House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Bbc Licence Fee To Be Cut As The Are Guilty Of

Can't imagine what they are thinking of? I mean what's wrong with claiming massive wage inflation to justify continually increasing your own staffing and pay when most of the competition is going bust, creating hundreds more new non jobs for Guardian readers year on year and wasting millions on your own pet projects with little public/ commercial interest? And let's not start on an expenses system that would make an MP blush.

One of the few joys of the next few years will be seeing the overpaid, troughing, social engineering, politically biased manipulators at the BBC suffer......................I am sure they will be sitting in Common Purpose workshops with their pals in Liebour all Summer thinking of ways to undermine the Coalition before this happens.

If you get thrown on the dole, Govt steal back nearly three weeks money off you, per annum, to pay for multi-millionaire 'star' salaries!

The BBC should be able to pay whatever they want. As long as they are funded without menace, like SKY and other competitors.

Abolish the license fee.

For once I have to agree with Storm. Free them to make money from subscription fees, advertising or whatever and remove the license fee over a five year period.

For once I have to agree with Storm. Free them to make money from subscription fees, advertising or whatever and remove the license fee over a five year period.

You'd rather pay for it via advertising? Considering the products you buy is that really cheaper?

I can't stand adverts it ruins the flow of TV shows.

I wouldn't be so sure. Don't like the sound of"Project Canvas" they were wittering about (aka 'justifying') on the radio the other day.

We've always known they've been gagging to nab all the computers in the country since .. forever. Apart from digging out the Commodore PET and a cassette recorder, I can't see how I could dodge them extending the Licence Fee to my (tellyless, not even online, can't bloody abide it) drum.

After all, there's a perpetual need to provide hopelessly overmanned sheltered employment to all those trust-fund kids and the dimmer scions of the metropolitan bourgeoisie.

Cut the fee with one hand. Extend the net with the other. Trebles all round!!

I've noticed they don't do anything by half, always the most expensive equipment, highest salaries. I remember when flat panel TVs first came out they set up a whole room full of them (about 50 of them) for "effect", this was when they were a few thousand pounds each, and it looked crap.

I'd like them to do away with everything except one basic channel and a couple of radio channels for government information and news, make the rest of them pay as you watch and put the annual license down to £30 per year.

You'd rather pay for it via advertising? Considering the products you buy is that really cheaper?

The whole concept of adverts is flawed. They are just annoying distractions, most of my family either mute them or record everything on a pvr and whiz past them. I personally have not seen one for 10 months now. I still buy all the same products I always did. Did anyone ever buy something cus of an advert? Did the Phil Collins chimp make anyone buy chocolate?

The BBC should be able to pay whatever they want. As long as they are funded without menace, like SKY and other competitors.

Abolish the license fee.

Lower the licence fee and set them a more appropriate target. They don't need to compete with the commercial channels, and they don't need to have 24hr programming on X number of channels. What was wrong with the old system? Two channels, a few radio stations, and BBC2 off air for most of the day. Above all, stop producing and showing populist crap - do the stuff that a commercial channel can't afford to do FFS. It's not rocket science.

The whole concept of adverts is flawed. They are just annoying distractions, most of my family either mute them or record everything on a pvr and whiz past them. I personally have not seen one for 10 months now. I still buy all the same products I always did. Did anyone ever buy something cus of an advert? Did the Phil Collins chimp make anyone buy chocolate?

It made my buy a Phil Collins album. Probably not the outcome they were aiming for.

Did the Phil Collins chimp make anyone buy chocolate?

No, but I bought a gorilla, a drumkit and the single off ITunes...*

* the last one is true

But watch them or not you are still paying for them everytime you buy one of the products or services that has been advertised.

I would hazard a guess that the combined advertising budgets of everything punted to us is alot more per person than the cost of the licence fee.

Personally speaking I would half the licence fee and let the BBC sort themselves out ensuring they maintain their commitments to local services (BBC local radio is usually pretty good) but the management salaries and those of all the 'talent' should be cut and cut heavily. Seriously, if a BBC News 24 presenter (on a channel few watch) gets £92K what do the rest of them get....

I personally would be prepared to pay a subscription that gave me access to everything on iPlayer wherever I happened to be in the world but I don't see why they can't also have a free to air broadcast service funded by advertising. It seems to me that, in the age of broadband communications, there's all sorts of different ways the BBC could make money if they put their minds to it.

But watch them or not you are still paying for them everytime you buy one of the products or services that has been advertised.

