House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ayatollah Buggeri

Car Insurance Renewal ... Grrrrr!

Had my renewal notice from Tesco today, saying that they were going to relieve my credit card of £410 on the appointed day unless I contacted them and told them not to. I thought I'd get one or two other quotes just to see if they were still reasonably competitive (I chose them last year after a similar process), and it didn't take long to find someone else quoting me £346. So I rang them up and tried an experiment, claiming that I'd in fact been quoted £326. 'Well, we can try applying a loyalty discount, Sir...' was her reply. A series of questions and comments then followed ... maybe she could check out my Clubcard account to see if that would affect the loyalty discount? Do I keep my car in a garage overnight? Ooh, that could make a difference (despite the fact that I told them that last year). The upshot? The deal done for £308.

What makes me really angry is that the £308 is probably the realistic cost for insuring me plus a reasonable profit margin (though it could be that their computer saw, through my Clubcard data, that I spend £200-250 a month in Tesco and therefore decided to sell me the insurance as a slight loss-leader to keep my business, I suppose - but even so, my Clubcard number was linked to the last policy, so they must have had that information to start with), but that they make the cynical assumption that a significant proportion of their customers are going to get the renewal notice, not have the time or inclination to query their quote and end up paying 20-25% over the odds. It seems that you just can't trust anyone you do business with as far as you can throw them!

Guest Noodle

Never put any sort of direct debit onto a credit card...ever. ;)

It particular to car insurance this automatic renewal con-artistry evil. I changed a card once, they couldn't deduct it, I wasn't on that particular island at the time had no idea so they sent me a £100 fine!!!

Don't bother having a car in that country if you can avoid it.

We always dispute any increase in insurances of any kind and tell them we have been quoted lower than them elsewhere.

Invariably it results in some farrago of nonsense like 'loyalty discount' - and a quick reduction in the sum demanded by them.

Buying anything now is about negotiation - not paying what they ask.

You can usually get it for less.

Guest theboltonfury

We always dispute any increase in insurances of any kind and tell them we have been quoted lower than them elsewhere.

Invariably it results in some farrago of nonsense like 'loyalty discount' - and a quick reduction in the sum demanded by them.

Buying anything now is about negotiation - not paying what they ask.

You can usually get it for less.

Each year I ask why has it gone up. Some student tells me that the cost of insurance has gone up. Shortly before he adjusts their quote to match my lowest quote that I've just made him aware of. Every year. It's not even a game, it's just a frustration.

Every year I have the same procedure with Direct line.

I get the renewal notice, which is substantially higher than the previous year's premium, with the note that the amount will be automatically debited from my CC unless I contact them.

So each year, I phone up two weeks before, and tell them NOT to renew the insurance automatically. We then have a little dialog on the phone where they try to re-interest me with a slightly cheaper premium. Somebody said in another post, these people are trained not to give up until they get three NO's. Eventually, they agree to not take an automatic credit card debit.

I then apply online for a quote. This is usually about 15-20% less than the automatic renewal, so then I waste a few days looking at other companies. Finally, I come back to Direct Line, and re-do the quote from scratch.

I get an even cheaper premium than the first quotation. That one I buy.

This year, it went £360 - £308 - £298.

Car insurance costs have shot up. I shop round every year, due to the OP's experience. The renewal cost is always far too high.

Anyway, using all the comparison sites etc, my quote for the same car is 30% higher than 12 months ago. Can't get it any cheaper, believe me I've tried.

Guest Noodle

Car insurance costs have shot up. I shop round every year, due to the OP's experience. The renewal cost is always far too high.

Anyway, using all the comparison sites etc, my quote for the same car is 30% higher than 12 months ago. Can't get it any cheaper, believe me I've tried.

I had that old French diesel in the UK last time I was there. £280 a year. Hunting around online for a quote for the same vehicle (found one with 34k on it), same insurer, 3 years older now . . . £1100 a year.

Only reasonable premium I could find was £370 on a Corsavan, the car version being £300 more than that.

For the amount I'd use one, hiring is cheaper.

Guest Noodle

Enterprise are consistently good on the hiring option as well as being considerably cheaper than other companies.

Dreadful firm. Expensive. Hired out of Heathrow once, Ford Ka, the gear stick knob was missing just had the metal spike! Then this kunt at the destination depot tried some crap on about an invisible dent. "Can you see that? The way slightly curves in?" Me, no I fvcking can't, driven straight here, now go and sign the fvcking paperwork". He could tell I really was about to hurt him. And I was.

National Alamo, good rates, no BS.

To be fair when i worked at an brokers whenever people were caught uninsured they always tried blaming the insurance company for their being uninsured because it 'should automatically renew' despite it clearly saying every policy sold does not automatically renew in large font, through the company i worked for, at least.

Damned if they do, damned if they dont.

