House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HPCbeliever

My Rights As A Tenant

My landlord is building on the plot of land (that used to be my garden) next to me. The disturbance has not been too terrible until yesterday a scaffolder wanted to put scaffolding all across my windows. This has been scaled back but i will still have scaffolding next to my windows and also part of the roof removed. The landlord never told us about any of this. I would be glad to move out but have a 6 month contract until December (which I can give 30 days notice on). Thus I have the ability to leave but he has no right to evict me. I don't see, however, why I should move out with no compensation when he is disturbing my right to peaceful enjoyment. klegally I have the right to stop the work. What would be fair compensation? I thought he should pay for the extra costs of me moving i.e. the cleaning of the house and return ofg rent if I move out before my notice is cleared. What are your views?

My landlord is building on the plot of land (that used to be my garden) next to me. The disturbance has not been too terrible until yesterday a scaffolder wanted to put scaffolding all across my windows. This has been scaled back but i will still have scaffolding next to my windows and also part of the roof removed. The landlord never told us about any of this. I would be glad to move out but have a 6 month contract until December (which I can give 30 days notice on). Thus I have the ability to leave but he has no right to evict me. I don't see, however, why I should move out with no compensation when he is disturbing my right to peaceful enjoyment. klegally I have the right to stop the work. What would be fair compensation? I thought he should pay for the extra costs of me moving i.e. the cleaning of the house and return ofg rent if I move out before my notice is cleared. What are your views?

While I have no particular views on the scaffolding, but I suggest you double check your contract. I have never heard of a contract that allows you to serve 30 days notice while you are still within the 6 months fixed term - what would be the point of the 6 months contract for an LL?

You have to consider the amount of disturbance here.

You will have great difficulty persuading the judge that having scafolding around your house is a significant enough intrudance to merit thr remidy that you are suggesting.

Losing the roof is a bit more important but I still don't see that as a large problem.

What is it that you are actually losing here?

tim

Yes it is repeat fixed term with a break clause of 30 days. Quite normal I believe.

You believe wrong! its most unusual. But helpful for you nonetheless.

You obviously have some good cards in your hand as it is unlikley thay anyone else will want to take over the place if you threaten notice.

Edited by Planner

My landlord is building on the plot of land (that used to be my garden) next to me.

If the garden is included in your tenancy agreement then the landlord has no right to build in it, i would go to the CAB and ask them for advice, bring your tenancy agreement with you when you go there.