House Price Crash Forum

Not seen this posted elsewhere on HPC. If it has my apologies and mods please merge!

Tour operator Goldtrail has collapsed, leaving thousands of holidaymakers stranded abroad and tens of thousands facing the possibility of losing out on their holidays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10671461

Coming thick and fast now. :unsure:

Never heard of them. Are they big?

Sorry, were they a big company?

I'd not heard of them either. Was going to book a week in Benidorm, but think will avoid travel operators. Just need flights and hotel!

Mods please merge as there is another thread on this.

Not seen this posted elsewhere on HPC. If it has my apologies and mods please merge!

Tour operator Goldtrail has collapsed, leaving thousands of holidaymakers stranded abroad and tens of thousands facing the possibility of losing out on their holidays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-10671461

Coming thick and fast now. :unsure:

Sky news are running the story about 'thousands of holidaymakers being stranded' due to their collapse right now.

Sky news are running the story about 'thousands of holidaymakers being stranded' due to their collapse right now.

16000 people overseas, what a mess :huh:

Edited by LittleSteroid

16000 people overseas, what a mess :huh:

They're also running the story about foreign travel being down (I think they stated Spain was at -20%), and UK hotel reservations being up. We're looking at booking a foreign hol for next easter; I think I'll stick with the big tour operators like Thomson and Thos Cook.

They're also running the story about foreign travel being down (I think they stated Spain was at -20%), and UK hotel reservations being up. We're looking at booking a foreign hol for next easter; I think I'll stick with the big tour operators like Thomson and Thos Cook.

nah, I am going to spend couple of days in Cornwall this summer :P

Probably wise and want to be sure the airline is fairly solid too. Then again little risk if you pay by credit card. Dare say some chavs will be stranded as only having enough to get out there.

And now Sky are doing a rivetting interview with jemma from slough, who's sat on her sofa, and who's lost a holiday in Turkey. She's been looking forward to the hol for 3 months apparently, but may get some or all of her money back. News doesn't get more cutting edge than this.

I'd not heard of them either. Was going to book a week in Benidorm, but think will avoid travel operators. Just need flights and hotel!

As I understand it, package holidays booked through IATA-registered travel operators are protected by the IATA bond, whereas if you book the components of your holiday separately you're on your own. If the individual components cost over £100 and you paid for them with a credit card and to a company based in the UK, you can claim the money back from the card operator under the Consumer Credit Act if they go bust between the time you pay for the service and receive it; but otherwise, you're rogered.

I buy 10-15 long haul flights a year, most of them for work and most of them on the basis that I buy them and then claim them on expenses afterwards. Despite the typical £10-20 credit card booking fee, I always buy them with my credit card, as the booking fee is effectively an insurance premium. The risk happens when you buy directly from a travel agent website based outside the UK: credit card operators are increasingly refusing to refund you if these go bust on the basis that the Consumer Credit Act only covers transactions that take place wholly in Britain, and as far as I'm aware this stance has not yet been tested in court. I have occasionally bought air tickets directly from an airline's US site when the saving was big enough that I felt it worth taking the risk and if the worst came to the worst, I could afford to lose the money. But that is definitely a case of caveat emptor.