House Price Crash Forum
Smartflea

How Long Should It Take..?

A quick question on which I'd appreciate some opinions from the experienced buyers on the forum: in a no-chain sale (both vendor and buyer chain free), about how long should it take for a transaction to be completed? Assuming that both are inclined to move as soon as possible, that is. I keep reading things like on-average-3 months, which seems a very long time if there aren't any chain complications. TIA

A quick question on which I'd appreciate some opinions from the experienced buyers on the forum: in a no-chain sale (both vendor and buyer chain free), about how long should it take for a transaction to be completed? Assuming that both are inclined to move as soon as possible, that is. I keep reading things like on-average-3 months, which seems a very long time if there aren't any chain complications. TIA

The solicitors will drag it out for this long.

If you want it to be quicker you will have to presure them into doing so.

The solicitors always blame each other for why it's dragging on. We were waiting for essential bits of paper - boiler certificate missing, fensa cert had a mistake etc. Our solicitor wouldn't work on the next bit until she had finished the previous bit.

The reasoning was that it would be a waste of my money if the purchase fell through. I disagreed with her logic, but there was nothing I could do except for getting the estate agent to speak to the vendor, who, it turned out, wasn't being asked for the right documents by his solicitor.

We had no house to sell, the house we moved into was unoccupied and it took 3 months including almost daily emails to solicitor and estate agent. Completed yesterday. Yay!

Actually I get things through as quick as possible, especially when work is a little slow.

A cash purchase can be done in a week with both solicitors playing the game. You just need to stress the urgency and be prepared to pay a bit more if you need an expidited service, like most things.

Realistically, a normal house purchase with a mortgage could complete in a month without too much effort, as long as all requested for information from the solicitors is dealt with promptly.

Obviously this is for a house with no issues, if you are talking water mains through gardens, dodgy conversions and unregistered land things drastically change.

Leasehold / freehold can also make a difference in transaction time.

With leasehold there are further parties involved (freeholder and / or their agent, plus managing agent).

My two "chain free" transactions were both leasehold, one took three months and the other was closer to four.

Most recent purchase, chain free on both sides was 11 weeks from Offer Accepted to Completion. Would've been 10 weeks but we needed to allow time between exchange and completion to cash in our savings and get the funds ready. Could've been 9 weeks or maybe even 8 if there weren't issues to resolve such as consent on an extension and confusion over road names (i.e. is the road adopted).

Previous purchase to that that was chain free took 12 weeks.

Having your solicitor next door to where you work is handy because you can call around to collect documents rather than waiting for the post. You can also call in and ask for things ... harder to fob you off in person than on the phone!!