On the price issue, theres nothing sinister at play. -Assuming Tescos is a broker and not an insurer the renewal quote is from the same actual insurer (ie aviva, groupama, whoever) and the renewal quote given will only be from that insurer. You actually have to call them up to get them to run the details through to all the insurers they deal with. So, not surprisingly theyll find someone different cheaper each year. Not sure why no-one has developed software that does this automatically. Few years ago now, but the markup we got was only something like on average £20 per policy IIRC - most money was made on the breakdown and legal add-ons, so discounting through the same insurer is usually pretty small - a £5 or £10 difference if youre lucky.

Guest Noodle

To be fair when i worked at an brokers whenever people were caught uninsured they always tried blaming the insurance company for their being uninsured because it 'should automatically renew' despite it clearly saying every policy sold does not automatically renew in large font, through the company i worked for, at least.

On the price issue, theres nothing sinister at play. -Assuming Tescos is a broker and not an insurer the renewal quote is from the same actual insurer (ie aviva, groupama, whoever) and the renewal quote given will only be from that insurer. You actually have to call them up to get them to run the details through to all the insurers they deal with. So, not surprisingly theyll find someone different cheaper each year. Not sure why no-one has developed software that does this automatically. Few years ago now, but the markup we got was only something like on average £20 per policy IIRC - most money was made on the breakdown and legal add-ons, so discounting through the same insurer is usually pretty small - a £5 or £10 difference if youre lucky.

Come on, trade secrets. Quick bullet point list on how to get lowest premiums, who with etc.

Go on, be a love.

Come on, trade secrets. Quick bullet point list on how to get lowest premiums, who with etc.

Go on, be a love.

Not much to spill.

Apparently the legal stuff that people add on for £20-30 actually costs nearer .50p to £1 as it very rarely pays out and theres already a good degree of cover on every policy.

Only people who get really good deals are 'connected' ie friends of bosses getting Bentley continental insurance for a fiver. But i guess thats true of everything.

Aside from that not sounding like a wideboy on the phone helps. They'll only get the underwriters to reduce premiums if you 'sound' like an honest decent upstanding middle class citizen.

Guest Noodle

Not much to spill.

Apparently the legal stuff that people add on for £20-30 actually costs nearer .50p to £1 as it very rarely pays out and theres already a good degree of cover on every policy.

Only people who get really good deals are 'connected' ie friends of bosses getting Bentley continental insurance for a fiver. But i guess thats true of everything.

Aside from that not sounding like a wideboy on the phone helps. They'll only get the underwriters to reduce premiums if you 'sound' like an honest decent upstanding middle class citizen.

May be why I'm getting such high quotes.

Why don't they "run it through" anyway? Why do you have to call them up? Despite your declarations to the contrary, I can't believe there isn't any actuarial software that could do this. They send out enough automated letters and emails.

Why don't they "run it through" anyway? Why do you have to call them up? Despite your declarations to the contrary, I can't believe there isn't any actuarial software that could do this. They send out enough automated letters and emails.

Probably because most people are lazy and will just accept the automated quote.

Probably because most people are lazy and will just accept the automated quote.

Human beings are inherently lazy.

Have to admit that I've always had superb service and by far the best prices from Swiftcover. Never had a claim but everything else has been very efficient and you just download and print your own documents rather than having them come in the post. They've always been significantly cheaper than anyone else - other half is also with them.

Edit: if you go with them sign up with quidco and go through them and you'll get £28 cash back too.

Had my renewal notice from Tesco today, saying that they were going to relieve my credit card of £410 on the appointed day unless I contacted them and told them not to. I thought I'd get one or two other quotes just to see if they were still reasonably competitive (I chose them last year after a similar process), and it didn't take long to find someone else quoting me £346. So I rang them up and tried an experiment, claiming that I'd in fact been quoted £326. 'Well, we can try applying a loyalty discount, Sir...' was her reply. A series of questions and comments then followed ... maybe she could check out my Clubcard account to see if that would affect the loyalty discount? Do I keep my car in a garage overnight? Ooh, that could make a difference (despite the fact that I told them that last year). The upshot? The deal done for £308.

What makes me really angry is that the £308 is probably the realistic cost for insuring me plus a reasonable profit margin (though it could be that their computer saw, through my Clubcard data, that I spend £200-250 a month in Tesco and therefore decided to sell me the insurance as a slight loss-leader to keep my business, I suppose - but even so, my Clubcard number was linked to the last policy, so they must have had that information to start with), but that they make the cynical assumption that a significant proportion of their customers are going to get the renewal notice, not have the time or inclination to query their quote and end up paying 20-25% over the odds. It seems that you just can't trust anyone you do business with as far as you can throw them!

Had the same thing with Tesco a few weeks ago re pet insurance. I chose them last year as they were competitive, but lo and behold, the renewal for 2010 to 2011 was +38% - b&stards!

Needless to say, I ditched them and went with someone cheaper than they were last year and for a better policy.

They think we don't look at our renewal notices. Cretins!