and leave the bits they don't like- then this has knock on effect on everyone else. What ever happened to just going out there and just being good at what you do, instead of being dragged down by others.

For example management that won't manage anything - try to delegate everything

clients interfering - and not answering queries and holding things back

People dumped at their desks with no management, mentoring, instructions, decent procedures

Poor Tools and Systems

Poor Handovers and high turnover

Poor Quality information at meetings, vague answers

People clinging to information and not sharing - again could be dealt with effective management

Ok then - whats they way to handle it - do you document everything your boss won't make decisions on, do you complain when the quality of information you receive is poor, do you complain about poor quality management, when something that effects your job is inputted by someone else who whatever reason won't input - do you tell their boss.

Anyone else been the experience of having piggy in the middle type corporate jobs - where you no real authority to force people to do the job properly, but your still expected to deliver the goods.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest theboltonfury

Most jobs/offices are like this. It's why working life is such a waste of time.

All offices have the same mix of idiots, triers, egos, fools, etc etc.

Yet people seem to genuinely love the soap opera of their offices. Some talk about little else.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Having worked in Office and Corporate environments for a while now, one constant feature I have seen is that below the surface they are generally a shambles with lots of people trying to do their jobs with their hands tied behind their backs and people who just can't or won't do their jobs fully. I don't know if its just me - but I spend a day at work and its just painful watching all these people trying to bluff their way through or just pretend that their doing the job. We all make mistakes and do things wrong at times - but there seems to be so many people out their who just can't do their job properly or they will focus on one aspect and leave the bits they don't like- then this has knock on effect on everyone else. What ever happened to just going out there and just being good at what you do, instead of being dragged down by others.

People dumped at their desks with no management, mentoring, instructions, decent procedures

Poor Tools and Systems

People clinging to information and not sharing - again could be dealt with effective management

Ok then - whats they way to handle it - do you document everything your boss won't make decisions on, do you complain when the quality of information you receive is poor, do you complain about poor quality management, when something that effects your job is inputted by someone else who whatever reason won't input - do you tell their boss.

Anyone else been the experience of having piggy in the middle type corporate jobs - where you no real authority to force people to do the job properly, but your still expected to deliver the goods.

Either leave and do something you enjoy. Or suck it up bit do it temporary/contract. At least you know you will be out of the place and onto the next disaster zone in 6-12 months.

Keeps me going. I could not work in the places I do permanent.

HOLA446
Guest Noodle

Poor Tools and Systems

A gravy train then. I've witnessed it, but worked in it briefly (as in count the days on one hand).

Go do something else. What do you do now?

HOLA447

Oh, office politics.......love the way management create wounderful tasks to do, (makes them feel useful and productive) then after many wasted man-hours omit to ask what the results were, not required after all, something better was thought of...in other words lots of wasted time and wasted money had by all :lol:

If in doubt....chuck it out. ;)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Sounds like you've reached the put up or shut up stage.

Large businesses are like oil tankers. The inertia to change is horrendous. You can't change it all at once. You can only do small bits at a time. You have to tread carefully and make sure you don't piss in anyones pool while you are affecting your changes. So it's pretty much slime time.

If this isn't for you (and it sounds like it isn't otherwise you wouldn't have written the thread in the first place) then you have the option of going alone and doing it better yourself. If, of course, you have the bottle and the skills to do everything by yourself.

Otherwise of course you can meekly resign yourself to the status quo. After all, it's only work, isn't it ?

HOLA4413

Poor Tools and Systems

Sounds like a paradise caused by poor recruitment practices. Normally, this is done by managers not taking on the best candidate for the job, but the candidate that knows less than they do, to help them feel superior. They do this to avoid the danger of being caught out and exposed as ignorant and dangerous.

They made a mistake when they took you on, obviously.

HOLA4414

Never worked in an office, always independent. OP sounds like hell.

I do have to rely on incompetents in offices, but that means I get to ring them up with a list of their mistakes before I do the job - if they don't sort it, that's their problem and I get paid.

HOLA4415
Guest theboltonfury

Sounds like a paradise caused by poor recruitment practices. Normally, this is done by managers not taking on the best candidate for the job, but the candidate that knows less than they do, to help them feel superior. They do this to avoid the danger of being caught out and exposed as ignorant and dangerous.

They made a mistake when they took you on, obviously.

I think for the most part, managers rely on the collective incompetence of HR departments when recruiting these days.

Poor managers + moronic HR = offices full of people that would make Rooney look like a Nobel winner.

HOLA4416

I think for the most part, managers rely on the collective incompetence of HR departments when recruiting these days.

Poor managers + moronic HR = offices full of people that would make Rooney look like a Nobel winner.

Sadly, you're right. I am one of the VERY few intelligent HR people.:(

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest theboltonfury

I don't doubt that. There are some stinkers though. Hitlers in high heels who given law changes, I concede, do literally run companies, I'm sure much to the annoyance of the owner. A good'un can save a massive legal pay out by stepping in to stop a maverick manger doing something outlandinshly illegal and they must be worth their weight in gold, but sadly, it seemed to me in my coroprate life, that they generally love the feeling of power and involvement, but have very little idea what they are actually doing - so they end up organising Secret Santa and the Tombola instead.

Is it possible for an HR person to write an email without using the word 'appropriate'?

In HR school are they taught to use it in all correspondence?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest theboltonfury

bra-style-CORSET.jpg

there ain't too many of them in HR departments. Unless of course it's a ladyboy, then there a few contenders that I can remember.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

A gravy train then. I've witnessed it, but worked in it briefly (as in count the days on one hand).

Go do something else. What do you do now?

,Project coordination and planning - Do something like what? Seems tricky enough to get another job in the field your in - and the first question you get asked is why are you leaving - and you don't want to turn around and say oh well I was surrounded by complete idiots, crap management, inadequte procedures, tools - as you may very well be going into a similar situation - and of course the employer won't tell you the mess they are in.

Maybe the answer is get something part time, and see if it can develop into something full time, or take a step down, and try something completely different - and get some tangible skills.

I just sometimes cringe when I hear Graduate types - all excited life in corporate jobs - I just wonder will they still be saying that in 10 yrs time

HOLA4423
Guest Noodle

,Project coordination and planning - Do something like what? Seems tricky enough to get another job in the field your in - and the first question you get asked is why are you leaving - and you don't want to turn around and say oh well I was surrounded by complete idiots, crap management, inadequte procedures, tools - as you may very well be going into a similar situation - and of course the employer won't tell you the mess they are in.

Maybe the answer is get something part time, and see if it can develop into something full time, or take a step down, and try something completely different - and get some tangible skills.

I just sometimes cringe when I hear Graduate types - all excited life in corporate jobs - I just wonder will they still be saying that in 10 yrs time

Agree that this idea of doing something else is crazy in this economy.

Is this IT or construction or knitting or what?

Can you reinvent yourself so your not office based?

Can you become self-employed, do it on a day rate* as and when (from what I remember you're not skint)?

Can you do it from home?

*Invoice monthly but have a 14 day payment stipulation in this climate, don't give 90 or even 30 day credit.

HOLA4424

There seem to be some bright people on here, and my "M" key has come off somehow! :blink:

HOLA4425

Archived