I would hazard a guess that the combined advertising budgets of everything punted to us is alot more per person than the cost of the licence fee.

I suppose advertisers dont pay for adverts for fun. There must be stats that show you show an advert people buy the product. The question you need to ask, is if bbc started showing adverts as well as other channels would you get more sales or the same sales? As people just see the advert in multiple places.

At this point advertisers would need to decide do they split their advertising or double it.

Given that people can now choose to easily avoid adverts and more people have less money so are turning to unmarketed brands I would predict the number of adverts to drop.

Unfortunately television and TV advertising has a terrifying ability to penetrate the depths of your psyche at a much deeper level than conscious thought.

Half of what you see is designed to build brand recognition through repetition of simple messages and motifs in carefully calculated intervals targeted around specific programming. This is so should you ever need a product, or learn about a class of product from a friend, your subconscious mind is already aware of the possible choices for consideration. This is said to take upwards of 27 contacts between advertiser and consumer drone.

The other half of what you see is a more tactical message, delivered in short bursts around a specific programme at a specific time. This is time for the harder sell after a long branding campaign, where a viewer is induced to take advantage of a limited time offer. It's scarily effective.

After only a short time working in marketing I knew I had to get rid of the TV. I can't emphasize this enough: it's toxic and you should throw it in the nearest skip! At home we now have a large widescreen monitor hooked up to a mini PC that does everything we need, ad free. Unfortunately product placement has become far more sophisticated in recent years, as broadcasters scrape around for cash. Whole plotlines are bought and paid for in major shows, and entire productions are often funded by advertisers.

No escape really, if you enjoy watching the odd bit of telly.

After only a short time working in marketing I knew I had to get rid of the TV. I can't emphasize this enough: it's toxic and you should throw it in the nearest skip! At home we now have a large widescreen monitor hooked up to a mini PC that does everything we need, ad free.

100% agree

I ditched my Freeview box about a year ago and it has to be one of the best things I've done. I used to use iPlayer and Seesaw a fair bit, but don't even bother with those now. Quite happy with the internet, radio, books and the odd DVD.

When I go to friends' houses I'm amazed how intrusive and banal TV seems now. So, so glad I got rid…

Who watches adverts anymore, use a PVR.

I make a cup of tea for ten/fifteen minutes at the start of the programme which I have paused. I then watch the progamme when the ads come on it is 8/9 seconds at 32 speed to skip them. If you watch anything on 4 on demand they strip the adverts.

I have heard that there are new PVRs coming that automatically strip out adverts.

I suppose advertisers dont pay for adverts for fun. There must be stats that show you show an advert people buy the product. The question you need to ask, is if bbc started showing adverts as well as other channels would you get more sales or the same sales? As people just see the advert in multiple places.

At this point advertisers would need to decide do they split their advertising or double it.

Given that people can now choose to easily avoid adverts and more people have less money so are turning to unmarketed brands I would predict the number of adverts to drop.

I hope you are right and I hope that a number of channels finally hit the wall. I have Freeview and it is not impossible to flick your way up the channels and see adverts on almost every channel. I pretty much only watch BBC stuff now and if anything else record them as you mentioned and skip through the adverts.

The sports deals need to be looked at. BBC has pumped hundreds of millions into securing rights, sometimes when there was not even a competing bidder.

The 6 nations is a case in point. In 2002 or 2005, can't remember which, BSkyB pulled out of the bidding leaving the BBC as the sole bidder. The 6 nations committee had been hoping for £90m. As understand it they pretty much got that from the BBC despite no other bidders interested. Quite simply the BBC could have named a price. Well I suppose they did, the one that the 6 nations committee wanted. <_<

A scandalous waste of our money when the market had already decided that the rights did not have the market value that the 6 nations committee thought they had. The old boys network in action, what.

Yeah - party's over for the BBC - back to basics they must go. Quite disgraceful how they have been allowed to dominate on the interweb - the BBC website alone shows they have more money than they know what to do with. Don't get me started on the sports - how many people did they have at the World Cup?

Yeah - party's over for the BBC - back to basics they must go. Quite disgraceful how they have been allowed to dominate on the interweb - the BBC website alone shows they have more money than they know what to do with. Don't get me started on the sports - how many people did they have at the World Cup?

Its pay back for the 12 years the BBC has supported labour.

Do not pay it...its very easy not too...find the forums and follow...i detest having a threat of jail to pay for it...